Pretty strong stuff for a hobby publication!

Old February 12th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Pretty strong stuff for a hobby publication!

An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6218

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly
Old February 12th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
stonej

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=....

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Yeah, Pat Heller is just a ray of sunshine isn't he? As if we don't
have enough things to be worried about....
Old February 12th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6218

KP has been moving in the direction of politics and religion way too much
over the past few months. They need to refocus on numismatics, seeing as
how that is part of the title of their flagship coin publication.

James

Old February 12th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

stonej wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:09 am, oly wrote:
An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Yeah, Pat Heller is just a ray of sunshine isn't he? As if we don't
have enough things to be worried about....

Nothing sells quite like pessimism.

James

Old February 12th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6218

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Aw, Oly. You know I can't handle that much small print. And from my work
experience, I've learned never to rely on one pundit's opinion. You can
continue to feed an uncer and wring your hands raw if you like. I prefer to
stay positive. It's worked for me for almost 70 years so far through many
similar doom predictions.

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. I'll soon see what the
economy has done to THAT hobby.

Old February 12th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 12, 9:17*am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Aw, Oly. *You know I can't handle that much small print. *And from my work
experience, I've learned never to rely on one pundit's opinion. *You can
continue to feed an uncer and wring your hands raw if you like. *I prefer to
stay positive. *It's worked for me for almost 70 years so far through many
similar doom predictions.

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. *I'll soon see what the
economy has done to THAT hobby.

The ones I collect are down to 37 cents per pound, about 50% below
last summer's high...

oly
Old February 13th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"oly" wrote in message
An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6218

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Aw, Oly. You know I can't handle that much small print.

Yeah, they cram so much other junk into the page that they have to set
the text in agate to keep the scrolling to a minimum. If you have IE
and a wheel mouse, try doing CONTROL-wheel movement. Up increases the
size of web pages on the screen, down decreases it. You may have to
recenter the page horizontally, but it's a godsend when viewing fine
print.

And from my work experience, I've learned never to rely on one
pundit's opinion. You can continue to feed an uncer and wring your
hands raw if you like. I prefer to stay positive. It's worked for
me for almost 70 years so far through many similar doom predictions.

Me too, but that's in the long run. The long run is punctuated by
occasional downward spikes of varying duration and magnitude. The
question for investment money right now is how high will PMs go for
how long in the current turmoil. PMs undoubtedly will continue to
rise (with their own ups and downs) until their bubble becomes
unsustainable and investors start looking for the next big thing.

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. I'll soon see
what the economy has done to THAT hobby.

Does anyone grade and slab alcohol containers?

Old February 15th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

There is an established grading scale for beer cans but there have been no
slabs yet, thank goodness. Back from the show today, the 1000 collectors we
had last Feb were down to about 800 this year. Likely an economy effect
since collectors come from all over the US and Canada. But on the other
hand, the money was flowing like always. Like coins, collectors are
becoming more picky about what they buy, but they still seem to have no
qualms about plucking down a couple grand on a rare can or piece of
breweriana.

Old February 15th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

breweriana.- Hide quoted text -

Could it be that we don't have people coming form other countries like
last year trying to buy up all the gold?
Old February 15th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. I'll soon
see what the economy has done to THAT hobby.

Does anyone grade and slab alcohol containers?

There is an established grading scale for beer cans but there have
been no slabs yet, thank goodness. Back from the show today, the
1000 collectors we had last Feb were down to about 800 this year.
Likely an economy effect since collectors come from all over the US
and Canada. But on the other hand, the money was flowing like
always. Like coins, collectors are becoming more picky about what
they buy, but they still seem to have no qualms about plucking down
a couple grand on a rare can or piece of breweriana.

We have a big gun show running this weekend. My brother shared a
table, said the attendees were lined up a dozen deep to get in. A
sign of the times?