Edinburgh Auction.

Old August 16th 05, 05:38 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in
Provenances are given for some lots, "ex Pringle" etc. so that is useful
for
checking the cost then and the grade then also. Billy

PLMK if you notice any "upgrades".

I am going to follow these auctions, I have examples of several of these
notes, and would like to see how they fare sale wise.

Old August 17th 05, 01:21 PM
note.boy

Scottishmoney wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in
Provenances are given for some lots, "ex Pringle" etc. so that is useful
for
checking the cost then and the grade then also. Billy

PLMK if you notice any "upgrades".

I am going to follow these auctions, I have examples of several of these
notes, and would like to see how they fare sale wise.

A quick look has revealed one already, lot 634 Tweed Bank £20 1 January 1829,
very fine.

It was lot 672 in the Pringle auction, good fine.

The Pringle estimate was £120 to £150 and it sold for £220 + 15%.

The new estimate is £350 to £400, a bit of a jump in 2 1/2 years.

My pension fund may take a leap in value if the estimates for the auction
prove to be accurate. :-)

There's a very nice photograph of Mr Macmillan in the catalogue and I will
continue my habit of getting the seller to sign my catalogue, not possible
with Doctor Pringle of course as he was deceased.

If the sale goes well the drinks may be on Mr Macmillan at the AGM of the
Scottish Chapter of the IBNS in Edinburgh two weeks after the auction. Billy

Old August 19th 05, 08:23 PM
KJM

Quite often when I purchase older Canadian (1937, and 1954 issue) bank notes
in quantity from elderly ladies there is a fabric softener scent on them,
and these notes hadn't been washed or pressed. I suspected the cause but
asked a few customers to confirm it, and I was right. I had been told by a
few of them that the notes had been stashed in the "undy drawer" for years.
One batch of notes had an over powering smell of "Downy" and the lady told
me that it had been hidden in the laundry cabinet. It took a year for those
notes to air out. I surmised that the "undy drawer" and the laundry hiding
places were chosen based on the fact that these were the two least likely
spots their husbands would ever accidentally find the stash.

Just an observation,
Kyle

"note.boy" wrote in message
If you click on the small pic you will get a larger version, clear enough

see that some notes are strangely flat, even the dirty ones, and some seem

bit bright for old paper that should tone over time.

I will, as usual, be sniffing them for signs of Persil or Bold, they are
washing powders. Billy

Scottishmoney wrote:

I am not sure where you saw nicer pictures of the notes, the link I went
through had only lousy pictures of the notes.

So far I have only viewed up through Caledonian Banking Co, but will

have a
look at the rest of them later. Interesting that in many ways as you

note
this collection mirrors the Pringle Collection auctioned back in 2002

"note.boy" wrote in message
No sign of the printed catalogue yet but the online version is
available.

http://www.spink.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp?t=415409&

I've had a look starting at lot one and from the illustrations the sad
pattern of the Austin and Pringle auctions is being repeated, many of

the notes look pressed and/or cleaned. I don't know "Mr McIntyre" but

do know Mr Macmillan and so far the "McIntyre" notes are the

suspicious
ones. The true identity of "Mr McIntyre" is known but I can't post

that
information here.

Have a look, what do you think?

The viewing is on the Sunday before the auction so I'll know for sure
then. Billy