Pelikan M605 - it's a keeper

Old October 13th 04, 09:19 PM
Sonam Dasara

Default Pelikan M605 - it's a keeper

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:49:29 GMT, Mike G. wrote:

Hiya Folks...

Of course I could not pass up the 99 dollar sale price on the M605 at
Levenger. Well, it arrived today, and I was much pleased to see that they
are shipping with the 14 kt nib. A bit more flex than the 18k. This is, as
they say, a good thing.

snip for brevity.

Is their quality control getting better? Or did I just get lucky? Inquiring
minds (mine) certainly want to know....

Mike G.

I agree. Mine was great out of the box, and I too like a wet writer. I
ordered a broad, and am very happy with it, especially for $99!

--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/13/2004 4:17:26 PM
dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old October 16th 04, 07:29 PM
G. L. Pease

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:19:20 -0700, Sonam Dasara wrote
(in message ):

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:49:29 GMT, Mike G. wrote:

Hiya Folks...

Of course I could not pass up the 99 dollar sale price on the M605 at
Levenger. Well, it arrived today, and I was much pleased to see that they
are shipping with the 14 kt nib. A bit more flex than the 18k. This is, as
they say, a good thing.

snip for brevity.

Is their quality control getting better? Or did I just get lucky? Inquiring
minds (mine) certainly want to know....

Mike G.

I agree. Mine was great out of the box, and I too like a wet writer. I
ordered a broad, and am very happy with it, especially for $99!

Ditto. I ordered mine with a fine point, and the pen was perfect from the
start. Most of my Pelikans have been tweaked, either a little or a lot,
other than my vintages ones. This will remain as-is - I can think of no
way to improve it. Flow is just right, the point is smooth, and the line
width is very nice - slightly braoder than many other makers' fine, but
certainly finer than any of my mediums.

-glp

-glp

--
Gregory Pease
G. L. Pease Tobaccos

The Briar and Leaf Chronicles: http://www.glpease.com/Chronicles
Read the latest - Aged, or just Old - Vintage Tobaccos and Cigars

Old October 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Bluesea

"G. L. Pease" wrote in message
al.NET...

Ditto. I ordered mine with a fine point, and the pen was perfect from the
start. Most of my Pelikans have been tweaked, either a little or a lot,
other than my vintages ones. This will remain as-is - I can think of no
way to improve it. Flow is just right, the point is smooth, and the line
width is very nice - slightly braoder than many other makers' fine, but
certainly finer than any of my mediums.

Sounds good. For $99, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and I'm eager to
see what my pen will be like, but I don't dare hold my breath waiting for
its arrival. I ordered an extra fine because I prefer a finer fine and
they're currently out-of-stock until the end of the month.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 18th 04, 04:09 AM
Bozack

if it had been dipped wouldn't it also show trace amounts of ink and yet
still not be considered used? would you have returned it if there was a
slight amount of ink present after the flush? just wondering at what lengths
people go to ensure they got something new...

Also got a 605 but never inked it yet, and don't plan on flushing
beforehand to verify *newness*

"Mike G." wrote in message
t...
Hiya Folks...

Of course I could not pass up the 99 dollar sale price on the M605 at
Levenger. Well, it arrived today, and I was much pleased to see that they
are shipping with the 14 kt nib. A bit more flex than the 18k. This is, as
they say, a good thing.

Opened the box, gave it a quick once over with the loupe, and to my
amazement, everything was aligned properly. Oh my. Gave it a quick flush
(it
was squeaky clean, so it was obviously not a return), and filled it with
Noodlers Legal Lapis.

To my utter amazement (this is a *modern* pen, remember), flow was great
right out of the box. It's a medium, and I like them wet, and this one is
just a tad wetter than my old style M400 that I use as a benchmark. Gasps
of
amazement. It's smooth as silk, and I cannot contain my glee. Now, I
haven't
bought a Pelikan since the old SRW days, and this is the first one I've
ever
owned (other than the old style M400 that I found hidden in a stationery
store in Manhattan about six years ago), that I'm not sending back for a
nib exchange, or picking up a replacement nib from John M. (I've done
both).

Old October 20th 04, 04:34 AM
Free Citizen

"Bozack" wrote in message
if it had been dipped wouldn't it also show trace amounts of ink and yet
still not be considered used? would you have returned it if there was a
slight amount of ink present after the flush? just wondering at what
lengths people go to ensure they got something new...

Also got a 605 but never inked it yet, and don't plan on flushing
beforehand to verify *newness*

[snip]

Hi Bozack,

A new pen on display in a counter could have been tested by 10 people before
you bought it. It would still be considered new because it has never been
sold before. For me, the important thing is that it writes well and on close
inspection everything appears to be in order. Whether there is ink in the
feed or not is secondary.

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

Old October 20th 04, 11:08 PM
Bozack

Thanks Free,

I feel the same way and often wonder about people who seem to over-obsess
when it comes to newness and what not...life is far too short to worry about
if someone looked at your pen before it became yours IMHO.

thanks

Old October 21st 04, 02:22 PM
Joe

I think you're right on! When it comes to purchasing a pen I'm
planning to use, I don't care if it's been dipped or inked, as long as
the previous user kept it in prestine condition and flushed it out
regularly and before storing it. Some of the pens in my collection
have seen significant use, but I think are better than "NIB"
condition, because they are all proven to be reliable writers, which I
keep in pristine condition by flushing regularly and before storage,
and use high-quality inks in them. When I purchase a pen like these, I
don't have to wonder whether or not it will be a reliable writer -
it's already proven itself to be!

Joe

Old October 23rd 04, 02:23 PM
John B. Egger

Mike G. wrote:
[...]

Just a followup to my thread of October 4, "Anyone find the 605 a bit
scratchy?"

Following David, garglemonster, and Sonam's advice, I returned the pen
to Levenger. I called on a Thursday and I had the replacement pen on
Monday; Levenger asked me to ship the original one back via its prepaid
FedEx return. I repackaged the first pen in the packaging in which the
second had come, and FedEx picked it up at my house on Tuesday. GREAT
service!

The new 605 writes perfectly and is, like so many of you guys', a
"keeper." It's quickly become my current favorite everyday shirt-pocket
pen... well, I often carry my Vanishing Point too.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old October 23rd 04, 05:42 PM
Sonam Dasara

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:23:04 GMT, John B. Egger typed:

Mike G. wrote:
[...]

I'm glad that things worked out for you! Pelikans are great pens - not
glamorous (except for the "City" series) - but well made pens that write
well and are a great bargain (especially at $99!)
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/23/2004 12:41:17 PM