ANA Board - Arrogance & Obstinancy

Old November 5th 05, 08:00 PM
oly

Default ANA Board - Arrogance & Obstinancy

Yes, I do realize that practically nobody gives a **** about this
topic. But here goes again...

I just read the ANA Board's response to the earlier Beth Deisher
editorial in Coin World. Mrs. Deisher very nicely gave them lots &
lots of extra space (and I might note, far more than they will ever
give her in "the" NUMISMAMASOCHIST).

They accused her of not knowing what she was talking about, but refused
to disclose ANY information about why Governor Walt was booted from
the Board. This is a very very cute tactic.

They lamely dismissed one of Mrs. Deisher's main points, that it might
be a lot better if the executive director position and the chief legal
counsel posts were seperated, as they always were before C.C. They
lamely dimiss their job to oversee and take ultimate responsibility for
the detailed daily work in the organization.

They expressed confidence in executive director Cipoletti (well
actually, since it was obvious that this response was written by a
single person, it appears that Mr. Cipoletti expressed great confidence
in himself). Their reasoning? They stated that he has expanded
membership by 16% to 32,000 since he was hired.

HELL, with the MInt issusing five to seven circulating commemorative
coins each year, as well as NCLT, membership should be 500,000 or more,
and growing 10%+ every year, with just minimal effort out of Colorado
Springs. There are easily 3,000,000 coin collectors in the U.S.A. and
less than 1% of them belong to the ANA.

The Board disclosed nothing -zero- about the entire situation in this
editorial reply (JUST AS THEY'VE EXPLAINED ZERO TO DATE) and assured us
that there are great new initiatives coming - but AGAIN no details -

THERE IS NO TRANSPARENCY, NO INFORMATION AND NO TRUTH in this BOARD AND
THIS ORGANIZATION.

What a PATHETIC response by A PATHETIC BOARD OF LICKSPITTLES!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Olson
ANA member since 1978, but not gonna renew.

"185,000+ living former American Numismatic Association Members CAN'T
be WRONG!"

Old November 5th 05, 08:20 PM
stonej

Thanks to Numismatic News
we do know some of the
details at least in regards
to the emails that were a
factor in the dismissal.

The ANA is not really
answerable to anyone
(being a member gives you
no right in their view to
know what is going on).

Sure there is an election
but how much positive
change has ever really
come from that process?
People talk about reform
but once they get on the
board the system just
seems to drive out any
independent thinking.

Since the ANA is not subject
to freedom of information
acts basically there is nothing much anyone can do.

They well tell you want they
want you to know and everything else is kept secret.

Old November 5th 05, 08:37 PM
oly

Mr. Stone, I don't disagree with your statements or conclusions; but as
the ANA insiders do not properly serve (or no longer serve) their
Congressionally-mandated mission to educate the Public about
Numismatics, they should be stripped of their Congressional charter.
It would be a great time for an IRS review of their tax-exempt status
too.

I have certain nostalgic feelings about my long-term membership in this
messed-up organization, but I've always thought that stirring the ****
was fun too. I wish I could just walk away. Some people who really
deserve a lot of crap don't get as much as they should get.

We really don't know whether or not the events detailed in Numismatic
News are the whole thing, BUT IF THEY ARE, I AM APPALLED THAT NOBODY AT
THE ANA WOULD GIVE CLIFFORD MISHLER AND CHET KRAUSE THE COURTESY OF A
RESPONSE. IF THEY ARE, GOVERNOR WALT is a GREAT PERSON & HUMAN BEING.
No two living persons have done more for U.S. and World Numismatics
over the last forty years than Krause and Mishler.

oly

Old November 5th 05, 08:50 PM
oly

P.S. David Harper's editorial in the 8 Nov 2005 Numismatic News is
excellent too. It shows how the ANA has become a wholly
dealer-oriented organization.

oly

Old November 5th 05, 09:01 PM
jcsuperstar

We probably don't want to labor an ANA bashing thread again. I am a
life member of several coin organiztions but not the ANA. Don't see
what in the world they do for me and the hobby. They don't reach many
and their Numismatist is not something I look forward to receiving each
month. They are as ineffective and impotent as British royalty IMHO.
I am sure there are some good sorts at the big table with good
intentions nonetheless. Will I do another several year renewal when
mine runs out? Not sure but it hardly will bother me to have it lapse.

Old November 5th 05, 10:24 PM
oly

linxlvr -

Messrs. Krause and Mishler didn't invent coinage (obviously) but their
series of "Standard Catalogs of World Coins", their specialty coin
catalogs, their newspapers, their magazines and their sponsorship (and
even ownership) of certain coin shows have dominated the hobby since
the 1970s. Their WONDERFUL books will likely influence the hobby and
science of Numismatics for centuries to come. They were (note the
probable past tense) significant financial contributors to the ANA.

Both gentlemen have added immeasurably to the store of numismatic
knowledge and fellowship. They had guts, as it was never foreordained
that their company would be successful.

They are both retired (Mr. Krause is in his eighties) and the company
was controlled by an ESOP UNTIL unfortunately their company had its own
Chris Cipoletti - Bill Bright - who sold Krause Publications down the
river. While this enriched many employees, it was entirely contrary to
Mr. Krause's personal expectations, as he wanted his company to provide
local jobs in his hometown of Iola, Wisconsin for a long time to come.
The company has changed hands at least once since then and it now
appears to be in "weak" corporate hands although the numismatic books
and newspapers and magazines are still being churned out at the present
time. The future may be more iffy, as Numismatics provides only a
small portion of the KP revenues. This is another sad development for
the hobby.

Never without an opinion, I remain-

oly

linxlvr wrote:
8--------------------------------------
No two living persons have done more for U.S. and World Numismatics
over the last forty years than Krause and Mishler.

oly

8--------------------------------------

Who are they? That way I know who to thank for this wonderful hobby.
TYIA
--
dw

Old November 6th 05, 12:52 AM
stonej

I just read the editorial at a Barnes & Noble bookstore. They say that
the executive director had no say
in the decision to oust the governor.
I flat out do not believe them.

Old November 6th 05, 12:56 AM
oly

The thing was obviously written by one person. Cipoletti sings his own
praises.

Again, I can't comment highly enough about how much space Beth Deisher
gave the Board of Fools to say absolutely nothing.

oly

Old November 6th 05, 01:51 AM
Bruce Remick

"jcsuperstar" wrote in message
oups.com...
We probably don't want to labor an ANA bashing thread again. I am a
life member of several coin organiztions but not the ANA. Don't see
what in the world they do for me and the hobby. They don't reach many
and their Numismatist is not something I look forward to receiving each
month. They are as ineffective and impotent as British royalty IMHO.
I am sure there are some good sorts at the big table with good
intentions nonetheless. Will I do another several year renewal when
mine runs out? Not sure but it hardly will bother me to have it lapse.

Gee. You echo my sentiments exactly, except that I never was inclined to join
the ANA. When I was a teenage grocery stock boy I felt the same way about
joining the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of America, but the
shop steward took me in the back room and "explained the benefits" more clearly.
The dues took a big chunk of out of my $1/hour part time salary. Maybe the ANA
needs more shop stewards.

Bruce