Is GEC a legitimate rating service?

Old February 14th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Default Is GEC a legitimate rating service?

Is GEC a legitimate rating service? I was at an auuction where I saw a GEC
MS-67 1887 Morgan dollar. It looked pretty good but I don't think it was as
clean as another MS-65 I saw.

Old February 14th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 6:40*pm, "jack" wrote:
Is GEC a legitimate rating service? *I was at an auuction where I saw a GEC
MS-67 1887 Morgan dollar. *It looked pretty good but I don't think it was as
clean as another MS-65 I saw.

WTF is GEC? Do you have a link to what you are referring to?

For less than a penny's worth of plastic, anybody can put a coin in a
holder and label it whatever grade they want these days.
Old February 14th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"jack" wrote in message
Is GEC a legitimate rating service? I was at an auuction where I saw a

GEC
MS-67 1887 Morgan dollar. It looked pretty good but I don't think it was

as
clean as another MS-65 I saw.

Absolutely not. They are self slabbers.Which means they use thier own coins
and grade them whatever they want. 90% of thier Morgans are graded MS 67.
You'll be lucky if you get a cleaned Uncirculated coin.

Old February 15th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Feb 14, 7:13*pm, "jack" wrote:
"don't look" don't wrote in ...

Absolutely not. They are self slabbers.Which means they use thier own
coins
and grade them whatever they want. 90% of thier Morgans are graded MS 67.
You'll be lucky if you get a cleaned Uncirculated coin.

Makes sense to me. *last night I attended an auction that had a GEC MS67
rated 1887 Morgan dollar .
No way was that a MS67 coin. *Today I attended a show where I saw a Morgan
dollar MS63 that looked as good as the
GEC MS67. * I usuall collect proof coins but I'm learning the hard way about
other coins. *BTW, that GEC MS67 morgan dollar sold for $84.00
after paying commision. I didn't buy it. *It's probably worth maybe $40..00
max.

I guess I tend to trust what I see and if I feel I can see value in a
coin I am usually willing to bid close to what I think it is worth.
Even so, if a particularly high price was asked, or I was interested
in many such coins, I'd want to know more about GEC.

On their web site, they say, "GEC does not guarantee the grade and
authenticity of the coins it certifies and encapsulates in an GEC
holder."

Buying an expensive coin without being able to make simple tests
(e.g., measuring the coin accurately and weighing it) and also lacking
a graders guarantee of authenticity seem (potentially) like harsh
terms.
Old February 15th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Feb 14, 8:16*pm, Peter wrote:
On their web site, they say, "GEC does not guarantee the grade and
authenticity of the coins it certifies and encapsulates in an GEC
holder."

Not exactly. There are -two- statements on their website.

We do guarantee the coin to be authentic and will stand by the
authentication of the coin to be minted by the mint represented in the
offering. However, that guarantee is a limited guarantee.
http://www.gecgrading.com/Aword.html

GEC does not guarantee the grade and authenticity of the coins it
certifies and encapsulates in an GEC holder
http://www.gecgrading.com/Terms.htm

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Identity means Non-contradiction"
Old February 15th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Feb 14, 5:40*pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
Absolutely not. They are self slabbers.Which means they ...

We all put coins in flips and 2x2s and mark the date and Mint and
grade and other information.

We all have seen coins in 2x2s with erroneous information, usually
innocent and inconsequential, but sometimes not.

We are -all- "self-slabbers."

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Learning costs but is cheaper than ignorance."
Old February 15th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

certifies and encapsulates in an GEC holderhttp://www.gecgrading.com/Terms.htm

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Identity means Non-contradiction"

Mine was exact. I noticed both. The one that "does not guarantee" is
trouble.

If you wish to trust any other statement they make after seeing the
one I mentioned, feel free. I will not.