Serendipity

Old December 27th 03, 12:55 AM
Bob Ingraham

Default Serendipity

So, what's happening in the world of stampin'? Any goodies under the
Christmas tree? Santa bring a plate block of six XSF MNH Bluenoses down the
chimney? This NG has been pretty quiet, except for a really dull
conversation about esoteric computer codes. Base 8 numbering systems? Gimme
a break! I barely made it through base 10! Or was it base nine.... :^)

My Christmas was "philatelic" only in the sense that I got a couple of WWII
books which will, hopefully, improve my understanding of certain WWII
stamps. I did get a pre-Christmas philatelic goody though. Or, more
accurately, several of them....

For some time I've been looking for a First Flight Cover from Silver City or
Hurley, New Mexico, my childhood stompin' (and stampin') grounds. The first
official airmail service didn't reach that area until 1950. I am working on
a web page about an airmail cover that was mailed from Vancouver's Chinatown
to Silver City in 1941. I've want an FFC to serve as evidence that the cover
could not have reached Silver City by air.

I lost a FFC on eBay about six or eight months ago, and since then I've been
fruitlessly searching for another one. At our last British Columbia
Philatelic Society meeting before Christmas we had our monthly auction, and
I bought a small box of covers and old approval envelopes, entirely because
it had a set of New Zealand stamps that I wanted. Imagine my amazement (and
pleasure!) when I was going through the box later and discovered a Silver
City FFC! Wow! Isn't this a great hobby? (To top it off, I was browsing the
internet and came across a Frontier Airlines DC-3 postcard, the first I've
seen; it would have been Frontier DC-3 that first brought airmail to Silver
City. I now waiting for it to arrive.)

In the same box, the one I won at the BC Phil auction, were some other nice
items: An Indo-China Petain issue from 1941, the same stamp overprinted
"KOUANG TCHEOU" (a French Chinese colony that later was turned over to the
Japanese), and Hong Kong N2, one of three Hong Kong Japanese occupation
overprints, and a nice set of Tannu Tuva stamps (are you aware that Scott
has recently started listing the "modern" Tannu Tuva stamps?).

Bob

Old December 27th 03, 02:53 AM
Doug Spade

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
So, what's happening in the world of stampin'? Any goodies under the
Christmas tree?

Mine was pre-Christmas, too. A really nice used US Scott #76, nicely
centered and lightly cancelled (*really* hard to find without the perfs
cutting into the frame line on at least one side *and* without being
virtually obliterated by a heavy cancel) that I acquired at auction for a
decent price last month.

I purchased one years ago from a dealer in the eastern part of the country
who had sent me his catalog. It was an absolutely gorgeous stamp, except
for the tear I discovered after its arrival. He very nicely refunded my
money, and I've kept up the search for an acceptable copy ever since. Over
that time, the catalog value has gone up quite a bit, making it even harder
to find at a price I was willing to pay and meeting my centering/cancel
criteria.

Post-Christmas opportunity---a couple of others in an upcoming auction that
I'm closely watching. Maybe I can finally round out
my C1-6 airmail set!

Mike

Old December 27th 03, 04:32 AM
Grandpa

My son, DIL and grandson got me a PO Commemorative Panel with the 5
Southeastern Lighthouses on it.

Old December 27th 03, 10:20 AM
Rodney

Serendipity is looking for needle in a haystack,
..........and instead, finding the Farmer's daughter.

My 1934 Tannu Tuva, for the delight of your eyes.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=189

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old December 27th 03, 12:19 PM
Mette

Bob Ingraham wrote in message
So, what's happening in the world of stampin'? Any goodies under the
Christmas tree? Santa bring a plate block of six XSF MNH Bluenoses down

the
chimney?

Santa made it to me just in time for Christmas with
a wonderful unlisted variety of a Danish cover, and a
neatly cancelled copy of Canada # 85 (XMAS 1898).
And a beautiful bisect on cover from Danish West
Indies. Plus a number of other goodies ...

Mette

Old December 27th 03, 06:38 PM
taodave

In article ,
Bob Ingraham wrote:

For some time I've been looking for a First Flight Cover from Silver City or
Hurley, New Mexico, my childhood stompin' (and stampin') grounds. The first
official airmail service didn't reach that area until 1950. I am working on
a web page about an airmail cover that was mailed from Vancouver's Chinatown
to Silver City in 1941. I've want an FFC to serve as evidence that the cover
could not have reached Silver City by air.

