Question about Presidential $1 Coin Act

Old September 2nd 04, 11:19 PM
Nick Cassaro

Default Question about Presidential $1 Coin Act

When the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004 says it would create First
Lady bullion coins of .9999% gold, do they really mean that or do they
mean 99.99% or even 9.999%?

—Nick Cassaro, who someday is going to pay the supermarket a penny when
he sees a sign that says "Bananas .99˘"
Old September 2nd 04, 11:48 PM
Bob Flaminio

Nick Cassaro wrote:
When the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004 says it would create First
Lady bullion coins of .9999% gold, do they really mean that or do they
mean 99.99% or even 9.999%?

Honestly, at this point I don't think the authors have any idea what
they mean. Current US gold coins are either .900 fine (modern commems,
emulating the historical standards for gold coins) or .9167 (bullion,
emulating Krugerrands, which were the rage back in 1986). Canadian gold
has been .9999 fine for a while, and maybe that's what they mean -- but
this could mean an expensive proposition, as it's not particularly easy
to make gold that fine.

The enormity of collecting a series of 40+ gold coins is not lost on
this collector.

--
Bob

Old September 3rd 04, 02:03 PM
Fred Shecter

H.R.3916
Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004' . (Reported in House)

SEC. 4. FIRST SPOUSE BULLION COIN PROGRAM.

Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code, is amended by inserting after subsection
(n) (as added by section 3 of this Act) the following new subsection:

`(o) FIRST SPOUSE BULLION COIN PROGRAM-

`(1) IN GENERAL- During the same period in which the $1 coins are issued under
subsection (n) which are emblematic of the Presidents of the United
States, the Secretary of the Treasury shall issue bullion coins under this subsection that
are emblematic of the spouse of each such President.

`(2) SPECIFICATIONS- The coins issued under this subsection shall--

`(A) have the same diameter as the $1 coins described in subsection (n);

`(B) weigh 0.5 ounce; and

`(C) contain 99.99 percent pure gold.
I guess it's time to read that again. did you get your bad numbers from Thomas or a
second-hand source? (S.2744 says the same thing, BTW)

-Fred Shecter
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

Old September 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
ELurio

I just thought that it might be nice to note that the gold bullion coin part ot
the act was changed in order to get rid of all presidential spouses who weren't
actually alive and living in the white house when their husbands were serving
as president.

Now what about the "presidents of the united states in congress assembled" who
were sort of heads of state during the confederation period...should they be
included too?

eric l.
Old September 3rd 04, 04:04 PM
Dale Hallmark

"ELurio" wrote in message
I just thought that it might be nice to note that the gold bullion coin part ot
the act was changed in order to get rid of all presidential spouses who weren't
actually alive and living in the white house when their husbands were serving
as president.

Now what about the "presidents of the united states in congress assembled" who
were sort of heads of state during the confederation period...should they be
included too?

eric l.

And President of the South :-)

Dale

Old September 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
Nick Cassaro

Fred Shecter wrote:

[...]

Second hand; this site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smalldoll...ar/hr3916.html

I quickly googled the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004 and that came up.
Good to know the people running our government didn't make that common
mistake.

Thanks Fred
Old September 3rd 04, 09:40 PM
Fred Shecter

AH HA! now it all makes sense. They *DID* make that mistake. The original wording said
that and is still readable on Thomas. It was fixed. Good thing.

-Fred Shecter
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

"Nick Cassaro" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 6th 04, 02:53 AM
Nolanvoid1

`(8) Reversion to preceding design- Upon the completion of the series of
designs required by this subsection, the design of the $1 coin shall revert to
the design in use prior to the issuance of coins in accordance with this
subsection.'.

I also see the above stated in this act. So I guess they are going to go back
to the Sac design when this program ends? Also if I assume that, then I can
take it a step further to assume there will also be a 2005 sac minted because
this would not start until 2006.
Or am I way off base here?

Ron
Old September 7th 04, 02:28 PM
Fred Shecter

Yes, back to Sac after the program.

Yes, 2005 Sacs.

And possibly 2006 Sacs as well as the Presidential GDs.

Old September 7th 04, 04:05 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Fred Shecter
wrote:

Yes, back to Sac after the program.
Yes, 2005 Sacs.
And possibly 2006 Sacs as well as the Presidential GDs.

I see a danger in the Presidential dollar series. Won't the media
present this as "another in the line of dollar coin failures"?

It will be a failure, of course, unless banks and retailers can be
convinced to actually stock and use them this time.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering