Pesidential dollars

Old November 19th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Pesidential dollars

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of the new presidential
dollars?

I live in a town of about 3,000 folks and there are 5 banks. The coins
are not available from any of them. My own bank tells me they can't get
them.

There's a branch office of The Bank of America. They can't get the
coins.

I thought these coins were for general circulation, thus seems should be
available from any bank.

Only source I have found is through the U.S. Mint for about $40 for 25
coins. It doesn't seem fair that anyone should have to pay more than
face value for coins made for general circulation. Why aren't they
available at some banks?

Old November 19th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

On Nov 19, 1:04 am, wrote:
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of the new presidential
dollars?

I live in a town of about 3,000 folks and there are 5 banks. The coins
are not available from any of them. My own bank tells me they can't get
them.

There's a branch office of The Bank of America. They can't get the
coins.

I thought these coins were for general circulation, thus seems should be
available from any bank.

Only source I have found is through the U.S. Mint for about $40 for 25
coins. It doesn't seem fair that anyone should have to pay more than
face value for coins made for general circulation. Why aren't they
available at some banks?

Your bank tellers are either lying to you (since ordering dollar coins
is as easy as ordering nickels) or clueless. Talk to the bank manager.
If they still feed you this line, talk to a regional toll-free
customer service telephone representative. Tell them your problem with
the local branch.

First, read the info on the Federal Reserve and the Mint website. They
are supposed to be available at face value in almost any quantity you
want from any real bank in the USA. If the local banks continue to
refuse to order and carry them as regular money, you can also contact
your congressperson and Senators.

http://www.frbservices.org/Cash/commemcoin.html

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?action=PresFAQ
Old November 19th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of the new presidential
dollars?

I live in a town of about 3,000 folks and there are 5 banks. The coins
are not available from any of them. My own bank tells me they can't get
them.

There's a branch office of The Bank of America. They can't get the
coins.

I thought these coins were for general circulation, thus seems should be
available from any bank.

Only source I have found is through the U.S. Mint for about $40 for 25
coins. It doesn't seem fair that anyone should have to pay more than
face value for coins made for general circulation. Why aren't they
available at some banks?

I bet if you told your local BofA bank that the new presidential dollars can
be sold for $2.50 each, they'd suddenly be able to order them (for
themselves?)-- just like my own local BofA can.

Old November 19th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
E.v.S.

On Nov 19, 7:36 am, Edwin Johnston wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of the new presidential
dollars?

I live in a town of about 3,000 folks and there are 5 banks. The coins
are not available from any of them. My own bank tells me they can't get
them.

There's a branch office of The Bank of America. They can't get the
coins.

I thought these coins were for general circulation, thus seems should be
available from any bank.

Only source I have found is through the U.S. Mint for about $40 for 25
coins. It doesn't seem fair that anyone should have to pay more than
face value for coins made for general circulation. Why aren't they
available at some banks?

Themz are breaks of living in a small town, I guess.
Can you pick up the New York Times every morning at the Starbucks?
Good newz is that they make so darn many of them, so many sellers offer
them relatively inexpensively. I've seen them offered in the classifieds
of Numismatic News for as low as $26.50 for a roll of twenty five coins,
plus postage.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry, but I must ask why anyone would want to collect these high
mintage, poorly made examples of coinage, my God these are some of the
ugliest coins this fine country has ever produced, yours.... E.v.S.
Old November 19th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

wrote:
[...]

Well, for one, these are the first coins that will feature the run of US
Presidents, so many will collect for educational reasons, pretty much
same as state quarters program.
It's not going to be a money maker, but neither were the bicentennial
coins of 1975-1976.
Old November 20th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:
[...]

Same reason tons of people collect high-mintage state quarters, many of
which could be termed ugly (the quarters). If you're a coin collector and
want to include each new circulation denomination in your collection, you're
committed to whatever is minted. Most new issues can be obtained for face
value, which makes it even easier. Personally, I don't consider any of our
current coins to be particularly attractive, but I still order annual proof
and mint sets out of habit.

Bruce

Old November 20th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Nov 19, 7:44 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

Same reason tons of people collect high-mintage state quarters, many of
which could be termed ugly (the quarters). If you're a coin collector and
want to include each new circulation denomination in your collection, you're
committed to whatever is minted. Most new issues can be obtained for face
value, which makes it even easier. Personally, I don't consider any of our
current coins to be particularly attractive, but I still order annual proof
and mint sets out of habit.

Compared to US coinage of the past, today's coins are pretty ugly.
Still the Lincoln cent has a homely appeal and I rather like the new
nickel design.
Old November 20th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"RF" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 7:44 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

Same reason tons of people collect high-mintage state quarters, many of
which could be termed ugly (the quarters). If you're a coin collector
and
want to include each new circulation denomination in your collection,
you're
committed to whatever is minted. Most new issues can be obtained for
face
value, which makes it even easier. Personally, I don't consider any of
our
current coins to be particularly attractive, but I still order annual
proof
and mint sets out of habit.

Compared to US coinage of the past, today's coins are pretty ugly.
Still the Lincoln cent has a homely appeal and I rather like the new
nickel design.

I do like the early Lincolns, before that savage facelift. Among our
current coins, the Sac dollar design isn't too bad. The nickel, dime,
quarter, and half are tired-looking to me. I can't get excited about state
quarters, although I can understand their appeal to a beginning collector
with a modest budget. As for the presidential dollars, I can't help myself
from picking up a roll of each from the bank when each new one comes out.
Otherwise, I wouldn't even know what they look like were it not for photos
in the coin newspapers, since I have never encountered a dollar coin in
circulation. I suppose that's not really collecting, but I'd bet lots of
others do the same thing.

My interests remain with the pre-1900 coins and I have "matured" over the
years to appreciate quality instead of quantity. But I still can't bring
myself to part with the "quantity" I've accumulated over the past fifty
years.

Bruce