Modern flex: Delta Fluida and Levenger Samba

Old September 19th 05, 08:36 PM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Default Modern flex: Delta Fluida and Levenger Samba

Do you have any experiences and opinions about those fountain pens
mentioned in subject? Please, tell us.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Pahat enteet hiljaisuuden kaiken täyttää. Niin tuskaisen läsnä joka hetki,
Old September 20th 05, 10:34 AM
online drifter

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:36:07 +0300, Juhapekka Tolvanen
wrote:

Do you have any experiences and opinions about those fountain pens
mentioned in subject? Please, tell us.

The Delta Fluida is not flexible at all. Hard as a nail steel nib,
nice fit into my hand (shape is something of interest). I have one and
will not part with it, in rotation with Herbin Black ink.
Old September 20th 05, 09:10 PM
*david*

Levenger always says the nib is flexible, because that's what people
want to hear. It isn't usually true.

Old September 21st 05, 02:59 AM
Nellie Paris

On 20 Sep 2005 13:10:48 -0700, "*david*" wrote:

Levenger always says the nib is flexible, because that's what people
want to hear. It isn't usually true.

Funny, if that is what people want, why doesn't someone make a real
flex nib???

I still say the closest is the Namiki Falcon, but I just stick with
cheap, old Watermans for the best quality.

Nellie
Old September 21st 05, 06:46 AM
Jon Rutherford

I suspect people may THINK they want a flexible nib, but if they got one
they wouldn't know what to do with it. Not that a light touch can't be
learned in an afternoon... But people are so used to ballpoints and
rolling writers (or rolling non-writers, as I think of them), that even a
non-flex fountain pen nib is a challenge. I wonder, too, if most people
would really like the variable width and density of line that a flex nib
provides. It might look too "old-timey."

Just some musing.

Old September 21st 05, 10:32 AM
online drifter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:59:45 GMT, Nellie Paris
wrote:

On 20 Sep 2005 13:10:48 -0700, "*david*" wrote:

Levenger always says the nib is flexible, because that's what people
want to hear. It isn't usually true.

Funny, if that is what people want, why doesn't someone make a real
flex nib???

Or could it be along the simple line - any fountain pen nib will be
ever so slightly flexible when compared to a ballpoint? The nib does
'give' more so than the end of a ballpoint...
Old September 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
*david*

Nellie Paris wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 13:10:48 -0700, "*david*" wrote:

Levenger always says the nib is flexible, because that's what people
want to hear. It isn't usually true.

Funny, if that is what people want, why doesn't someone make a real
flex nib???

I didn't say it's what people want, but what they want to *hear*.

The majority of people who think they want a flexible nib want to
believe that their pen is "responsive" and "expressive". But if they
actually had a flex nib, they wouldn't be able to write very well with
it.

Now, if the average person were able to make their *writing* more
flexible and expressive, that would be very nice. But in reality, 99
per cent of them would best be able to do that with a stiff-nibbed pen.

Thus leaving the nice old Watermans for you. :-)

Old September 23rd 05, 11:12 PM
Bluesea

wrote:

On 20 Sep 2005 13:10:48 -0700, "*david*" wrote:

Levenger always says the nib is flexible, because that's what people
want to hear. It isn't usually true.

Funny, if that is what people want, why doesn't someone make a real
flex nib???

Or could it be along the simple line - any fountain pen nib will be
ever so slightly flexible when compared to a ballpoint? The nib does
'give' more so than the end of a ballpoint...

What you're describing is a springy nib. A flex nib provides variable line
width, not just "give" which is what a springy nib does. But, not all ad
copywriters know the difference and often use "flexible" when the nib is
merely "springy."

"Let the buyer beware."

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 24th 05, 08:40 AM
Dov

Juhapekka in answer to yours and to reiterate what the group has told you. Levenger's copywriters claim ALL their nibs are flex. This is generally 90% false but Samba is fairly flexible, nice looking, badly made. I have one bought on a whim and impulse. Stipula 22 (ventitude) is supposed to be flexible. I've heard that there are QC and ink feeder problems though on closeout right now for 50-60% off. I always thought titanium was one of the toughest hardest metals so cannot fathom how it can be flexible as well. But that's for the metallurgists amongst us. It's a nice looker.

Best modern flex (and semi at that) is the rather nice Namiki Falcon which can be found from 80-120. It is a nice writer.

If you, or anyone wants Platinum's 22k soft and flexible gold nib in a great burgundy pen which goes for 175 I have for sale at 145. Details b/c

Best and have fine time

Dov

to reply remove nospam from adress