1899 double eagle

Old September 19th 04, 08:01 PM
Jim Wild

Default 1899 double eagle

I finally saw my friends coin collection from his youth. He has a lot of
interesting things in dusty collection. Most notably, a 1899 double
eagle in MS condition. That is strangly held within a braclet type of
holder. It is incased in a thin medal ring that embraces the rim with
tiny tabs holding the back of it in place.

My question is, how much does it cost to send and have slabbed a coin to
PCGS?

Thanks in advance

Old September 20th 04, 04:33 PM
WinWinscenario

My question is, how much does it cost to send and have slabbed a coin to
PCGS?

First you have to be an authorized submitter, either by submitting through an
authorized dealer or by becoming a member of their Collectors Club (you get
four free submissions if you join for $99).

Then the price is $30 for Regular service, which is what would work for your
gold coin. Plus you have to pay postage and insurance both ways.

Regards,
Tom

Old September 20th 04, 10:28 PM
Jim Wild

Thanks for the info Tom. I will relay this to my friend. My thinking is
that an MS-60 is indeed in UNC. condition with luster and all, but looks
likes it has been in a train wreck or something. An MS-68 is a supreme
perfect flawless example. I would assume that PCGS examines these coins
under a microscope for the number of scratches and/or other
imperfections. I'm on my to convincing him to do this. He doesn't want
to sell it, but is suddenly interested in the possible value of between
$900 and $9000. He was under the assumption that a coin was a coin. I am
trying to convined him to take that coin out of it's metal bracelet
holder that his mom had it in. Anyway, thanks for your imput.

Jim

Stories about a rare coin (1933 Double Eagle) Modemac Coins 7 August 16th 04 05:21 PM
Old Heritage Auction of 1879-O Double Eagle in an ACG slab Bruce Greenblatt Coins 1 March 31st 04 04:51 PM
FS: "The Kills" and the 1933 $20 Double Eagle Connection Ira Stein Coins 0 March 24th 04 02:31 PM
FA: PCGS MS61 1904 Liberty Double Eagle Ed Kelley Coins 0 August 2nd 03 09:34 PM
1928 double eagle Donzup Coins 3 July 10th 03 07:19 PM