What's A Good Metal Detector To Find Silver Coins?

Old March 26th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default What's A Good Metal Detector To Find Silver Coins?

I have already wasted money on 2 cheap metal
detectors and find too much trash (actually had
better luck with a friends model I borrowed, he
got it from Walmart). I live in north NY state, I
know many areas where I can find alot of silver
if I can only stop digging up 99% trash!

Some of my found "treasures" are shown on
http://www.sirseek.com/findings/

Summer is on the way and I need a good metal detector!

QUESTIONS:

1.) What's the best metal detecter for finding
silver metals? Please let me know what a good
metal detector (valued less than $1,000) that is
good for finding silver quarters, half dollars,
dollars or even jewlery.

2.) Is there a metal detector that will only detect
gold (I know this is probably the dumbest question
ever, but I am serious)? Or at least is there a
reliable model that will almost weed out all metals
except gold?

Please answer these 2 simple questions for me if you can...

-----------------------T-A-G-----------------------
Image & Sign Generator Fun
www.CustomSignGenerator.com

Old March 26th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Summer is on the way and I need a good metal detector!

Try posting on the alt.treasure.hunting group:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...lnk=srgg&hl=en

Old March 26th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Oh, thanks, that's even a better place!

I was thinking that I was doing it for coin collecting purposes, my
instinct was to search for coin collecting as I was sure many coin
collectors get some coins this way. I was hoping for opinions expressed
by avid coin collectors...

I wil copy this message over to that group, thanks a bunch!

Old March 26th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
2.) Is there a metal detector that will only detect
gold (I know this is probably the dumbest question
ever, but I am serious)? Or at least is there a
reliable model that will almost weed out all metals
except gold?

Metal detectors work by a coil generating a magnetic field that is
intercepted by every metal object. As an induced current flows in the
detected object it creates a counter field that affects the current flowing
in the coil. The process is desceribed he
http://www.ukdetectornet.co.uk/andy1.htm

There are many detectorist clubs and societies full of knowledgeable people
who can expand on this.

Copper, silver, gold and aluminum all have approximately the same electrical
conductivity and will return a stronger signal than less conductive metals
such as iron.

I don't know of any detector that will only find gold. I doubt that the laws
of physics would permit any such thing.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old March 27th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

White's

Old March 27th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Sign Generator" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, thanks, that's even a better place!

I was thinking that I was doing it for coin collecting purposes, my
instinct was to search for coin collecting as I was sure many coin
collectors get some coins this way. I was hoping for opinions expressed
by avid coin collectors...

I wil copy this message over to that group, thanks a bunch!

There's an active metal detecting forum on Coin Universe also. Here's the
link.

http://forums.collectors.com/categor...=28&zb=6619047

John

INSERTS @ 80% OFF US - MIN $5 ORDER - PART 2 George Cronn Hockey 1 January 5th 10 04:26 PM
For Sale - Dogger Hockey 0 February 16th 04 07:31 PM
FS - This stuff needs to go Dogger Hockey 0 February 6th 04 08:49 PM
FS - Dogger Hockey 0 January 25th 04 10:43 PM
HUGE LIST PART II! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 December 28th 03 02:49 PM