Opinions Wanted 1992 Silver Eagle with Toning

Old May 30th 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Opinions Wanted 1992 Silver Eagle with Toning

I'm by no means an expert in coins so the groups opinions are wanted, I
purchased 2-1992 American eagle one ounce silver dollar, the ones in the
plastic hard cases back in 1992, back then the coins were fresh looking so
now after all these years of it sitting in my drawer the natural toning has
started around the rim on the front and back of the coin, does this make it
more desirable to collectors or what??? I know the older 1800's toned ones
go for big $$...just courious ...I'll give a link of some pics I
took.....thanks in advance for the opinions!

http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992a.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992b.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992c.jpg

Tina

Old May 30th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Tina" tossed out the question:
...after all these years of it sitting in my drawer the natural toning has
started around the rim on the front and back of the coin, does this make
it
more desirable to collectors or what??? ...

While there are indeed many coins with dramatic toning that command a
premium (sometimes a BIG premium) from those enthusiasts who like toned
coins, I don't see such toning on your coin.

Amistad
'but then, others may see it differently'

Old May 30th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

It's nice as it is, but give it more time and see what other colors develop.
So far so good, I would say.

--Keith

Old May 30th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Tina wrote:
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992a.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992b.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992c.jpg

Has the coins been wiped, Tina? I see many marks that lead me to
believe that it has been. If it has, it is worth one ounce silver.

The snap-close silver eagle cases don't seal well. Often moisture acts
on the surface of the coin, causing cloudy milk spots. Cloudiness is
not desirable in the current market. I don't know about toning, because
I don't see many toned silver eagles. In the future it may increase the
value.

Anita

Old May 30th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 30 May 2006 14:57:56 -0700, wrote:

Tina wrote:
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992a.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992b.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992c.jpg

Has the coins been wiped, Tina? I see many marks that lead me to
believe that it has been. If it has, it is worth one ounce silver.

Looks like yes, it has been wiped. Thumb smudges look a lot like that,
based on my own tests.

The snap-close silver eagle cases don't seal well. Often moisture acts
on the surface of the coin, causing cloudy milk spots. Cloudiness is
not desirable in the current market. I don't know about toning, because
I don't see many toned silver eagles. In the future it may increase the
value.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine anything other than high mint
states ever being worth more than bullion value on these?

Old May 31st 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I assumed it was just a thumb print but there could be wiping too esp. on
the reverse.

--Keith

Old May 31st 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Tina wrote:
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992a.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992b.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chouse1/1992c.jpg

Has the coins been wiped, Tina? I see many marks that lead me to
believe that it has been. If it has, it is worth one ounce silver.

Looks like yes, it has been wiped. Thumb smudges look a lot like that,
based on my own tests.

The snap-close silver eagle cases don't seal well. Often moisture acts
on the surface of the coin, causing cloudy milk spots. Cloudiness is
not desirable in the current market. I don't know about toning, because
I don't see many toned silver eagles. In the future it may increase the
value.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine anything other than high mint
states ever being worth more than bullion value on these?

No I never wiped the coins...the holder has scratches on the case...I don't
handle them with kid gloves so to speak...so finger prints could be on
them....back to the drawer they will go ..thanks gang!

Tina