Bob,

Do you know how large Silver City was in the early 1900s?---not that I'm
implying you were around back then!

I have a 1907 registered letter from German East Africa to Silver City
in one of my GEA exhibits.

TIA

David Lobdell
Simple Country Pathologist
Old December 27th 03, 11:37 PM
Tom Loepp

Bob Ingraham wrote:

[...]

December 26th, a package arrived from Turkey - 90 Black theme postcards. Much
of them like the derogatory Black Americana humor cards but printed in England,
France, Senegal, South Africa, etc. Quite a few are of the National Geographic
Native type of card. Almost all are from the early 1900's. Very few of these
were used in the U.S.. These were mostly used in French Colonies. I've always
seen the the U.S. ones but not so many of the African and French ones. Half of
them go into my collection and the other half I will pass on to other
collectors, the ones that aren't complete as far as stamps and postmarks.
Sometime in the future I will probably post the website of the dealer in Turkey
in "marketplace".

-- Tom Loepp

Website: http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old December 29th 03, 12:29 AM
Bob Ingraham

12/27/2003 10:38 AM

In article ,
Bob Ingraham wrote:

For some time I've been looking for a First Flight Cover from Silver City or
Hurley, New Mexico, my childhood stompin' (and stampin') grounds. The first
official airmail service didn't reach that area until 1950. I am working on
a web page about an airmail cover that was mailed from Vancouver's Chinatown
to Silver City in 1941. I've want an FFC to serve as evidence that the cover
could not have reached Silver City by air.

Bob,

Do you know how large Silver City was in the early 1900s?---not that I'm
implying you were around back then!

I have a 1907 registered letter from German East Africa to Silver City
in one of my GEA exhibits.

TIA

David Lobdell
Simple Country Pathologist

Dave (and anyone else who might be interested),

German East Africa to Silver City? Now that's got to be a rare
origin/destination! Could we see an image of the cover?

Silver City was well actually well known because of its gold and silver
mines. I discuss this briefly on one of my web pages, "An Old Cover Takes me
Home," at http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/Silver.html. There's a scan from a
Dutch atlas published in 1908; it shows a map of New Mexico, with Silver
City the only town shown besides the capital, Santa Fe. Today, Silver City
surely ranks below 10th place in terms of population.

I really have no idea of early population statistics for Silver City. I
believe that the heyday of the gold and silver mines had largely ended by
1890; following that, growth resulted from an increase in ranching activity
and the opening of larger, "permanent" mines, all of which are now closed.
When I was a teenager, Silver City's population was about 8,000 people. I
doubt that the population in 1900 would have been much more than a couple
thousand people, if that. I could be way wrong about this, though. (It's
interesting that a Google search turned up exactly nothing in the way of a
general history of Silver City. Opportunity knocks for anyone with the
interest.)

Postcards from the early years of the 20th Century show that the city was
spread out over much of the same area that it encompasses today, but
buildings and homes were more widely separated. (See web page, URL given
above.) In recent years subdivisions have spread in
all directions, especially north into the foothills of the Pinos Altos
Range. Here is the URL for an image of a 1940s-era postcard, showing that
population density definitely increased; the view is to the west southwest,
if memory serves: http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/images/silvercity1940s.jpg.

You might be able to get some information from the Silver City Museum. Susan
Berry is the curator; her e-mail is . The web site URL
is http://www.silvercitymuseum.org.

I would be interested in learning the results of any further inquiries you
might make.

Best regards, and good luck!

Bob

Old December 29th 03, 01:01 AM
Grandpa

Just as a point of interest, the following site is a map of NM in 1895.

http://htg-is.vianet.net/~artpike/trains6.htm

Bob Ingraham wrote:

12/27/2003 10:38 AM

Old December 29th 03, 12:38 PM
taodave

In article ,
Bob Ingraham wrote:

Dave (and anyone else who might be interested),

German East Africa to Silver City? Now that's got to be a rare
origin/destination! Could we see an image of the cover?

Bob,

I've found the JPEGs of my GEA cover to Silver City, and will send them
to your e-mail address.

Best,

Dave Lobdell