Toshiba sa-500 receiver

Old July 11th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western[_2_]

Default Toshiba sa-500 receiver

You'd be far better off taking it to someone local to you...assuming
you can find one. Even if you go for online repair, better to send
the unit directly to this guy's shop rather than go through our
resident scumbag.

What is the current state of other cities and good local old
school repair shops? We are fortunate in Winnipeg to have a shop with three
older guys (one being the owner) past retirement age that continue on
keeping shop. They are always busy and have done some good work for me on
several turntables and an 8 track deck or two over the years. A pretty great
resource to have around and they are highly prized by our local population.

Old July 11th 08, 05:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
carfreak

On Jul 10, 7:35*pm, DeserTBoB wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:44:55 -0700 (PDT), carfreak

wrote:
sorry to ruin your fun, desertbob, but it wasnt what you think. *it
was advice along with an offer to repair my receiver for a cost. snip

Usually, he sends diatribes to others about his "enemies," as people
send me the mail they get from him. *Consider yourself lucky in that
regard, but this guy Charlie Nudo is NO electronics technician. *What
the game is with Noodles is that he's hooked in with the owner of a
dying electronics shop in Hazelton, PA. *Noodles takes your unit to
him, has the dude repair it, and then tacks on his take on top of it.
You'd be far better off taking it to someone local to you...assuming
you can find one. *Even if you go for online repair, better to send
the unit directly to this guy's shop rather than go through our
resident scumbag.

yeah, he said it was minimum 100 buck charge plus shipping. I told
him it would cost that much to send it there from ca. and theres no
way im paying 200 bucks, on something Rusty and I can do by ourselves.
Old July 11th 08, 02:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

wrote:
[...]

way im paying 200 bucks, on something Rusty and I can do by ourselves.- Hide quoted text -

carfreak- thanks for email reply, I just sent you another one
Old July 11th 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
carfreak

wrote:
[...]

what the hell is going on? everyone's telling me something else is
wrong, who to believe and not to believe.
direct quote from trippin-2-8...
"don't listen to that DeserTBob guy- he gives repair advice, and when
a person does it, it ends up ruining their receiver and tape deck- the
guy is a poser"
"I have a cert in basic electronics, and have been repairing/buying/
selling stereos on the net and ebay now, for 7 years- my partner has
been in business for 30 years- what I can't fix, I take over there,
and we always end up fixing it- most times it is only 1 or 2 small
components to solder in- but it has to be isolated and troubleshooted
first, to find what's wrong- that's the hard part"

Old July 12th 08, 12:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

"I have a cert in basic electronics, and have been repairing/buying/
selling stereos on the net and ebay now, for 7 years- my partner has
been in business for 30 years- what I can't fix, I take over there,
and we always end up fixing it- most times it is only 1 or 2 small
components to solder in- but it has to be isolated and troubleshooted
first, to find what's wrong- that's the hard part"

Bob,

If the e-mail is true, I bet the IRS and Mr. Stola would like to know
about Zito being a "partner".

PIERCE ELECTRONICS
35 EAST OAK STREET
TRESKOW, PA. 18254
USA
SHOP PHONE: 570-459-4639
EMIL STOLA- PROPRIETOR

Old July 12th 08, 08:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
carfreak

wrote:
[...]

first, to find what's wrong- that's the hard part"- Hide quoted text -

yeh, what IS going on ? *direct quote from carfreak:

Thanks for the advice. *I'll try that out. *Regarding your offer, I
live in CA, and shipping alone would cost that much. *If I screw it up
beyond working condition, I'll be sure to contact you first.

carfreak

this "you're wrong, no you're wrong" is bullsh-t *im just going
someplace else for advice- Hide quoted text -

carfreak check your email, I sent you one
Old July 12th 08, 09:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
AntiNudo

carfreak wrote:

this "you're wrong, no you're wrong" is bullsh-t *im just going
someplace else for advice

i don't blame you for this, there is just too many trolls & people who think
they "know-it-all" in the newsgroups.

i am sorry for being late to this post, but maybe, i can give you some
troubleshooting help with this. i made my living doing this for a long
time.

your trouble may not be from the output transistors, but could be caused by
ether a dried up electrolytic capacitor in the signal path, or a resistor
that has gone out of spec. before messing around with the output
transistors, i strongly suggest that you get a schematic diagram for that
specific receiver, a signal tracer (a audio amplifier will work), & trace
through the signal path starting from the preamp / tone control stage &
work your way up to the driver stage. this will at least tell you if &
where you are losing your audio signal.
as i said earlier, it would be in your best interest to try troubleshooting
the signal path first before doing anything at all with the output stage,
that would be the last resort.

Old July 12th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
AntiNudo

carfreak wrote:

I was recommended to go here by rusty . I am new to vintage audio,
and recently got a toshiba sa-500. It has a pretty bad balance
issue. I have to turn the knob to 3 on the right for it to be
balanced. Any solutions?

it sounds like that there is a problem in the signal path like a resistor
that has opened up or a dried out electrolytic capacitor. i don't think it
is a output stage problem.

here is the best place to go to get help with your vintage Toshiba.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13