barefoot 411...biggest surprise of the year.

Old December 17th 04, 06:08 AM
Barefootmk

Default barefoot 411...biggest surprise of the year.

tonight was the MEET THE FOCKERS premiere at the universal amplitheater...
great place...usually...and considering that we already knew that deniro wasn't
showing up and that streisand wasn't going to sign...so we weren't too worried
and many of the collector's didn't even come...but we went anyway...
horrible, horrible night...this night is the reason that we try not to tell
people about events...especially with what transpired...
streisand snuck in and out BARELY doing press...just like expected..deniro
didn't come (also expected) but as all the other people in the movie came by,
NOT ONE MEMBER OF THE CAST SIGNED...saying things like sorry i'm late (which
many of them were). but here was the thing...some of the security guards told a
few of us later on that the lead security man (the guy who runs the company)
came across the website www.seeing-stars.com. and he's not going to let the
celebs sign anymore because too many people are coming. and honestly- it's the
fans that screw it up. they scream stupidly, they star fights and arguments
with the regular collector's (yes, we- the ones who sell the autographs- we act
normal and don't freak out or act stupidly in from of the celebs) and it's
getting ridiculous- and this lead security guard also told us earlier in the
week it's going to get worse...
and i hate to say it, but it is the FANS who are ruining it...as stupid as this
sounds and i'm not one to say,"don't come out." cause usually the fans are the
best way for me to get more stuff signed...but lately these fans are coming
out..with more and more paper and crappy pictures made with their computer on
computer paper...and screwing it up...yelling at security guards when told to
stand in certain spots...yelling at photographers for what's basically them
doing their job...and yes starting arguments with the collectos/sellers because
"i'm a fan!!" of every tom dick and harry that walks the red carpet
apparently..then asking me and the other collectors/sellers who that person was
that they jsut got on 4 index cards...and starting fights...classic was the
other night at the travolta premiere where it actually got so out of hand a
"fan" who comes to every event and gets a ton of CRAP signed, and lies to
celebrities saying,"can you make it to my friend MIKE" which just so happens to
be his name too (funny huh) alomst got in to a fistfight with a
collector/seller because while debra unger was signing, he needed his crappy
piece of paper signed in his pen (nice how there's rules that the "fans" need,
but the collectors are happy with whatever we get)and then walked away and
didn't take his pen back, then got ****y when he saw his lame, non working
marker on the ground...and it got in to pushing and shoving...and the security
didn't want to break it up, because they figure if it all implodes, less people
will come...
my advice...sure, come on out...get your stuff signed and have fun...but
respect the people that know what they are doing, and bring something decent to
get signed, and don't get ****ed if you get pushed a little (or a lot, if you
don't want to get pushed, don't come...and don't expect not to get pushed
around a little) these events bring thousands of people to big events and about
2-300 for event the smallest ones...grow up and expect it...or don't come...
but come out and try to enjoy yourselves...sure, we sell the autographs- but
hey, at least we have manners and know where to stand and how to
approach...don't be stupid...
anyway, sorry for the rant...but i'm ****ed that i get told that the FANS are
screwing it up for everyone...
but here's the deal...the only people who signed at the premiere was ALANA
UBACH (because there was no security) and LANCE ARMSTRONG...i know i've been
critical of him right here...but he signed some paper for a few people...no
items mand ya, but it's the first time i've seen the guy sign where there was
nothing in it for him...unbelievable...
LAST NIGHT...there was a premiere for FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX. it was in westwood
and it was very low key...not a lot of people there...but there was still some
major pushing and shoving..."FANS" need to learn how to act...seriously...but
all who attended signed, except giovanni ribisi- who shys away from crowds and
usually doesn't even promote his movies...but dennis quaid was very
accomodating...even though his autograph was complete garbage and some "FAN"
felt the need to tell him that he needs to learn how to write his name...RON
