Non US Periodicals about Coins

Old February 8th 04, 04:52 AM
Jorg Lueke

Default Non US Periodicals about Coins

Here we've got Coins, Coinage, CoinWorld, Numismatic News, The
Numismatist, and World Coin news. There's also several newsletters and
club publications but those don't target people outside of the membership.

What about Canada, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere? Are there magazines
about coins and collecting in the stores? Are they common? Do you read
them? What else do you read?
Old February 8th 04, 12:41 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Jorg Lueke wrote:

Here we've got Coins, Coinage, CoinWorld, Numismatic News, The
Numismatist, and World Coin news. There's also several newsletters and
club publications but those don't target people outside of the membership.

What about Canada, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere? Are there magazines
about coins and collecting in the stores? Are they common? Do you read
them? What else do you read?

Well, I subscribe to MünzenRevue, a magazine issued by Gietl, a German
publishing house. This same company also makes M&P (Münzen & Papiergeld)
which covers both coins and paper money. Then there is the Austrian
"moneytrend" magazine (great website, too). All these are monthly
publications, or rather 11 times a year - there is just one issue for
July and August.

Another magazine (bi-monthly) is Deutsches Münzenmagazin. But their
target audience is a somewhat different one. Flashier, less "historic
stuff", no coin market price tables like in the other three, but less
expensive and easier to read ;-)

Then there are mint magazines like "prägefrisch.de" (free), and dealers
newsletters. Some clubs also have their own (small scale) magazines, but
since I am not a member of the DNG or any club, I'm not familiar with
those.

Christian
Old February 8th 04, 01:27 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Jorg Lueke wrote:

Here we've got Coins, Coinage, CoinWorld, Numismatic News, The
Numismatist, and World Coin news. There's also several newsletters and
club publications but those don't target people outside of the

membership.

What about Canada, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere? Are there

magazines
about coins and collecting in the stores? Are they common? Do you read
them? What else do you read?

Well, I subscribe to MünzenRevue, a magazine issued by Gietl, a German
publishing house. This same company also makes M&P (Münzen & Papiergeld)
which covers both coins and paper money. Then there is the Austrian
"moneytrend" magazine (great website, too). All these are monthly
publications, or rather 11 times a year - there is just one issue for
July and August.
Christian

I usually get a couple of copies of moneytrend each year. Interesting
magazine.
It usually has a few articles though it seems to be more of a price guide
than anything else.

Dale

Old February 8th 04, 03:06 PM
note.boy

I live in the UK and subscribe to "Coin News" magazine, it's described
as, "Britain's Biggest Selling Coin Magazine", not difficult as it's the
only one, I think. I don't know the circulation figure would I would
imagine it's in the low thousands.

http://www.tokenpublishing.com/

I also subscribe to Spink's Numismatic Circular, which is a sales list
with articles, and their banknote auction list.

I visit the web sites of note dealers fairly often.

I'm also a member of the Scottish Chapter of the IBNS and a lot of
information not available elsewhere is exchanged at the quarterly
meetings. Billy

Old February 8th 04, 10:13 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:41:30 +0100, Christian Feldhaus
wrote:

Jorg Lueke wrote:

[...]

I should try to find some of these the next time I make the trip. Are
these generally subscription only or can you find them at newsstands as
well?

Old February 8th 04, 10:17 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:06:49 +0000, note.boy
wrote:

I live in the UK and subscribe to "Coin News" magazine, it's described
as, "Britain's Biggest Selling Coin Magazine", not difficult as it's the
only one, I think. I don't know the circulation figure would I would
imagine it's in the low thousands.

http://www.tokenpublishing.com/

They probably won't send that free trial copy over here.
Old February 10th 04, 02:49 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Jorg Lueke wrote:

I should try to find some of these the next time I make the trip. Are
these generally subscription only or can you find them at newsstands
as well?

At "selected" newsstands, yes :-) Usually the ones in major train
stations (Hauptbahnhof) have all kinds of special interest magazines,
including the four coin mags that I mentioned. These are their web
sites, by the way:

"Münzen & Papiergeld" http://www.gietl-verlag.de/MP/index.html
"MünzenRevue" http://www.gietl-verlag.de/MR/index.html
"money trend" http://www.moneytrend-online.com/
"Deutsches Münzenmagazin" http://www.muenzenmagazin.de/

The magazines or brochures published by some mints/distributors are
mailed (free of charge) to registered customers but can also be
retrieved/viewed online:

"Muntpers" in PDF format (by the Royal Dutch Mint - in Dutch)
http://tinylink.com/?4B85c0fNql
-or-
http://nl.knm.nl/domains/default/pag...=1172000000004
5_2_10000000001651&contentcode=Introductie%20Muntp ers%202&navid=11650000
000060_11650000000038

"prägefrisch.de" (by the Federal Securities Administration - in German)
http://www.bwpv.de/sammlermuenzen.php3?mid=28&iid=203

"MuntInfo/MonnaieInfo" (by the Royal Belgian Mint - in Dutch or French)
http://treasury.fgov.be/intermunt/En/Publicat.htm

Christian
Old February 10th 04, 11:45 PM
Colin Kynoch

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:52:11 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

Here we've got Coins, Coinage, CoinWorld, Numismatic News, The
Numismatist, and World Coin news. There's also several newsletters and
club publications but those don't target people outside of the membership.

What about Canada, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere? Are there magazines
about coins and collecting in the stores? Are they common? Do you read
them? What else do you read?

Australia has Coin & Banknote Magazine.

It has a wide range of articles that covers all areas of coin, token
banknote and medal collecting, both Australian, World and ancient.

A very well put together magazine.

I read an purchase as much about my areas of interest as I can get my
maulers on.

Oh and rcc as well

Colin Kynoch
Old February 10th 04, 11:49 PM
Colin Kynoch

Billy, does coin world cover Celtic coins at all, and if so do they do
so regulalry enough to warrant subscribing?

Or am I better off subscribing to Chris Rudd's List?

I have recently decided that I would like to start collecting some
ancient coins and having looked around a fair bit and reading a few
books on ancient coins I have come to the conclusion that Celtic
Ancients have by far the most character and interest of all the
various ancients on offer.

snip

Colin Kynoch