Why the new eBay feedback system stinks: a real life story

Old July 19th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Why the new eBay feedback system stinks: a real life story

Nick Knight wrote:
In , on 07/18/2008
at 11:53 AM, tony cooper said:

Who has said that registered mail parcels need to be insured?

They are insured by default, to a point, I believe. I think you have
to pay more for additional insurance, but I don't know the
particulars.

What, do you really think it's impossible for the post office to
lose/damage a parcel simply because it's registered? I wonder if
there are statistics somewhere. But you know it's happened, right?

Nick

The forms I have had to fill out for registeration have a choice to check:
1) with postal insurance, and 2) without postal insurance. Checking (1)
requires me to fill in the value.

James

Old July 19th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 18, 9:59*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on 07/18/2008
* *at 11:53 AM, tony cooper said:

Who has said that registered mail parcels need to be insured?

They are insured by default, to a point, I believe. *I think you have to pay
more for additional insurance, but I don't know the particulars.

What, do you really think it's impossible for the post office to lose/damage
a parcel simply because it's registered? *I wonder if there are statistics
somewhere. *But you know it's happened, right?

Registered mail for an $1100 coin is overkill, akin to cracking open a
peanut with a sledgehammer.
Insured Priority Mail with sig required and delivery confirmation will
get the job done more quickly and less expensively.
You bozos go on like the USPS loses every package you ever sent.
Old July 19th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

Nick Knight wrote:

I don't typically see

...nothing but
crude and derrogitory comments about almost anyone.

Me? I love to find stupid comments and point them out.

Too easy.
Altogether too easy.

But it was fun.

Yup.

:-)

--
Jeff R.
Old July 19th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:13:05 GMT, in wrote:

So how are things at dewey square now that the dig's over?

Wow. Someone who still knows the area as Dewey Square, rather than
as South Station. I no longer work at 245 Summer St (formerly the Stone
and Webster building), so I don't get over there nearly as much as I
used to.

As you might expect, there's been constant construction in the area,
including rerouting several roads. South Station itself is in the
process of being surrounded by skyscrapers, including a new 40-story
complex over the bus terminal.

Last time I was by there, the meters on Dot. Ave were gone, but there's
limited time free parking near the Post Office. The Greenway is nicer
than I feared it would be, but the post 9/11 changes to the Federal
Reserve Building are as unattractive as you might expect.

i know where the blood and balls was in the west end. i remember when "blue
sands, see sue" was a phrase every boston cabbie had answered. speaking of
church green, that stupid facade is an atrocious slap in the face to natives
and historians alike.
dewey extends from the bridge to a street line that the dig erased.
we knew your old building as stoned and watsed's office and knew they once
owned interurban lines.....big ones.
so i bet you can't go to the fed loading dock to pick up bags any more? as
late as 97, i would get half dollar bags to searcg for silver.
i haven't ridden the silver line yet, but i will befor i die.
i miss my house in jp on that hill with the million dollar view. o always knew
the weather from the lights...
geez, i'm not even 100 yet.....
is the pen store still on bromfield, a few doors fromm jj teaparty? there's an
old school, honest coin dealership. ed leventhal is a mensh.
Old July 19th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Jul 18, 6:17*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
The reality guy was in my killfile long ago, but has
emerged somehow and so far hasn't annoyed me,

I mostly want to talk about coins. If you KFed me then so be it. I
just call BS when I see it, and I don't apologise for that.

BTW when is the last time Ira educated this NG with his breadth of
knowledge outside of his hawked coins? Rarely, IMO.

I'll ask a question I often ask someone else ... do you even COLLECT coins?

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to chime in. *I haven't rolled
like this in a long time! *But it was fun.

Nick

Ira doesn't collect coins anymore. It's well documented on our old
friend Google. He's only into estate planning. Apparently at the
expense of the people who he can sell overpriced coins to at the rate
of around Greysheet Ask + 10% or more for coins that can be acquired
for far less if you have knowledge of coins and some patience.
Old July 19th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

Bob Rudd wrote:
Priority Mail insured, still dropped outside of your
house, can result in multiple reports besides a single "simple" trip
to the PO. You may need to file a police report and other things.

I get insured mail all the time and always have to sign for it. My postdude
would not ever dream of leaving an insured package without having someone
that he knows lives at my house sign for it. You better have a word with
your local postman if he is leaving insured packages on your doorstep
without anyone signing.

Old July 19th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

John Mazor wrote:

Some of these problems would be eliminated if sellers would:

1. Include a "ships no later than" date with the listing. If you

Not a bad idea. eBay already provides a "handling time" section on auctions
but it is my experience that people tend to not notice it. I think I am
going to experiment with this one.

Old July 19th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

scottishmoney wrote:
"LRC-Tom" wrote in message

For buyers, the new feedback system allows inaccurate and unfair
accusations. For sellers, the system allows no opportunity to
present "the other side of the coin." This stinks. Don't you agree?

...Tom

The old feedback system was flawed, so to make it better some idiot
decided that they would give only buyers the option of leaving
negatives. Now everything is one sided, and frankly I won't sell on
eBay anymore. My last sale on there was in late May, and I will not
punish myself further. If more people would take this stand, and
find other venues to sell their goods, eBay will either correct the
problem or whither away.

I have had no problems with the new feedback. My only neutral was left
before the new system was in place. I had already left a positive for the
buyer so in effect, new system or old system, it made no difference.

What, precisely, has you so soured on it? Are there any examples you would
like to share?

Old July 19th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

Bones wrote:
No system of feedback is perfect. Surprise!

What you have given us is _your_ side of the story. It does read as if
you were slighted, when presented from _your_ perspective. But, you
are asking us to vindicate you based upon hearing only what you have
to say. How is that different from your complaint? A strong error in
logic here.

The problem here is that everyone thinks that "neutral" is bad. Why?

Uhhh, gee, maybe because it lowers your feedback percentage? One neutral
means no 100%. So I would say a neutral is bad. This really isn't that
difficult.

Old July 19th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

Bones wrote:

What does a seller have to do to be rated highly? How about upgrading
shipping without asking for it. Providing special help in answering
questions. Providing support for a purchased item (does not
necessarily apply for coins, but it does for electronic equipment).

And then go completely unnoticed anyway ...