Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr

Old August 10th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr

John Mazor wrote:
Honus wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
John Mazor wrote:

snip

Amen. Neither side is perfect or blameless. There are
incompetent and even criminal labor leaders just as there are
incompetent and criminal executives. I don't have any truck with
idiots who categorically condemn capitalism, corporations and the
market system any more than I do with those who do the same to
unions. We need both because both sides do far more good than
harm for society.

You seem to possess a rare feeling for the complexity of human
nature and human relations. Keep up the good work!

Not only that, he uses the delightful phrase "I don't have any truck
with...." Maybe it's still common usage elsewhere, but where I hail
from I never get to hear it!

Likewise is the phrase "where I hail from" a rarity these days.

Ditto for "So which 'neck of the woods' do y'all hail from?"

Well, to answer your question, I just live down the road a piece and a wagon
greasin' or two.

James

Old August 10th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

John Mazor wrote:
Honus wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
John Mazor wrote:

[...]

That's a fer' piece from my stompin' grounds.

Old August 11th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Honus wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
John Mazor wrote:

snip

Amen. Neither side is perfect or blameless. There are incompetent
and even criminal labor leaders just as there are incompetent and
criminal executives. I don't have any truck with idiots who
categorically condemn capitalism, corporations and the market
system any more than I do with those who do the same to unions. We need
both because both sides do far more good than harm for
society.

You seem to possess a rare feeling for the complexity of human
nature and human relations. Keep up the good work!

Not only that, he uses the delightful phrase "I don't have any truck
with...." Maybe it's still common usage elsewhere, but where I hail
from I never get to hear it!

Likewise is the phrase "where I hail from" a rarity these days.

Then I'll reply with "touchee", which is heard much too often.

Old August 11th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Honus wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Honus wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
John Mazor wrote:

snip

Amen. Neither side is perfect or blameless. There are
incompetent and even criminal labor leaders just as there are
incompetent and criminal executives. I don't have any truck with
idiots who categorically condemn capitalism, corporations and the
market system any more than I do with those who do the same to unions.
We need both because both sides do far more good than harm for
society.

You seem to possess a rare feeling for the complexity of human
nature and human relations. Keep up the good work!

Not only that, he uses the delightful phrase "I don't have any truck
with...." Maybe it's still common usage elsewhere, but where I hail
from I never get to hear it!

Likewise is the phrase "where I hail from" a rarity these days.

Then I'll reply with "touchee", which is heard much too often.

Acceptable as long as you spell it with an accent aigu: touché

James the French-Looking

Old August 11th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

Well, to answer your question, I just live down the road a piece and a wagon
greasin' or two.

James

We must be neighbors because I only live a hoot and a holler from
there! 8-)
Old August 11th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:

Well, to answer your question, I just live down the road a piece and
a wagon greasin' or two.

James

We must be neighbors because I only live a hoot and a holler from
there! 8-)

Which contingent do you subscribe to, the one that says 1 hoot = 2.54
hollers, or the one that insists that it's 1 hoot = .75 holler? Your answer
will settle the question of our being neighbors.

James

Old August 11th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"John Mazor" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
John Mazor wrote:

snip

Amen. Neither side is perfect or blameless. There are incompetent
and even criminal labor leaders just as there are incompetent and
criminal executives. I don't have any truck with idiots who
categorically condemn capitalism, corporations and the market system
any more than I do with those who do the same to unions. We need
both because both sides do far more good than harm for society.

You seem to possess a rare feeling for the complexity of human nature
and human relations. Keep up the good work!

Not only that, he uses the delightful phrase "I don't have any truck
with...." Maybe it's still common usage elsewhere, but where I hail from
I never get to hear it!

Thank you. The term is antiquated if not obsolescent by now, which is too
bad because it connotes much more disdain than "avoid" or "have nothing to
do with". I think it was heard mostly in the South and former frontier
areas. From the Old French "troquer" it means to trade or have dealings
with. A more interesting reference I found was truckmaster - "an officer
in charge of trade with Indians, especially among the early settlers."
So we probably got it from the early French trappers and settlers.
"Bourse" also came to us from the French for purse.

I remember that's where I first heard the expression. From the French
trappers. Nice buncha fellas. I also learned "Sacré Blue!" from them, too,
just before I started seeing it in comic books. I've still never heard
anyone actually say that in person-- just in the comics and maybe by French
traders in some of the 1950's TV westerns.

Old August 11th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Honus wrote:

snip

Then I'll reply with "touchee", which is heard much too often.

Acceptable as long as you spell it with an accent aigu: touché

James the French-Looking

As soon as I hit the send button I realized I had one too many e's. And I
don't care about the aigu.

Honus the Lazy

Old August 11th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aladdin Sane

"John Mazor" wrote in message

That's a fer' piece from my stompin' grounds.

Ain't thet out past the broked stump?

Old August 11th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

"Aladdin Sane" wrote in message

"John Mazor" wrote in message news:MvJnk.558$EL2.237@trnddc01...

That's a fer' piece from my stompin' grounds.

Ain't thet out past the broked stump?

Yep. Pass three more barns then keep yore eyes peeled for the second outhouse.