RCC Tokens

Old May 23rd 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Default RCC Tokens

On 5/22/2010 8:52 PM, cnntp wrote:

IIRC one auction ended there around.
I was watching it but when it went over $40.00 I stopped bidding.

Poking around a little bit ... Here's a thread from 2003 indicating that
the first RCC medal, the one ember, did sell for $10 when introduced.
It's not clear if they were all sold in this way. But they soon wound up
on eBay, with some hammer prices exceeding $100.

http://tinyurl.com/2d3grnk

or

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...4bcfb938077156

Other threads indicated this bidding frenzy died down, and at least in
the mid-2000s the typical eBay hammer price was $30 to $40.

I acquired mine in a trade with Ian Milne, another former regular here,
someone who I used to tussle with a bit here but who I later became
friendly with. We did several trades.

Among the areas I specialize in are ancient Athenian Owls and their
copies. I also like quirky stuff, and this piece squarely falls into
this realm.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old May 23rd 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On May 22, 10:43*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

I acquired mine in a trade with Ian Milne, another former regular here,
someone who I used to tussle with a bit here but who I later became
friendly with. We did several trades.

Ian is still with us, but not as often as usual. He has been quite
busy in the non-numismatic world, you know, work, fixing up the house
etc.

Jud -Reports of my demise are premature-

PS...Did you end your penultimate sentence with a preposition? Tsk tsk
tsk.

Old May 23rd 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 5/23/2010 1:36 AM, Jud wrote:

PS...Did you end your penultimate sentence with a preposition? Tsk tsk
tsk.

That was last considered bad grammar about a half century ago. At least
on this side of the pond. Among many cites online about this:

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarf...sitionmyth.htm

Old May 23rd 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 5/23/2010 1:36 AM, Jud wrote:

PS...Did you end your penultimate sentence with a preposition? Tsk tsk
tsk.

That was last considered bad grammar about a half century ago. At least
on this side of the pond. Among many cites online about this:

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarf...sitionmyth.htm

as churchill said, that is something up to which i shall not put!
beats the lame crap chmberlain spewed.
Old May 23rd 10, 08:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Jud" wrote in message
On May 22, 10:43 pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

snipped - TB;DR

PS...Did you end your penultimate sentence with a preposition? Tsk tsk
tsk.

But he'd never start a sentence with a conjunction.

--
Jeff R.

Old May 23rd 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 5/22/2010 10:43 PM, Reid Goldsborough wrote:

Poking around a little bit ... Here's a thread from 2003 indicating that
the first RCC medal, the one ember, did sell for $10 when introduced.
It's not clear if they were all sold in this way. But they soon wound up
on eBay, with some hammer prices exceeding $100.

Did anybody here actually buy one of the original RCC one ember tokens
for $10? In Google Grouping around, I noticed a lot of discussion of
them before they were sold and discussion of them selling on eBay
afterward. But I couldn't find any announcement that they were finished
and now for sale. This was eight years ago, but I don't remember this
either.

Old May 23rd 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 22, 5:36�am, nohope587 wrote:
Thank you all for your input.
I recognize that they do not have much if any intrinsic value.
I have five each of
2002 5 Embers
2003 10 Embers
2004? Half Flame
I have a couple of the original tokens and a spark. But unlike Mr.
Goldsborough I like those and intend to keep them around a bit longer.
I will construct a sale thread i guess and see if there are any takers
$25 would also seem to me to be more than reasonable.

Richard (nohope587)

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 5/21/2010 11:30 PM, Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Eric can get indications of what the entire group of these have sold for
in the past...

Actually not Eric but Richard, the OP.- Hide quoted text -

Say, "Hello," Richard. (Borrowed from the Rocky Horror Show).

I'll toss my own trime's worth of info here. For the most part, the
RCC tokens don't seem to be anything more than a novelty anymore.
Sad, too, because they're pretty good works of art with a lot of
thought and input by a close bunch of people.

Doing a google search from the old days, Eric Tillery sold a complete
set of six different tokens for the RCC Legal Defense Fund and brought
in $255.00. Granted the high price realized was in part due to the
reason for the auction. I seem to remember another set being sold a
couple of years later for $135.00.

Jerry
Old May 23rd 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 22, 8:52�pm, "cnntp" wrote:
? "Reid Goldsborough" ?????? ??? ...

On 5/22/2010 7:40 PM, cnntp wrote:

1) the average price for the Athena medal was around $50.00-$60.00 back

Do you know/remember what this Athena RCC one ember medal sold for when it
was released in 2002? It was $10, according to one poster back in 2004,
though he indicated uncertainty about this.

I couldn't say as I was not reading rcc that time:-(
But....I doubt the issue price was just $10.00...
Maybe someone who acquired one token directly from the source could offer
his/her insight.

Interesting that it reached as high as $60 at one point. Didn't know that.
Another poster indicated in 2005 that they were then selling for about
$35.

IIRC one auction ended there around.
I was watching it but when it went over $40.00 I stopped bidding.

rgrds

I was the one who wrote the original issue prices post back in 2004.
Read my earlier post about Eric's LDF auction. I wrote the issue
price of the 1 Ember being $10, and the remaining tokens issue priced
at $15. I have two complete sets, including the Spark tokens.

Jerry
Old May 23rd 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 23, 12:58�pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 5/22/2010 10:43 PM, Reid Goldsborough wrote:

Poking around a little bit ... Here's a thread from 2003 indicating that
the first RCC medal, the one ember, did sell for $10 when introduced.
It's not clear if they were all sold in this way. But they soon wound up
on eBay, with some hammer prices exceeding $100.

Did anybody here actually buy one of the original RCC one ember tokens
for $10? In Google Grouping around, I noticed a lot of discussion of
them before they were sold and discussion of them selling on eBay
afterward. But I couldn't find any announcement that they were finished
and now for sale. This was eight years ago, but I don't remember this
either.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

http://tinyurl.com/2fnma9n

Jerry
Old May 24th 10, 10:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On May 21, 11:30*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 5/21/2010 10:47 PM, Bruce Remick wrote:

Er

You should do something about this problem.

he simply asked if these were still collected by rcc members and
what their value might be. *Gogu gave him a pretty good idea in a single
sentence.

And I gave background as I observed it on how the first token came into
existence. And you feel you have to offer your sage commentary on my
doing this. Got to stick your two cents in no matter what. Not even two
cents, more like a farthing. No, not even a farthing, more like a
chocolate coin that fell behind a sofa cushion a couple of years ago and
is now chalky white and worthless.

Gogu's offer is one indication of the value of the first of these, but
only one person's, which is not a "pretty good idea" of its value, and
this was just for the first token whereas the OP indicated he had a
bunch of these, suggesting different ones. Along with asking here, Eric
can get indications of what the entire group of these have sold for in
the past by doing a Google search, or I can:

http://www.collectingbanter.com/show...t=33830&page=3
andhttp://www.cointalk.com/t57/

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

I wouldn't give more than $20 for it and shipping would need too be
free.

RCC tokens John[_6_] Coins 18 June 6th 08 06:06 PM
Help me ID these tokens, please Cliff Coins 1 December 4th 06 07:37 PM
tokens thelivinglady Coins 4 May 2nd 06 05:27 AM
FA: Exonumia, Counterstamps, 'Good Fors', Billiards Tokens, Magic Tokens, Military Medals and more Josh Moran Coins 0 February 10th 06 05:59 PM
FA: Communion Tokens, Hawaiian Tokens & Medals SiCordova Coins 0 September 14th 04 09:19 PM