Fisher Linear-tracking Turntables... :-(

Old May 24th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Fisher Linear-tracking Turntables... :-(

Yikes! I tried one out a week ago- yikes. It sounds TERRIBLE. New
stylus too! It has a "unique" cartridge- meaning, only a Fisher
cartridge will fit on it, possibly the ONLY Fisher cartridge too. Oh,
and there's only a .7 mil stylus for it- one and only. The outer
grooves didn't sound too bad thru headphones, but the inner grooves
mistracked horribly! It sounded like Loretta Lynn (the test LP) was
double-tracked. That's just how bad and inefficient the cartridge was.
Yowsers! Highly UNrecommended! :-( Too bad too, because the asking
price wasn't bad at all.

Old May 26th 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

try a Technics linear track table, with P-type cartridge- those are
really GOOD.

modern fisher stuff, is junk.

Old May 27th 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 26 May 2006 06:52:58 -0700, "
wrote:

try a Technics linear track table, with P-type cartridge- those are
really GOOD. snip

You ****wad....Technics never SOLD a linear tracker. Do you even know
what a "linear tracker" is? No, as usual.

More BS from the king of BS.
Old May 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

You're totally WRONG there, Bob.

I have a linear tracking Technics turntable, it came with a Technics
rack system I bought new in 1986. It's a model SL-L26.

They are rare because shortly thereafter, the Technics name was
shelved.. You won't see any on Ebay right now.

But they did make them- belt drive too. FWIW, most audio engineers now
agree, belt drive is superior, because it isolates the platter from the
motor- like a shock absorber.

In my own words and verbage- Linear tracking- the tonearm doesn't pivot
and swing across the record in an arc- it tracks directly across the
middle of the record in a straight line- the entire tonearm moves on
both ends, from right to left.

I can put up a tinypic if you insist. Someday you'll realize I've been
in this audio game a long, long time- it's more than a hobby- it's a
lifestyle.

Here's linear tracking by definition, from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonogr...nograph_theory

"If the arm is not pivoted, but instead travels horizontally along a
radius of the disc, there is no skating force and no cartridge angle
error. The arm is driven along a linear track using an electronic
servomechanism to position it properly. Bang & Olufsen developed the
first practical system with its model Beogram 4000 in 1972. Early
Edison phonographs had utilized similar spring-powered drives to carry
the stylus across the record at a pre-determined rate. In practice, the
linear tracking system is not widely used today due to its complexity
and attendant expense. However, some of the most sophisticated systems
do employ this technique. It is nearly ideal, as the stylus replicates
the motion of the recording lathe when the master recording was cut."

Old May 28th 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

actually, Technics made quite a few linear tracking tables- perhaps if
you start showing some respect, you'll start getting some in return.

http://www.backspin.org/kwatari.htm

Programable Linear Tracking Player System SL-6
Quartz Direct Drive Linear Tracking 10 Programable SL-QL15
Quartz Direct Drive(Slotless) 8 Programable Linear Tracking, TP4 SL-J3
Quartz Direct Drive(Slotless) Direct Play Linear Tracking, TP4 SL-J2
Quartz Direct Drive 8 Programable Linear Tracking TP4 SL-J33
Quartz Direct Drive(Slotless) 8 Programable Linear Tracking, TP4
SL-J300

Old May 28th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default DUMB ASS Scarborough thought Technics didn't make linear turntables

a picture is starting to form, about the IQ level of DeserTBob

no wonder his Ebay and email accounts were dropped like flies ?

he's a DUMB ****. His attacks are to hide his own mental ineptitude.

Old May 28th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 28 May 2006 08:00:30 -0700, "
wrote:

You're totally WRONG there, Bob.

I have a linear tracking Technics turntable, it came with a Technics
rack system I bought new in 1986. It's a model SL-L26. snip

Shazam! That is correct. I never saw this in the Technics catalog,
or on sale.

But they did make them- belt drive too. FWIW, most audio engineers now
agree, belt drive is superior, because it isolates the platter from the
motor- like a shock absorber. snip

Low speed DC brushless motors don't have "vibration."

In my own words and verbage- Linear tracking- the tonearm doesn't pivot
and swing across the record in an arc- it tracks directly across the
middle of the record in a straight line- the entire tonearm moves on
both ends, from right to left. snip

Correct. Linear tracking was supposed to be the panecea that
eliminated tracking error and resonance. Didn't work out that way,
since the servos weren't all they were supposed to be, and skating was
a definite problem. The best one I remember was by B&O. The rest
were...eh. Stylus damage and groove wear were big problems when the
servo would get hosed up on lesser linear trackers, and cartridge
choices were very limited.

I can put up a tinypic if you insist. Someday you'll realize I've been
in this audio game a long, long time- it's more than a hobby- it's a
lifestyle. snip

Your ideas of "audio" aren't congruent with quality.
Old May 28th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 28 May 2006 08:11:30 -0700, "
wrote:

actually, Technics made quite a few linear tracking tables- perhaps if
you start showing some respect, you'll start getting some in return. snip

This is correct. I never saw one or dealt with one, since by that
time, cheaper linear trackers were out of favor for reasons I've
already stated.

I don't give any respect to petty thieves and fraudsters.
Old May 28th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

BUMP