Grading Service Questions

Old March 24th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Grading Service Questions

It's been a week, and my email to PCGS hasn't been answered (although I
got the ignorebot "yes, we got your email" reply, so I'll ask a couple
of questions here.

The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else? What
is the maximum value per coin?

My impression is that PCGS is the best-regarded of the coin grading
services, but they don't seem to respond to email quickly. Is another
service better?

Old March 24th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:45:38 -0000, Warren Block
is alleged to have written:
It's been a week, and my email to PCGS hasn't been answered (although I
got the ignorebot "yes, we got your email" reply, so I'll ask a couple
of questions here.

Email is the WORST way to communicate with them. I am unaware of any
email to them getting a response if it wasn't followed up with a phone
call. Phone calls work well, though

The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else? What
is the maximum value per coin?

No maximum value per coin. The turnaround time seems better than the
regular submissions though not by much.

My impression is that PCGS is the best-regarded of the coin grading
services, but they don't seem to respond to email quickly. Is another
service better?

PCGS is the strictest grader, but their customer service is spotty at
best. NGC has better customer service. ANACS normally has the best
customer service of the majors but they're still getting their act
together after the move and I've heard of problems. I've heard nothing
but good about ICG customer service, but I've never used them so I
can't really say.

None of them respond to email well. Phone calls work great.

Bruce (Of the other services I will not speak)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old March 25th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Bruce H (BoxTurtle) wrote:
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:45:38 -0000, Warren Block
is alleged to have written:
It's been a week, and my email to PCGS hasn't been answered (although I
got the ignorebot "yes, we got your email" reply, so I'll ask a couple
of questions here.

Email is the WORST way to communicate with them. I am unaware of any
email to them getting a response if it wasn't followed up with a phone
call. Phone calls work well, though

The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else? What
is the maximum value per coin?

No maximum value per coin. The turnaround time seems better than the
regular submissions though not by much.

Hmm. I dunno. I just bought the Platinum membership. They said it
will take 21 days, and the max value is $3000

Old March 25th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Warren Block wrote:
The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else? What
is the maximum value per coin?

I submitted my eight freebies a couple of weeks ago. When I checked
their status, I saw they were economy submissions. The wait time is 45
days. Ouch! I'm glad I'm not too broke.

Anita

Old March 25th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Changing subtopics to "me, me me" Grading Service Questions

Michael Ng wrote:
Speaking of it, I'm sending some of my NGC coins to PCGS for crossover
consideration. They are (in original grade)

My only question is why.

Anita

Old March 25th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Michael Ng wrote in

Bruce H (BoxTurtle) wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006 16:15:18 -0800, is alleged to
have

No maximum value per coin. The turnaround time seems better than
the regular submissions though not by much.

Hmm. I dunno. I just bought the Platinum membership. They said
it will take 21 days, and the max value is $3000

They must have changed since I joined. Thanks for correcting me!

Bruce (Never wrong, but sometimes my computer misquotes me)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.

Speaking of it, I'm sending some of my NGC coins to PCGS for
crossover consideration. They are (in original grade)

1834 50c MS62
1852 H10c MS66
1864 SM 2C MS65RB
1866 Shield 5c w/ Rays MS64
1883 5c No Cents PR65
1885 10c MS64
1917 Type 1 25c MS64FH
1928-S $1 MS63

Each of the above (execpt for the 1917 and the 1928-S), I've paid a
1/2 grade premium. I'll let you know when I get the grades back
(sometime in May probably).

Mike

Very exciting! I would love to see pics, just because!

And, yes, please do let us know what happens when you get them back!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Current auctions by mystr-e:
http://tinyurl.com/6tyal

Old March 25th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

" wrote in
oups.com:

Warren Block wrote:
The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else?
What is the maximum value per coin?

I submitted my eight freebies a couple of weeks ago. When I checked
their status, I saw they were economy submissions. The wait time is
45 days. Ouch! I'm glad I'm not too broke.

Anita

Ugh! I was expecting to hear from you, very soon, as to what those
Morgans came back as!

Now, I gotta wait even longer! I can't handle the anticipation!

Man, what am I gonna do when I send my Morgans to PCGS?!?! I just might
explode!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Current auctions by mystr-e:
http://tinyurl.com/6tyal

Old March 25th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 24 Mar 2006 20:19:26 -0800, "
wrote:

Warren Block wrote:
The Platinum membership gives "eight free submissions" but doesn't
specify what kind. Are they Regular, Economy, or something else? What
is the maximum value per coin?

I submitted my eight freebies a couple of weeks ago. When I checked
their status, I saw they were economy submissions. The wait time is 45
days. Ouch! I'm glad I'm not too broke.

Anita

Economy Just Shot Up To 60 Days!

Regards,

Gary Loveless

"got three submissions in myself!"

Old March 26th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Eric Babula wrote:
Ugh! I was expecting to hear from you, very soon, as to what those
Morgans came back as!

Now, I gotta wait even longer! I can't handle the anticipation!

Man, what am I gonna do when I send my Morgans to PCGS?!?! I just might
explode!

I didn't send any 1878's in this time, Eric. The ones I sent in last
year came back with MS63's on them. I wasn't disappointed, because I
wondered if they were 62's. Still I hope for 64, just for the big
difference it makes in the money.

Most coins I send to PCGS come back with 63 or 64 on them. A few have
come back entombed in a body bag. I hope none of the recent ones will.
If they do, maybe I'll just bury them in the back yard so that someone
on down the line can get excited about digging up old money.

Anita