light fast but washable ink ?

Old September 29th 04, 04:51 AM
no spam

Default light fast but washable ink ?

Hi,

I am looking for a fountain pen ink that would be "light fast", I mean
that wouldn't fade, even exposed to bright sun for a prolonged amount of
time.

I don't want a waterproof ink, on the contrary, I'd like it to be somewhat
washable so that the paper can be recycled with less effort.

In other words, I would like an ink that is not frogery-proof, but that
will last years if not tampered with. I think a neutral ph would be a +,
in order to not damage the media (paper, canvas etc...) over the years.

With those criteria in mind, and hopefully some choice of colours (in red
and blue !), what's out there ?

Thanks,

Yves.
----
http://www.cuug.ab.ca/dorfsmay
http://www.SollerS.ca

Old September 29th 04, 07:41 AM
David

On 2004-09-28 20:51:10 -0700, no spam said:

I am looking for a fountain pen ink that would be "light fast", I mean
that wouldn't fade, even exposed to bright sun for a prolonged amount
of time.

I don't want a waterproof ink, on the contrary, I'd like it to be
somewhat washable so that the paper can be recycled with less effort.

In other words, I would like an ink that is not frogery-proof, but that
will last years if not tampered with. I think a neutral ph would be a
+, in order to not damage the media (paper, canvas etc...) over the
years.

Non-fade but washable may not be easy - I'm not sure.
Anyway, you need to visit
http://www.inksampler.com

Loads of information there on this kind of topic.

David

Old September 30th 04, 05:03 AM
no spam

David wrote:

Non-fade but washable may not be easy - I'm not sure.

Ok, I don't care that much about being washable, but I want an ink that
can be removed somehow. This is for my every day writting, and I am
worried that something like noodler's permanent would prevent proper
recycling of the paper.

Don't get me wrong, I thing that noodler's permanent has its place, for
art, and for official document that must be forge-proof, etc...

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman
http://www.cuug.ab.ca/dorfsmay
http://www.SollerS.ca

Old September 30th 04, 06:08 AM
Bluesea

"no spam" wrote in message
David wrote:

Non-fade but washable may not be easy - I'm not sure.

Ok, I don't care that much about being washable, but I want an ink that
can be removed somehow. This is for my every day writting, and I am
worried that something like noodler's permanent would prevent proper
recycling of the paper.

Why? Am I missing something? The only recycling problems that I'm aware of
involve glossy paper, like what is used for magazines, and the recycler
doesn't pick those up anymore.

You should use a cross-cut shredder, anyway, for your personal stuff.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 30th 04, 09:46 AM
David

On 2004-09-29 21:03:22 -0700, no spam said:

, I don't care that much about being washable, but I want an ink that
can be removed somehow. This is for my every day writting, and I am
worried that something like noodler's permanent would prevent proper
recycling of the paper.

Don't get me wrong, I thing that noodler's permanent has its place, for
art, and for official document that must be forge-proof, etc...

I wouldn't worry too much then - any brand of ink that doesn't
advertise itself as permanent, will probably fit your recycling
concerns. Just pick one that has good light-fastness, and you'll be set.

David

Old September 30th 04, 04:19 PM
Pat Lamb

no spam wrote:
David wrote:

Non-fade but washable may not be easy - I'm not sure.

Ok, I don't care that much about being washable, but I want an ink that
can be removed somehow. This is for my every day writting, and I am
worried that something like noodler's permanent would prevent proper
recycling of the paper.

You're worrying too much. First, the bleach the paper makers use (if
they're trying to make white) will take out almost anything. Second,
even if you use Noodler's black, which may not bleach, unless you're
filling an entire vat with a couple thousand pounds of paper pulp, what
you use will be diluted so much that it won't make a difference.

Use whatever ink you want to use. Is that hard?

Pat
Old October 1st 04, 05:07 AM
no spam

Bluesea wrote:

Why? Am I missing something? The only recycling problems that I'm aware of
involve glossy paper, like what is used for magazines, and the recycler
doesn't pick those up anymore.

Recycled paper comes in white, or light brown for the non-bleached one. I
am assuming that they "wash" the paper they use before being able to get
to that light colored paper (or white). If everybody starts using an ink
that can never be washed out regardless of the chimical used, then my
guess is that it will be difficult to re-use that paper for recyling.

I might be completely wrong, but that seems logical to me.

Yves.
----
http://www.cuug.ab.ca/dorfsmay
http://www.SollerS.ca

Old October 1st 04, 05:31 AM
no spam

On 2004-09-29 21:03:22 -0700, no spam said:

I wouldn't worry too much then - any brand of ink that doesn't
advertise itself as permanent, will probably fit your recycling
concerns. Just pick one that has good light-fastness, and you'll be set.

Exactly my point !

What are the inks out there in blue and red that are considered
lightfast (and possibly bright) ?

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman
http://www.cuug.ab.ca/dorfsmay
http://www.SollerS.ca

Old October 1st 04, 01:07 PM
john cline ii

"no spam" wrote:

| Bluesea wrote:
|
| Why? Am I missing something? The only recycling problems that I'm
aware of
| involve glossy paper, like what is used for magazines, and the
recycler
| doesn't pick those up anymore.
|
| Recycled paper comes in white, or light brown for the non-bleached
one. I
| am assuming that they "wash" the paper they use before being able to
get
| to that light colored paper (or white). If everybody starts using an
ink
| that can never be washed out regardless of the chimical used, then my
| guess is that it will be difficult to re-use that paper for recyling.
|
| I might be completely wrong, but that seems logical to me.

But, but, but....

MOST paper destined for recycling has laser print on it. Relatively
permanent, fused ink.

Much of the rest has relatively nonpermanent, runny inkjet ink. That
could color batches and batches of paper. The recyclers seem
untroubled by it all.

Methinks you worry too much.

john cline ii, just being honest

Old October 1st 04, 05:53 PM
Bluesea

"no spam" wrote in message
Bluesea wrote:

Why? Am I missing something? The only recycling problems that I'm aware

of
involve glossy paper, like what is used for magazines, and the recycler
doesn't pick those up anymore.

Recycled paper comes in white, or light brown for the non-bleached one. I
am assuming that they "wash" the paper they use before being able to get
to that light colored paper (or white). If everybody starts using an ink
that can never be washed out regardless of the chimical used, then my
guess is that it will be difficult to re-use that paper for recyling.

I might be completely wrong, but that seems logical to me.

Yes, it's logical except for the fact that the number of people who write
with fountain pens, much less those who write with Noodler's waterproof
inks, is hugely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

If you're still set on not using Noodler's, I think your best bet is to
follow David's link to inksampler.com.

Good luck!

--
~~Bluesea~~