PERLMAN of hellboy fame (as well as a ton of other stuff) was very
nice...kindly obliging to everyone who wanted one...no one commmented on his
autograph...miranda otto didn't come (As per usual, she's a big star from lord
of the rings.) but it was mildly susscessful.
MONDAY night was the big LOVE SONG FOR BOBBY LONG premiere...also in westwood
and also on seeing stars...another event where security was holding court real
tough because of the "FANS" and this was the night where the lead security
people were telling us of the unusual number of fans that are suddenly starting
to appear and ruining it...TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT SECURITY USED TO BE SO GOOD
THAT THEY BROUGHT CELEBS OVER TO FANS AND COLLECTORS, AND OUR REPOIRE WITH
SECURITY USED TO BE SO GOOD THAT THEY USED TO ASK US IF WE NEEDED THEM. and all
that has changed because too many fisty and overzealous "FANS" are showing
up...and let's just say this as well...there was a sidenote on the press sheet
asking photographers for any suspicious fans or photogs as there was a death
threat announced for mr travolta...GREAT HUH....and this made security extra
tight...this was also the night of the pseudo fight...but anyway...SCARLETT
JOHANSSEN SIGNED NOTHING and didn't even acknowledge fans...nor did anyone else
on the way in to the premiere....and everyone in the movie left during the
movie...tried and true JOHN TRAVOLTA came over on his way out and signed about
15 autographs (apparently he knew about the threat because his wife didn't
accompany him and he was very difficult at the after party as well) and john
also got to see the aftermath of the almost fight as the same people were
pushing and shoving RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. so he didn't do a lot...and some
people didn't get him as a result...and he's usually one of the nicest people
you'll see...
so that's it from this week...if you noticed my headline, "biggest surprise of
the year." that was the lance armstrong thing...as i got him myself, and like i
said, i've never seen him sign when he doesn't make some money off of the
signature...and he's been quoted as saying that he hates autograph collector's,
so go figure from that guy...
and like i said. ...come out to the events and have a good time seeing
celebrities if that's your wish...but don't come out with an attitude that
you're better than everyone else...cause trust me, we (the collectors/sellers)
are the ones who have paved the way for anyone to get anything...if we didn't
argue with security for the last few years, we'd all be standing WAYYYYY across
the street, so much so that no one would even see the celebrities...and by all
means, act your age, and don't be so stupid...cackling screams for actors and
lame ass whistling is not a great way to get ben stiller to sign your piece of
paper...and i've also noticed lately that celebrities really only want to sign
photos...so go buy some photos...don't print them on your computer with
computer paper, it shows and looks horrible...and if you aren't selling the
autograph (i know this is a sore subject) get your autograph and move out of
the way...because (like i said before) the people who make it possible for you
to see anything, need to get theirs too...there are collectors that keep
autographs as well...
oh yeah, none of this crap sells on ebay anymore, so stop trying to tell
celebrities that all we are going to do is sell it on ebay..so that you can get
your one...no one who gets signatures really sells anything good on ebay
anymore anyway...trust me, i've tried...people would rather pay $9 for a fake
harrison ford that pay me $69 for a real one...and don't show up thinking
you're going to make money on ebay with your garbage photos...and PEOPLE ARE
GOING TO PUSH YOU...IT'S JUST A FACT OF GETTING AUTOGRAPHS...YOU CRAM 400
PEOPLE INTO A SPACE THAT HOLDS 100, IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN...leave the little
ladders and your backpacks at home...bring your cameras, your photos and your
strong will to get something that you'll treasure...and some strong legs and a
strong back, it's going to be several hours too...
other than that, come on out...have a good time...and enjoy the
holidays...sorry about the rant...but when security tells me that it's the
"FANS" screwing it up for everyone...someone's got to speak out...because it's
not too long before all the premieres are on studio lots and you see nothing if
it keeps up the way it was described to me tonight.

Old December 17th 04, 07:08 AM
Mr Black

Im almost speechless at the stupidity and bias you show this post.

