Found a Dime, or So I Thought...

Old December 20th 03, 07:03 PM
Steve

Default Found a Dime, or So I Thought...

I found what looked to be a dime at work this morning. It was in the
grass beside the sidewalk. I picked it up, took it in and rinsed it
off(no rubbing, just rinsing), and what I thought was a dime, turns out
to be a 1985 cent. The interesting thing about this cent is that it is
the same shiny silver color as a dime. It is the correct size for a
cent, but has no copper coating on it. The only thing on it is a
rose-color on and around Lincoln's head. It also makes a distinctly
different sound from other '85 cents when dropped on a table. Does
anyone have any ideas about this? Any help at all is appreciated.

Steve

Old December 20th 03, 08:15 PM
Wayland

"Steve" wrote in message
I found what looked to be a dime at work this morning. It was in the
grass beside the sidewalk. I picked it up, took it in and rinsed it
off(no rubbing, just rinsing), and what I thought was a dime, turns out
to be a 1985 cent. The interesting thing about this cent is that it is
the same shiny silver color as a dime. It is the correct size for a
cent, but has no copper coating on it. The only thing on it is a
rose-color on and around Lincoln's head. It also makes a distinctly
different sound from other '85 cents when dropped on a table. Does
anyone have any ideas about this? Any help at all is appreciated.

Steve

(Way back) when I was young, I could buy mercury at the drugstore (or have
an accident with a thermometer). A little liquid mercury rubbed on a cent
and you have a "silver penny".

This is NOT a good idea since mercury is absorbed through the skin and has
harmful consequences.

Pat
Still mad as a hatter.

Old December 20th 03, 08:16 PM
John Baumgart

"Steve" wrote in message
I found what looked to be a dime at work this morning. It was in the
grass beside the sidewalk. I picked it up, took it in and rinsed it
off(no rubbing, just rinsing), and what I thought was a dime, turns out
to be a 1985 cent. The interesting thing about this cent is that it is
the same shiny silver color as a dime. It is the correct size for a
cent, but has no copper coating on it. The only thing on it is a
rose-color on and around Lincoln's head. It also makes a distinctly
different sound from other '85 cents when dropped on a table. Does
anyone have any ideas about this? Any help at all is appreciated.

Does it make the same sound as a dime? Could be struck on a dime planchet.

John Baumgart

Old December 21st 03, 12:43 AM
Shystev99

I found what looked to be a dime at work this morning. It was in the
grass beside the sidewalk. I picked it up, took it in and rinsed it
off(no rubbing, just rinsing), and what I thought was a dime, turns out
to be a 1985 cent. The interesting thing about this cent is that it is
the same shiny silver color as a dime. It is the correct size for a
cent, but has no copper coating on it. The only thing on it is a
rose-color on and around Lincoln's head. It also makes a distinctly
different sound from other '85 cents when dropped on a table. Does
anyone have any ideas about this? Any help at all is appreciated.

Steve

How visible is the 8 in 1985? Is it clearly an 8 or just a guess it might be an
8?

I ask because I was thumbing through a semi outdated coin book (2000 coin
world) and they have a section dedicated to oddities, One of the oddities
described are 1975 pennies struck in aluminum, Says they were testing better
methods of making cents. The book says only 66 were made and that the mint
first denied any were mad but later was only released by the mint because of
the freedom of information act when someone was researching St Gauden Coins in
1996.
Book also says the reason this was happening, The Aluminum cents was because in
1973 the copper price was rising up and above what the value of the cent coin
was so they were trying to find new metals instead of copper. In 1974 and 75
they toyed with aluminum and steel cents minting 1,579,324 1974 cents in
aluminum and 66 1975 cents in aluminum.
Book also says one of these coins is now in the smithsonian. The others were
destroyed except for 1 which was given to Coin World by a collector to examine
in 1994.

Not sure how accurate any of that is but that's the basic jist of what the book
says. lol
Steve

Old December 21st 03, 01:28 AM
Richard L. Hall

"Shystev99" wrote in message
[...]

Try this

http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p2084.html

Old December 21st 03, 01:44 AM
Shystev99

Try this

http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p2084.html

OK,
Book never mentioned that last part. lol
Think I had better learn when to quit.
lol
Steve

GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY Books 0 August 29th 04 06:07 AM
Found in coin hoard so far. bri Coins 0 December 5th 03 04:38 AM
2003 Dime error? Shystev99 Coins 2 November 15th 03 09:03 PM
I found this on the bulletin board garypiers Juke Boxes 0 November 6th 03 03:33 AM
Found in Rolls... Steve Coins 2 July 12th 03 11:47 PM