Looking for bank silver

Old March 15th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Looking for bank silver

"oly" was musing and decided to promulgate the following query:
Why do I feel that a lot of people need to spend two or three dollars
and obtain a used Red Book two or three years old?

I don't know why you feel like that, Oly. Feel free to tell us. :-)

Señor Amistad
'pondering on it in Texas'

Old March 15th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Could it be that all the information that has been related to the
original poster could be obtained in a five minute review of the Red
Book?

oly

Old March 15th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Could it be that all the information that has been related to the
original poster could be obtained in a five minute review of the Red
Book?

oly

Not that I care one way or the other but could it be that many prefer to
gather their information from people?
That interaction is important to many people and to me too even though I am
an introvert by nature and a recluse
by choice. I have a pretty decent coin library and almost any question I
could ask
(about anything I am interested in) I can find answers to in my library.
How much fun is that if there were no interaction with other collectors
because it wasn't actually needed? I and others would miss a lot,
especially the insights experience gives others that books can't pass along.

It would be a shame to miss out on the kind, the helpful, the knowledgeable,
the rough and gruff and the acerbic personalities here :-)

Dale
YMMV

Old March 15th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message

"Jonathan_ATC" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Lowell Kempton" wrote in message
O.K. so now I'm a little confused. We have the Kennedy haves from
1965-1970 and bicentennial Kennedy of 1976 ... and the bicentennial
regular circulated quarters? Or is that just the proof and mint sets

for
the quarters (yes/no) My bank has no Ikes.

Thanks guys

Are you talking about which coins are 40% silver?
1964 and before half dollars were 90% silver
1965--1970 Kennedy half dollars were 40% silver clad

AFAIK, no 1976 quarters or halves had any silver content. If so, I'm
sitting on a mint of it as I have $1000 face in Bicentenial quarters.
Hahaha! I don't recall the 1976 proofs as having any silver content
either.

Not true. There were special 3 coin sets produced in 1975-1976 with 40%
silver clad quarters, half dollars and dollars. These bore the date
1776-1976 and a San Francisco mint mark. They were available in both

proof
and uncirculated versions. There were 11 million uncirculated sets

produced
and 4 million proof sets.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

Thanks, Richard, I was unaware. I was looking in the Red Book for that
information. I DO see a three coin quarter set, is that what you mean?

Jonathan_ATC

Old March 15th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Oly.
You made a couple of good points and ordinarily I would agree with you
but, my bank is located in the same parking lot that I use when I go to
work so there is no additional gas involved. And I wont be redepositing
the coinage. I can 'wash' the coinage through my business with
customers, at a tune of a couple hundred dollars over any given weekend.
The bank that I use for business (same parking lot remember) also holds
titles for both my boat & home loans in addition to my checking and
savings accounts. And if I didn't mention this earlier, the branch
manager and I grew up together going to the same highschool and playing
on the same football team ; ) incidentally we both go to the same
dentist, our old Quarter Back ... All true, (small town thing you know)
So I find them pretty cooperative. And lastly, If I go out and buy a
little used Red Book to answer ALL my questions I wouldn't have the
pleasure of talking to nice people like you!

Hey, I thought I might give it a shot and just see what I can find,
maybe nothing.

Old March 15th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com, "oly"

wrote:

I would suggest using your time to recycle aluminum (and other scrap
metal if you have potential sources) and using the proceeds to buy
silver. The exercise in doing that would be more beneficial for your
health than sitting on your butt looking through halves. If it weren't
for the demands of my job (time & travel) I might get into that
sideline myself!

