It makes Cents to me

Old December 6th 05, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default It makes Cents to me

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with craigslist.org...well
worth checking out in my opinion. Anyway, they have a section called
Rant and Rave...a place to post anything that you would like on any
subject. Occasionally they gather the best of the best and put them in
one place...this came from that list...Hope you enjoy this commentary
on the cent. I found it extremely humorous.

Roger

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/a...110504612.html

Old December 7th 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Sully, the guy that posted his diatribe on the penny and sent it to Craig's
list is a nut. Pennies are money, and to some poor people, a few of those
can make a difference. By some simple planning, one can never have more
than four pennies at any time. If anyone cannot figure that out and wants
to know how, I will be glad to oblige.

The penny will not be eliminated unless Congress enacts a law that all sales
should be rounded such that the total ends in a zero or five. Throwing them
away, besides being stupid, will decrease the amount in circulation, forcing
the mint to coin a few hundred million each year to replace those that are
kept in jars or thrown away.

Tony

oups.com...

Old December 9th 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

One Cent Coins cause poverty. They harm poor people.

The cost to businesses of ordering and handling one cent coins has been
posted here MANY times. This results in increased prices *and* those
increases are most harmful to poor people who buy lower priced items.

I am personally opposed to intentionally harming poor people for the
selfish reason of keeping a near worthless coin in forced circulation.

-Fred Shecter

Old December 9th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In article .com,
trojan66 wrote:

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with craigslist.org...well
worth checking out in my opinion.

The comments about the penny are spot on. And as far as "poor people"
needing pennies, I say give them nickels instead.

There is no need for the penny and it is a waste of money and time to
continue to force them on people. Talk to a store clerk sometime and
ask if they enjoy dealing with pennies.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old December 9th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"shreadvector" wrote in message
oups.com...
One Cent Coins cause poverty. They harm poor people.

The cost to businesses of ordering and handling one cent coins has been
posted here MANY times. This results in increased prices *and* those
increases are most harmful to poor people who buy lower priced items.

I'll consider believing this if you can document how much the price of a grocery
purchase is increased due to the continued minting of cents, or how much that
purchase price would decrease if the cent were eliminated, thus making life
easier for poor people.

I am personally opposed to intentionally harming poor people for the
selfish reason of keeping a near worthless coin in forced circulation.

I certainly share your concerns, but suspect your cause-effect logic is a mite
exaggerated.

Bruce

Old December 9th 05, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"shreadvector" wrote in message
oups.com...
One Cent Coins cause poverty. They harm poor people.

The cost to businesses of ordering and handling one cent coins has been
posted here MANY times. This results in increased prices *and* those
increases are most harmful to poor people who buy lower priced items.

I am personally opposed to intentionally harming poor people for the
selfish reason of keeping a near worthless coin in forced circulation.

-Fred Shecter

I own a bar and I'm "cent" free. Everything is rounded up or down
accordingly. If someone complains, I explain the concept of rounding. If
they continue to complain, I tell them to shut up. I do not like pennies!

That said, I'm not sure how you conclude the lowly penny causes poverty. I
know some banks try to charge for rolled coin, but if a merchant routinely
deposits a million bucks or more a week, ( most supermarkets deposit at
least that much) do you really think the bank is gonna charge them for their
coin? No extra charge, no price increace due to rolled coin fees.

A lot of things cause poverty, but pennies are not one of them.

Don

Old December 9th 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Cost to the poor:

http://www.retirethepenny.org/

Old December 10th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"shreadvector" wrote in message
ups.com...
Cost to the poor:

http://www.retirethepenny.org/

er....... nothing like an unbiased or agenda-free view. That's some of the
most convoluted and hilarious "logic" I've ever read. Implying that the
existance of the penny costs the poor $60 a year. Sounds like a bunch of
political aides came up with that one.

Bruce

Old December 10th 05, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"shreadvector" wrote in message
ups.com...
Cost to the poor:

http://www.retirethepenny.org/

This site holds no water at all Fred.

They are quick to point out pennies are a waste of money, but the figures
they show must have come from someone's imagination.

They say 12 billion pennies are made each year at a cost of 100 million
dollars. They give the illusion of a burden on the taxpayer..........just
short of an out and out lie!

I refer you to page 17 of the 2004 annual report from the US Mint:
6.8 billion minted
Cost to produce and ship to the Federal Reserve Banks. 66.7 million
dollars.
Profit realized, 4.6 million dollars.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...=annual_report

No burden whatsoever on the US taxpayer.

As for their waste of time example, well, that is just silly!

Don