How low can you get(ebay auctions)

Old July 12th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

Default How low can you get(ebay auctions)

In , on 07/12/2008
at 04:35 PM, "Rob Dilfer" said:

it would wear small

?dings and most scratches right out of the metal. Something you don't want
?to do to collectable coins.

The term "collectable coins" is a vague wash job. The undesirability of
polished and whizzed coins is a state-of-mind perpetuated by "experts"
telling Joe Collector, "hey, cleaned is bad....cleaned is worthless"

Wow. You missed the whole part where I explained that hairlines don't
necessarily bother me. But then, with basic common sense and clear logic
provided for your reading, all you see is "vague wash job". I'll chock it
up to convenience and "go figure".

Being logical and clear thinking is a state of mind, BTW. Try it.

Collectors need to rise above what they are told by grading companies and
get beyond, "Well Daddy told me they were bad, so they are. Daddy told me
there is a God, so there is one." People need to get out of "sheep mode"
and start thinking for themselves instead of just "believing" what they are
told.

Told by folks like you? That a high mirror finish, damn the mint-provided
details, is "good"? No thanks ... even this grading company non-fan thinks
they're standing on more solid ground that you. Daddy used to have me help
with cleaning coins. But then I matured as a collector and gained much
experience, realizing, for myself and by myself mind you, that given a
hairlined coin and an original surface coin of the same year, variety and
grade, the original is more desirable.

You can try to argue with that, but to argue against common sense ... well,
go ahead.

Why not just polish the Morgan until the devices are smoothed to
non-existent? If shiney is good, a flat, mirror finish should be even
better, eh?

Nick
Old July 12th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Jeff R." wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

"1787" wrote in message
m...

snip

Whizzers use a high speed drill (Dremel-type or even dental) and a burr
removing bit/tool like a wire brush or fine stone or composite wheel to
"rough-up" the coins surface that through manipulation or moving of tiny
amounts of the coin's metal produce a sheen that indeed makes it look

Uh oh.

Don't panic.
I ain't gunna bite.

I wouldn't exactly call it panic. Just a slight bit of trepidation at what
might come.

People know what they know, and if they're not going to accept the truth
when it stares them in the face, then there's little profit in trying to
help.

Hey! Taking sensible positions and showing a modicum of retraint is
generally frowned upon in these parts. Don't make me plonk you, mister.

Old July 13th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim[_7_]

WHIZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Well, they would look nice on a Western belt buckle (if you go for that
sort of attire) but that is about it. Wear 'em or melt 'em!

Jim McGarigle
Polymath Numismatics
ANA, ANS, ACCG

My Ebay Store
http://stores.ebay.com/Polymath-Numi...s-and-Etcetera

My Myspace Page
http://www.myspace.com/numismatistguy

My eBay 'ME' Page
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/polymath_numismatics

My Coin Blog (New)
http://awcoingeek.blogspot.com/

don't look wrote:
One is bad,two is criminal. Geez!!

http://tinyurl.com/6csdad

http://tinyurl.com/655f8b

Old July 13th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim[_7_]

"Whizzed"

Think about that whizzzz noise a rotary tool makes like a Dremel tool.
Some people use Dremels to polish up modern coins as a way to prey on
the unexperienced collector. Dremels can have a legitimate use as a
cleaning tool for (very carefully) removing encrusted dirt off of
ancient coins covered with hard, encrusted dirt that has been on a coin
for 1000+ yrs but to use one on a modern coin to make it pretty actually
harms it.

Bottom line is you gotta be either dishonest or nuts to whiz a modern coin.

Jim McGarigle
Polymath Numismatics
ANA, ANS, ACCG

My Ebay Store
http://stores.ebay.com/Polymath-Numi...s-and-Etcetera

My Myspace Page
http://www.myspace.com/numismatistguy

My eBay 'ME' Page
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/polymath_numismatics

My Coin Blog (New)
http://awcoingeek.blogspot.com/

Captain Infinity wrote:
Once Upon A Time,
Bland Allison wrote:

"don't look" don't exclaimed in news:qyAdk.217330
:

One is bad,two is criminal. Geez!!

http://tinyurl.com/6csdad

http://tinyurl.com/655f8b

Gotta save those pictures for when someone asks me "what does a whizzed
coin look like?"

What does a "whizzed coin" mean? What am I looking at in those pics?

Thanks.

**
Captain Infinity

Old July 13th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

"Jeff R." wrote in message

People know what they know, and if they're not going to accept the truth
when it stares them in the face, then there's little profit in trying to
help.

Hey! Taking sensible positions and showing a modicum of retraint is
generally frowned upon in these parts. Don't make me plonk you, mister.

Hunnhh!
Join the queue.

:-)

--
Jeff R.

Old July 13th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bland Allison[_2_]

"Honus" exclaimed in
:

"1787" wrote in message
m...

snip

Whizzers use a high speed drill (Dremel-type or even dental) and a
burr removing bit/tool like a wire brush or fine stone or composite
wheel to "rough-up" the coins surface that through manipulation or
moving of tiny amounts of the coin's metal produce a sheen that
indeed makes it look

Uh oh.

Well, he is right, and I have adjusted my overly broad concept of whizzing.

--
BA

"Qui hic mixerit aut cacarit, habeat deos superos et inferos iratos."
Old July 13th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Bland Allison" wrote in message
"Honus" exclaimed in
: