Next Mont Blanc?

Old March 15th 09, 09:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Ed[_6_]

Default Next Mont Blanc?

I finally purchased a Mont Blanc after all these years of trying other
pens. In my opinion, it really is something special. I got the
Chopin model. Now I am thinking of getting another one later this
year. Any suggestions? I want to keep the price out of the
stratosphere, but would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and
maybe up to 5 or 6 hundred.

Thanks-
Ed
Old March 16th 09, 04:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 1:56*pm, Ed wrote:
I finally purchased a Mont Blanc after all these years of trying other
pens. *In my opinion, it really is something special. *I got the
Chopin model. *Now I am thinking of getting another one later this
year. *Any suggestions? *I want to keep the price out of the
stratosphere, but would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and
maybe up to 5 or 6 hundred.

Thanks-
Ed

Hi Ed,

Personally, I like the E.A. Poe for it's classic styling and
convenient size (~that of a MB146). If you head over to www.fountainpennetwork.com
you'll find user reviews of pretty much every MB fountain pen ever
made, most complete with copious pictures.

Hope to see you over there!
Old March 17th 09, 10:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Ed writes:

I finally purchased a Mont Blanc after all these years of trying other
pens. In my opinion, it really is something special.

Welcome to the club. I really enjoy my Mont Blanc. It's a Meisterstuck
Le Grande, if I recall, with an Extra Fine nib.

I got the Chopin model. Now I am thinking of getting another one later
this year. Any suggestions? I want to keep the price out of the
stratosphere, but would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and
maybe up to 5 or 6 hundred.

Well, what do you like in a pen? There are a lot of options out there.
If you like hard, crisp writers that don't have much flex, you may like
the Starwalker Series. I know a friend of mine really likes the fine
felt nib pens they have.

I chose the Le Grande for the size, weight, and feel, but there are
lot's of differences in taste there.
--
Aaron W. Hsu | http://www.sacrideo.us
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
Old March 18th 09, 02:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

"Ed" wrote in message
I finally purchased a Mont Blanc after all these years of trying other
pens. In my opinion, it really is something special. I got the
Chopin model. Now I am thinking of getting another one later this
year. Any suggestions? I want to keep the price out of the
stratosphere, but would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and
maybe up to 5 or 6 hundred.

Thanks-
Ed

Apologies if I tag along, but I too am considering a MB-- albeit a
'vintage' one.

Anyone know much about the 264? I like the looks of it because of nib &
screw on cap.

What I *don't* know is if these were made of celluloid or the dreaded
'precious resin' : 0 !

Also, I see quite a few 042G "Monte Rosa's" out there-- maybe too many.

Something about this model that would make collectors shy away from them?

thx

--Bruce

Old March 18th 09, 11:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

"krishnananda" wrote in message
In article ,
"bowcan" wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

264: black resin with blue ink window, manufactured 1954 - 1959

"The Monte Rosa line appeared on the market in 1952 and was aimed at the
students. It was the company's intention to offer the younger customers
a low budget model as a started without weakening the main line"
from "Collectible Stars", p. 16

"Precious resin" is the subject of holy wars, so I won't comment on it.

--
om

Thanks for reply,

Got a phone call from a recognized vendor, but he'd sold the 264 I was
looking at on-line. Said he would be at a pen show this weekend so keeping
my fingers crossed that he finds another now that he knows I'm in the market
for one.

Do you (or anyone else) know how 'vintage' MB's write in fine point? Asked
dealer, how it would write compared to say a Parker-51 or Sheaffer of
similar time period. His reply was that Parkers had more of a 'ball' &
iridium & so might be smoother. He could 'tip' or 'smoothen' nib if I
wanted. Told him that wouldn't be necessary-- would want vintage nib 'as
is'.

He offered to sell a 344. (Paraphrasing) "Same looking pen, with screw on
cap-- only a little shorter - plastic body, but before the 'pr'
controversy."
The 344 was $100 less than the 264-- and dated from the late 1950's. I
declined not knowing enough about the model numbers.

Which leads to following question:

Anyone know of a reference site for MB model numbers & dates?

thx
--Bruce

PS: 'pr & holy wars'! Heh... Yes, I too am steering well clear of that
one... ; )

Old March 19th 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
salesguy

How's your German.....

http://www.fountainpen.de/index.html

SalesGuy

Old March 21st 09, 02:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

"salesguy" wrote in message
How's your German.....

http://www.fountainpen.de/index.html

SalesGuy

Nicht so gut, aber war ich imstande, den Füllhalter zu finden, den ich
gehofft hatte, an der "PenBoard.de" zu finden.

Ja, ich weiß, dass meine Grammatik ist schrecklich!

Tschüß!

---
Not so good, but I was able to find the f-pen, I'd hoped for at
"Penboard.de-- Yes I know my grammar stinks!

Catch ya later!

--Bruce

Mont Blanc #139 [email protected] Pens & Pencils 3 August 16th 06 08:49 AM
Mont Blanc Ink and Pen Jim Hayes Pens & Pencils 6 April 15th 05 01:18 AM
Mont Blanc Jeffrey Pens & Pencils 3 September 29th 04 11:27 AM
WTB: Mont Blanc Nib Only Michael Pens & Pencils 3 May 24th 04 06:39 AM
Want Nib Only -- Mont Blanc Michael Pens & Pencils 13 January 30th 04 12:44 AM