1oz Silver Eagle - 1996 - Key Date ?

Old February 8th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ps56k

Default 1oz Silver Eagle - 1996 - Key Date ?

I've been buying some 1oz American Silver Eagles for my son,
going back to his birthdate in 1990 -

It appears that the 1996 Silver Eagle has some special significance ??
as the APMEX website lists the description as - "Key Date"

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Old February 9th 13, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"ps56k" wrote in message ...

I've been buying some 1oz American Silver Eagles for my son,
going back to his birthdate in 1990 -

It appears that the 1996 Silver Eagle has some special significance ??
as the APMEX website lists the description as - "Key Date"
-------

A little bit lower mintage for the 1996. The relative price difference
used to be greater, but as the value of silver has risen over the past few
years, the other dates have increased in value faster than the premium on
the 1996. If silver ever reaches $40 again, the premium for the 1996 may
have disappeared and bullion value will rule.

Old February 9th 13, 11:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , "bremick"
wrote:

"ps56k" wrote in message ...

I've been buying some 1oz American Silver Eagles for my son,
going back to his birthdate in 1990 -

It appears that the 1996 Silver Eagle has some special significance ??
as the APMEX website lists the description as - "Key Date"
-------

A little bit lower mintage for the 1996. The relative price difference
used to be greater, but as the value of silver has risen over the past few
years, the other dates have increased in value faster than the premium on
the 1996. If silver ever reaches $40 again, the premium for the 1996 may
have disappeared and bullion value will rule.

The issue is condition as well as mintage. For some reason, many 1996's
were "struck ugly" and looked like circulated/damaged pieces right out
of the original tubes. I'd wager that 1996's have been thrown into
deeler's melt buckets at a higher rate than most other dates.

If you're in the market for a 1996 iggle, LOOK AT IT CLOSELY before
buying it. A picky buyer may profit handsomely over the "it's a 1996,
so I'll take it" buyer in the long run ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old February 11th 13, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ps56k

is there anything about the text desc highlighting -
"The key date! " -

http://www.apmex.com/Product/1066/19...cul ated.aspx

Old February 11th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"ps56k" wrote in message ...

is there anything about the text desc highlighting -
"The key date! " -

http://www.apmex.com/Product/1066/19...cul ated.aspx

Is there "anything about the text"? Well, we already told you it was the BU
Eagle date with the lowest mintage in that bullion series, but not that much
lower to make it worth a lot more than the rest of the dates. If there's a
"key date" in the run of BU Eagles, I guess that would be it.

You might check around to see if 90 bucks each is the current going price.
I believe you'll find that it's not. At least one major dealer is offering
the date at about $65.

But, like Ken said, if quality is important to you, you might look for an
example graded MS69 or higher, professionally-graded and slabbed (assuming
you want just one), and that should buy you one with a better strike. One
of those probably will command more of a premium.

Old February 11th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ps56k

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
In article , "bremick"
wrote:

"ps56k" wrote in message ...

[...]

looked it up in the Coin Prices magazine -

1996 - 3,603,386 MS-65 $62

Old February 11th 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Monday, February 11, 2013 11:34:39 AM UTC-6, ps56k wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote in message ... In article , "bremick" wrote: "ps56k" wrote in message ... I've been buying some 1oz American Silver Eagles for my son, going back to his birthdate in 1990 - It appears that the 1996 Silver Eagle has some special significance ?? as the APMEX website lists the description as - "Key Date" ------- A little bit lower mintage for the 1996. The relative price difference used to be greater, but as the value of silver has risen over the past few years, the other dates have increased in value faster than the premium on the 1996. If silver ever reaches $40 again, the premium for the 1996 may have disappeared and bullion value will rule. The issue is condition as well as mintage. For some reason, many 1996's were "struck ugly" and looked like circulated/damaged pieces right out of the original tubes. I'd wager that 1996's have been thrown into deeler's melt buckets at a higher rate than most other dates. If you're in the market for a 1996 iggle, LOOK AT IT CLOSELY before buying it. A picky buyer may profit handsomely over the "it's a 1996, so I'll take it" buyer in the long run ... -- looked it up in the Coin Prices magazine - 1996 - 3,603,386 MS-65 $62

The people who publish Coin Prices don't sell coins. They sell coin newspapers, and high prices help to sell printed papers.

A major coin buyer says they pay $50 (compared to $33 for commons), so I suppose you will have to pay 10% or 15% north of $50 to get an example of 1996.

I don't remember if it's the 1994 or 1996, but in one of those years, a lot of the Unc. examples have a kind of "milky" surface. Those won't bring full boat retail, so don't pay full boat retail if the coin isn't brilliant.

oly