I have a Storage locker at one of those thousand Storage locker places, and
there's a guy who has one across from mine. In fact I think he has two of
them, side by side. He looks to be in his early 40s. He pays about $400.00 a
month rent on them. From talking to him, I've deduced he's not an ignornat
person, but he told me he has no job, no phone, no computer, and no car and
says he lives in a one-room apartment over someone's garage. So he sometimes
sits there all day, sifting through the mountain of crap he has stuffed into
these 10'x15' Storage lockers, packing up things to recycle. He'll fill up
literally a dozen thirty gallon black trash bags with plastic bottles and
crushed aluminum cans, newspapers and magazines, and then tie them all to a
shopping cart and push them for many city blocks to the nearest recycling
center. He can make maybe $50.00 to $100.00 for a day's work, intense, ugly,
dirty, sweaty physical labor, sorting all that stuff, crushing cans and
plastic bottles, stuffing it into trash bags, tying so many of them onto a
shopping cart, that all you can see are its wheels and handle, and then
pushing it for blocks to recycle. The last time I was there, after having
struck up a sort of tenuous "just chatting" friendship with him, (I'm not
going to invite him over for tea and crumpets..) .. he came running over to
me, soaked in sweat with what he said was a $2000.00 Louis Vutton purse, and
asked if I'd take it and sell it on eBay for him, and I could keep half the
money. Heh. So I looked at it. The leather handles were heavily worn, it had
a couple rips in the fabric, it had obviously been used for years by a woman
who then tossed it out. He found it in a dumpster somewhere. I unzipped its
inner compartment and said "Look at this", showing him the "Made in China"
tag. It was a counterfeit. I told him it was worthless. "Gee, I didn't even
see that tag" he said. All I could do was stand there and think.. how sad.

Calif has something called "CRV" - when you buy bottled or canned soda or
beer or water at a supermarket, you pay an extra nickel for the CRV. If you
recycle that can or bottle at an authorized recycling place, you get the
nickel back. So at twenty nickels in a dollar, you'd have to recycle two
thousand cans and bottles in a day to make a hundred bucks. That's what this
guy does to make a couple hundred a week.

So yeah, there are people out there who make a "living" doing nothing but
picking up trash and recycling it. It's do-able, but it ain't pretty.

Harv

Old March 15th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

I assume you mean the Red Book listings under mint sets and proof sets. I
think they are the sets but it doesn't say they are silver. I don't
remember the mint selling 3 piece Cu-Ni clad sets. However, under the
individual listings, it does show coins of 40% silver clad, with the
mintages mentioned above for each denomination, quarter, half, and dollar. I
have one of these silver sets that I got from the mint at the time.

Old March 15th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Lowell Kempton wrote:
[...]

=================
Just how small is your town LOL.

BTW - here's a link to the PGCS coinfact site. Just which one of
youse have 1 of the 4 Bi proof sets without the mint mark :0)

http://coinfacts.com/half_dollars/ke...f_dollars.html

Old March 16th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message

I assume you mean the Red Book listings under mint sets and proof sets. I
think they are the sets but it doesn't say they are silver. I don't
remember the mint selling 3 piece Cu-Ni clad sets. However, under the
individual listings, it does show coins of 40% silver clad, with the
mintages mentioned above for each denomination, quarter, half, and dollar.

have one of these silver sets that I got from the mint at the time.

I see them now. I WAS looking in the proof/mint sets section, not the
individual coin sections. See, this is why I like this group over just
looking in the Red Book. One can learn a great deal more in the group.

Thanks for your information.

Jonathan_ATC

Old March 16th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Lowell Kempton" wrote in message
I have read on this thread that several people enjoy going to their
banks and buying coinage, pulling out 40% silver clads and other tid
bits. I have never done this but I thought I might give it a shot and
see what I could come up with.
I am aware of the Kennedy half dollars 1965 through 1969, but is there
any other post 64' denomination/years I should be on the look-out for if
only looking for silver?

Thanks in advance.

Look for errors--there are several of note. Like there's 'no FG' (missing
designer initials on the reverse) for '72D, '82, '83 and '90. There's a
doubled die reverse '74D that's fairly popular. '73 has a DDR. Then you can
also find things like Kennedys with missing clad layers--those are quite a
find right there. Any dated after 2001 were never released into circulation
so you would want to keep any of those- if they're still BU- since they all
have low mintages for a modern coin. Some years have very large die cracks
on the obverse. There also could be some struck on a silver proof
planchet--find something like that and you can retire early ;-)
If you want a real challenge try collecting those MS67 and higher--they just
don't exsist.
Kennedy halves are about the only coin you can get rolls from the bank where
you can still find some pretty old coins that are still BU--on top of still
being able to find silver content in a coin. You could look for years at
rolls of quarters and never find a single silver coin but with Kennedy
halves you will find some pretty easily. They mostly just sit for decades in
bank vaults unused for daily commerce. The problem is many that are still BU
have massive amounts of roll friction showing on his cheek just from being
handled about over time. They tend to really grind away on each other just
from sitting in a tight roll.