Help! Need guidance on how to demagnetize quad players.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:55 AM
Danspeakin

Default Help! Need guidance on how to demagnetize quad players.

Date: 7/22/2003 7:31 PM Central Daylight Time
Recently I purchased an 8 track cleaner\demagnetizer on Ebay. It is
made by LEBO and has a 12v supply. The instructions on the front label
states to insert the cart (for only 10 seconds) just as you would any
ordinary 8 track tape. My question is: should the power to the tape
player be turned off?
I've been informed once upon a time it should be turned off and I sure
don't want a $4.00 cleaner to mess up my Technics quad player.

Thanks, T.W. Wyatt

It is a good idea to either turn the volume all the way down or turn the unit
off when demagnetizing. The reason for this is that the demagnetizing equipment
will make your speakers go BRRRRRRRRRR really loud if they are turned up much
at all. Otherwise the tape mechanism doesn't care if it is on or not.
Dan 2
Old July 24th 03, 03:34 AM
Danspeakin

Date: 7/22/2003 7:31 PM Central Daylight Time
[...]

Thanks for the tip! I opened up the cart to have a look inside and
found that the cleaning loop just circles around the inside plastic
supports.? I suppose this could still serve as an endless loop, but
without having a center hub?
I plan on discarding the cleaning loop as it resembles 1200 grit
sandpaper. Thanks again, T.W.

I never did trust the cleaning loops and didn't have much luck getting them to
do any good. A good Q Tip and alcohol still rule in the land of 8 tracks. And,
if you can actuate the power switch through the tape door the Q Tip is good for
cleaning the crud off of the rotating capstan.
Dan 2
Old July 25th 03, 01:22 AM
T.W. Wyatt

Date: 7/22/2003 7:31 PM Central Daylight Time
[...]

Dan 2, I have an old RCA tape deck that the motor went belly up. Could
you help me out, given the numbers, etc. on the motor? T.W.