FORUM ISSUE: Please refrain from off-topic discussions.

Old December 4th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
socraticquest

Default FORUM ISSUE: Please refrain from off-topic discussions.

How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error
Coins?'

Too many off-topic responses!

Thank-you
Old December 4th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 4, 11:31*am, socraticquest wrote:
How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error
Coins?'

Too many off-topic responses!

Thank-you

GO **** YOURSELF while we have some beers.

oly
Old December 4th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"socraticquest" wrote:

Too many off-topic responses!

Welcome to Usenet. The Real World is down the hall and a sharp left
past your ego. A moderated forum like CoinTalk may be more to your
liking.

-- Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
everything. Some think it is the voice of God. -- Mark Twain

Old December 4th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie

"socraticquest" wrote in message
How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Take a loaded pistol, put the business end in your mouth aiming upward, pull
trigger. There, that mean old thread won't bother you any longer.

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error Coins?'

Assuming you haven't yet taken my advice regarding your first question, why not
pop open a can of beer and chill out?

Too many off-topic responses!

Poor baby, forced to read them all.

Thank-you

You're welcome.

Old December 4th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 12/04/2010
at 01:31 PM, "Beanie" said:

Take a loaded pistol, put the business end in your mouth aiming upward,
pull trigger. There, that mean old thread won't bother you any longer.

Ok. I almost killfiled you before, as you didn't seem to be very smart.
Now I see my first impulse was correct. You're an idiot AND an asshole.
This is the second completely dumb reply I've seen from you in a week. Both

Perhaps you should try following your own advise?

It IS a shame that anyone with a computer can post, and post any moronic
thing that comes out of their brain. It's also a big Usenet plus at times.
This isn't one of those times.

plonk

Nick
Old December 4th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"socraticquest" wrote in message
How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error
Coins?'

Too many off-topic responses!

Thank-you

Hello

You could join a more controlled Newsgroup instead
of Global Usenet. Google and Yahoo have their own
alternative newsgroups. Below is one example from
Yahoo Groups.

Old December 4th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 12/04/2010
at 01:31 PM, "Beanie" said:

Take a loaded pistol, put the business end in your mouth aiming upward,
pull trigger. There, that mean old thread won't bother you any longer.

Ok. I almost killfiled you before, as you didn't seem to be very smart.
Now I see my first impulse was correct. You're an idiot AND an asshole.
This is the second completely dumb reply I've seen from you in a week. Both

Perhaps you should try following your own advise?

It IS a shame that anyone with a computer can post, and post any moronic
thing that comes out of their brain. It's also a big Usenet plus at times.
This isn't one of those times.

plonk

It seems that most posters here consider you to be a gigantic asshole and
spammer.
Nobody gives a **** what you think or who you killfile.
Do us all a favor and kill yourself, you pathetic loser.

Old December 5th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on
12/04/2010
at 09:31 AM, socraticquest said:

How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error Coins?'

Too many off-topic responses!

Well, sir, you may not have gathered from my previous post ... but I agree
with you completely as to how often and quickly a thread can get off-track
here. While I don't know many of the folks who post here personally, my
perception is that there are some older, retired folk "here" where this is
their only way to socialize. They do not care that this isn't the proper
place for it, nor that they aren't actually socializing ... not like real
people do. They like to argue politics and compare past experiences, all
un-coin-related. If we didn't have these conversations, the place would be
much quieter. Oddly, I've even heard posters JUSTIFY their off-topic posts
because of this ... it was too quiet. Why not fill the void, in a
coin-collecting newsgroup, with rubbish?!! See how much better that is.

The one moron who repied to you previously, well, I'm not sure where
he/she/it came from, but I've only noticed this poster more recently. As
you can tell from the post's depth and quick-whit, there isn't much you can
call "well balanced" there. I assume he/she's another one of those lonely
soles who thinks he/she's participating in a social event "here", and you've
theatened its very being. That's not an excuse ... I'm just trying to talk
it out.

Fortunately, you've received some more reasonable replies. The bottom line
is that, in an international and public forum like this, you can't really
stop anyone from posting, nomatter how poor a use of human skin they are.
Your best bet is to learn how to use killfiles. It you "kill" stupidity as
it presents itself, you end up with far less bile to sort through. Quality
goes up, noise goes down. It seems to be a never-ending job; as one
disappears (virtually or really), there always seems to be someone else that
pops up.

The world needs more old-folk's mixers or something. Perhaps we can fix old
"Beanie" up with someone who can relieve his/her/its stress.

Nick
Old December 5th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

[...]

A foolproof solution for those of you who encounter an unwanted OT post
in RCC or notice that a coin-related thread has wandered OT is to simply
ignore it. Nothing fancy. No killfiles, psychological poster analysis, or
posted rants necessary. Just ignore the damn thing. When these threads
prosper, there obviously are some RCC'ers who must enjoy them. If you're
not one of them, i-g-n-o-r-e the posts and stop whining like you're being
forced to read every thing you see here. Personally, I would rather follow
most non-political OT threads here than read repetative posts that steer
people to one's latest eBay auctions.

Recent Book Discussions Scott Books 0 November 9th 06 01:51 PM
FAQ: For "Discussions" post as many times as you want in rec.collecting.cards.discuss Jeff Jacob Cards:- non-sport 4 November 6th 04 06:22 AM
off topic Mark S. Autographs 0 October 2nd 04 05:11 PM
FS: Montreal Canadiens "Forum Gift Shop" Back Issue Catalogs J.R. Sinclair Hockey 0 September 9th 04 07:17 AM