Looking for bank silver

Old March 16th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Looking for bank silver

"bri" wrote in message
link.net...

"Lowell Kempton" wrote in message
I have read on this thread that several people enjoy going to their
banks and buying coinage, pulling out 40% silver clads and other tid
bits. I have never done this but I thought I might give it a shot and
see what I could come up with.
I am aware of the Kennedy half dollars 1965 through 1969, but is there
any other post 64' denomination/years I should be on the look-out for if
only looking for silver?

Thanks in advance.

Look for errors--there are several of note. Like there's 'no FG' (missing
designer initials on the reverse) for '72D, '82, '83 and '90. There's a
doubled die reverse '74D that's fairly popular. '73 has a DDR. Then you

can
also find things like Kennedys with missing clad layers--those are quite a
find right there. Any dated after 2001 were never released into

circulation
so you would want to keep any of those- if they're still BU- since they

all
have low mintages for a modern coin. Some years have very large die cracks
on the obverse. There also could be some struck on a silver proof
planchet--find something like that and you can retire early ;-)
If you want a real challenge try collecting those MS67 and higher--they

just
don't exsist.
Kennedy halves are about the only coin you can get rolls from the bank

where
you can still find some pretty old coins that are still BU--on top of

still
being able to find silver content in a coin. You could look for years at
rolls of quarters and never find a single silver coin but with Kennedy
halves you will find some pretty easily. They mostly just sit for decades

in
bank vaults unused for daily commerce. The problem is many that are still

BU
have massive amounts of roll friction showing on his cheek just from being
handled about over time. They tend to really grind away on each other just
from sitting in a tight roll.

Just wanted to add--the only way you could get any 1987 was out of a mint
set--just like the 1970--so that's a pretty low minted coin also.

Old March 18th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks Bri.
I've printed your page and I'll take it with me next Fri. when I pick up
more change for the weekend..... I think I did see a 2002 Kennedy when I
went through the batch I picked up yesterday. It kinda stuck out because
it was like a door slamming shut at 2001, nothing after except for that
one.

Very helpful post .. Thank You

Old March 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

oly wrote:

I would suggest using your time to recycle aluminum (and other scrap
metal if you have potential sources) and using the proceeds to buy
silver. The exercise in doing that would be more beneficial for your
health than sitting on your butt looking through halves. If it weren't
for the demands of my job (time & travel) I might get into that
sideline myself!

Not to be more of a wet blanket than ususal, but (1) it costs gas money
to make those trips to the bank, and (2) unless you're a good customer
(large deposits or borrowings), they're perhaps happy to sell you the
coin, but they're not gonna be happy when you bring 98+% back for
redeposit.

I would be interested to know how many half dollars one would have to
look through to pull out 11 halves dated 1970. How many proofs ("S")
vs. normal quality ("D")?

Why do I feel that a lot of people need to spend two or three dollars
and obtain a used Red Book two or three years old?

oly

You're gonna have this oly, as the silver spot rate rises, so either
grow accustomed to it or vow to ignore the coming influx of
silver-related questions. ;-)

On another note, my frend, an assistant attorney general in DC called to
tell me that the soda machine in his workplace kept rejecting his
quarter today...yep. 1963!!

I've not had a silver quarter in circulation reach me since the Gemini
program. ;-)

Alan
'silver is a lunar metal'
Old March 26th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Alan Williams wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

I've had some good luck, I seem to get a silver dime (Roosevelt) in
change about once a year. No silver quarters though.

I don't mind the silver questions as much as I feel that looking
through rolls and bags from banks isn't gonna be real productive; and
it tends to label "coin collectors" in general as pests. If you need a
sideline to have extra cash for coin collecting, scrap metal is a good
one. I took in the household aluminum cans yesterday (I believe that
since a lot of bauxite is imported that it's important to recycle
aluminum) and got 62 cents a pound! That's up about 30% from earlier
this winter!

oly