Ken Pines (Coast to Coast Coins) expelled from the ANA

Old July 25th 05, 06:52 PM
stonej

Default Ken Pines (Coast to Coast Coins) expelled from the ANA

From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

Old July 25th 05, 06:59 PM
LM5403

I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

Old July 25th 05, 07:01 PM
Larry Louks

"stonej" offered the following report:
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

If those charges are all true, then hooray for the ANA's bold actions!

Larry

Old July 25th 05, 07:37 PM
stonej

Didn't this happen about a year ago?

Yes, my mistake, happened a few years ago. Sorry.

Old July 25th 05, 10:17 PM
Johnny Thunder

LM5403 wrote:

I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

It's about time! Coast to Coast ripped me off five years ago and then
blocked me from bidding on their eBay auctions.

JAM
Old July 25th 05, 10:33 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On 25 Jul 2005 10:52:53 -0700, "stonej" is
alleged to have written:
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

Karmic backlash, long time coming. Hopefully, CW and NN will take
notice of this and perhaps do a couple of test buys from his ads.

Bruce

ANA 162074

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old July 26th 05, 01:10 AM
Ira Stein

LM5403 wrote:
I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

Very old news, and I doubt it makes any difference to the bargain
seekers who not care a whit if the ANA logo is in the ad or not. It may
interest you'll to learn that the company gets very few returns.
Doesn't speak too well to the acumen of the coin collectors out there
that buy multiple times from such vendors. They're just happy in their
ignorance.

You know what? Material sold by such comaponies is not much different
from what you see at many small regional coins shows in dealers' cases.
You won't see much of that material at the large shows catering to
hundreds of dealers. I've given upo tring to find diamonds in a pile of
coal. I ONLY go to the very large shows now.

As I've written many times, "There ain't no Santa Claus in
numismatics."

Ira

Old July 26th 05, 01:12 AM
LM5403

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
ups.com...

LM5403 wrote:
I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could
have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

Very old news, and I doubt it makes any difference to the bargain
seekers who not care a whit if the ANA logo is in the ad or not. It may
interest you'll to learn that the company gets very few returns.
Doesn't speak too well to the acumen of the coin collectors out there
that buy multiple times from such vendors. They're just happy in their
ignorance.

You know what? Material sold by such comaponies is not much different
from what you see at many small regional coins shows in dealers' cases.

But at the shows you can see what you're buying BEFORE you buy.

Old July 26th 05, 01:29 AM
Bruce Remick

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
ups.com...

LM5403 wrote:
I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

Kenneth Pines, Columbia MD expelled at the direction of the ANA Board
of Governors for his failure to respond to multiple complaints: sale of
cleaned, whizzed, tooled and other altered coins, questionable grading
practices and excessive fees."

As I've written many times, "There ain't no Santa Claus in
numismatics."

Ira

I'd have to disagree with you, Ira, considering the calulated price for a set of
Wisconsin extra leaf quarters. The numismatic Santa indeed visited me early
this year.

Bruce
'and imagine -- my birthday is this year, too'

Old July 26th 05, 05:24 AM
TerryS

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
ups.com...

LM5403 wrote:
I always wondered about his multi-page ads in CW and NN. Nobody could
have
that much good stuff at the prices he was asking. It always seemed just a
bit too good to be true.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
From the Numismatist:

[...]

At the risk of being denigrated, flamed and possibly ostracized from RCC,
may I put in an almost good word for CtoC ? Their claims for coins,"gem BU",
"choice" etc. are just like anybody else's advertising. Way overblown, but
these kinds of ads are all over and for every product. By now adults have
learned to discount these. Have you ever seen a PCGS slabbed coin, so black
that you cannot tell what it is, labeled MS63 ? I have. When you buy from a
dealer you have to remember that the coin they sell as MS60 is all of a
sudden an AU58 when they buy it back. Not necessarily fraud, but different
standards when buying or selling. I bought a hundred or so gold coins from
them. Once I received a couple I could see what his gem, choice etc really
was and could make a decision on whether a price he wanted was what I wanted
to pay for the condition I expected. Rejects were cheerfully refunded or
exchanged. These were not available at the local coin shows in any sort of
good condition. But the coin and not the ad.

TerryS