Determining authentic 1909-S VDB Lincol cents

Old October 9th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_3_]

Default Determining authentic 1909-S VDB Lincol cents

Four obverse dies were used to produce genuine 1909-S VDB cents. This has
been mentioned here before (I think it was Ira). I have always wondered
precisely what the die markers were.

The ANA, www.money.org, produces a 106pp, SC, Numismatist reprint
"Counterfeit Detection, Vol. 2" ($9.95) that illustrates them *exactly*.
The book also includes a collection of other authenticity markers (as well
as counterfeit examples) of popularly counterfeited US coins across selected
copper, silver and gold issues.

It is neither exhaustive nor complete across US coins, but it packed with
useful information. So, if you've always wanted to know for sure about that
1909-S VDB or a 1914-D...

W.

Old October 12th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:49:39 -0700, "1787" wrote:

Four obverse dies were used to produce genuine 1909-S VDB cents. This has
been mentioned here before (I think it was Ira). I have always wondered
precisely what the die markers were.

The ANA, www.money.org, produces a 106pp, SC, Numismatist reprint
"Counterfeit Detection, Vol. 2" ($9.95) that illustrates them *exactly*.
The book also includes a collection of other authenticity markers (as well
as counterfeit examples) of popularly counterfeited US coins across selected
copper, silver and gold issues.

It is neither exhaustive nor complete across US coins, but it packed with
useful information. So, if you've always wanted to know for sure about that
1909-S VDB or a 1914-D...

Couldn't such publications actually help counterfeiters? If they can
add a mint mark to a coin, then it would probably not be that much
more difficult to add a die mark. Or would it?

Old October 12th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 12, 1:38*pm, Jon Purkey wrote:

Couldn't such publications actually help counterfeiters? If they can
add a mint mark to a coin, then it would probably not be that much
more difficult to add a die mark. Or would it?

Yeah, I guess we ought to ban all books, movies, TV shows, radio
broadcasts and everything else lest some bad guy get an evil idea.
Sheesssshhhhhhh!
Old October 12th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_3_]

Jon Purkey wrote:
[...]

Possibly. However if one is skilled enough to make a passable fake, one is
clever enough to get a real coin to copy. This would be the ultimate
blueprint.

W.

Old October 14th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Oct 12, 3:58*pm, Voltronicus wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:38*pm, Jon Purkey wrote:

Couldn't such publications actually help counterfeiters? If they can
add a mint mark to a coin, then it would probably not be that much
more difficult to add a die mark. Or would it?

Yeah, I guess we ought to ban all books, movies, TV shows, radio
broadcasts and everything else lest some bad guy get an evil idea.
Sheesssshhhhhhh!

Actually they DON'T release all the diagnostics, because
counterfeiters have been observed correcting their product based on
published articles about counterfeits.

-------------------------
Frank Provasek Rare Coins
http://www.frankcoins.com Ebay FRANKCOINS
Member ANA, Texas Numismatic Assoc, Texas Coin Dealers Assoc,
PCGS dealer, Full Time Dealer since 1991, Texas Auctioneer Lic 11259
Old October 15th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 14, 4:49*pm, Frank Provasek wrote:
On Oct 12, 3:58*pm, Voltronicus wrote:

On Oct 12, 1:38*pm, Jon Purkey wrote:

Couldn't such publications actually help counterfeiters? If they can
add a mint mark to a coin, then it would probably not be that much
more difficult to add a die mark. Or would it?

Yeah, I guess we ought to ban all books, movies, TV shows, radio
broadcasts and everything else lest some bad guy get an evil idea.
Sheesssshhhhhhh!

Actually they DON'T release all the diagnostics, because
counterfeiters have been observed correcting their product based on
published articles about counterfeits.

Who are these mysterious "they", Fwankie?
eBay? The voices in your head?