IT IS THE FANS THAT MAKES THESE PEOPLE STARS SO YOU CAN MAKE YOUR LIVING
!!!!

MrB.

Old December 17th 04, 02:36 PM
dahoov2

Personally, I doubt the homemade photos on the computer make them NOT
want to sign. It's less likely those would be sold than a
professional looking 8x10 and the celebs know that. It's the fighting
that causes it and the trying to get many multiples. As for pushing,
it must be sad for the celeb to see himself/herself being the cause of
that. All for ink on a photo. In those situations, I'd probably not
get a photo.

Best thing for the collectors who regularly go out to these event to
do is tell the newbies (and lead by example). that first come first
serve and wait your turn. I have gone to a couple things and like
with the Alan Lee signing, someone CUT in front of us (actually
several people). We had a very long drive back late at night in the
rain and these people pretty much all lived within blocks from the
place. I told them our situation and found out that they were indeed
from the area (and were not collectors the four I am speaking of just
happened to come by and saw and didn't really know who he was per se).
The result of what happened was two of the girls left and went back
into line and the other two did not and cut in front anyway. At which
time my husband nearly lost it (and he's the most placid man on the
planet). He said to them how rude they were and if they didn't know
it, how the people told us to line up.... and though they didn't
leave, it's my hope that being told this and my husband being subdued
by myself, may make them think at least next time. You never know,
but you can influence people sometimes by not pushing or fighting.
However, sometimes they get this look on their faces and I would
REALLY like to let one fly.

One last thing; at some of the events, I see some collectors excited
and telling the newbies; one's who never got anything signed before,
all the secrets and tricks. Might be time to keep all that a little
more secret for the close knit collectors who know how to behave.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old December 17th 04, 02:39 PM
dahoov2

PS I agree...leave those backpacks at home etc. Why do people
continually walk about with these now? I saw a special on how other
people view americans and one person from a foreign country said that
"americans walk around dressed down, are usually fat and wear
backpacks and fanny packs everywhere". Now that's a nice vision for
you huh?

Old December 24th 04, 07:09 AM
Ksmithfan72

It just seems that there's too many people trying to do too much with too
little space and all those people crammed together kind of makes it for heated
people...But yeah, I've seen some of these events, and there are many fans who
use the "I'm a fan!" line to get an autograph, then ask who they got in the
first place...I think if you ACTUALLY READ THE ORIGINAL POST,you'd see that
silly barefoot just asked people to come, act a little courteous to the people
who know what they are doing, and get people you want, don't just get an
autograph because everyone else is...I think if you come knowing what you're
doing, then it's cool. because I read barefoot's post several times (come on
barefoot, quit contradicting yourself so much, and think about what you're
saying before just spilling please!!!!) but if you actually sit back and read
the post, he's acutally inviting fans to come to the events, just act with some
decorum and realize that even though they are sellers, they know how to
act...Period.
And one more thing I agree with barefoot about (don't care about the
controversy) computer printed photos suck!!!! And yes, they look crappy to the
celebrity and do look as though you don't really care, but just stole an image
off the internet. In these days where you can get an 8 x 10 done at costco for
$2, you can get a very nice photo signed, and if you really cared about getting
a celebrity's autograph, you should care about what you're getting signed. A
computer printed photo is CRAP. 'nuff said.
thanks for the post barefoot, i'm sure you were just frustrated. And everyone,
get off his back and re read the post...don't pick it apart, actually read it,
because there are some very good tips in there. It is a little misguided
though.
Happy Holidays folks.

Old December 24th 04, 07:19 AM
Barefootmk

did anyone get that i said that LANCE ARMSTRONG SIGNED AUTOGRAPHS FOR FREE? it
wasn't like he threw down jerseys or anything like that...but he actually
signed...which i've went on record to rip that guy right here because he's such
a jerk.

Old December 24th 04, 03:59 PM
dahoov2

People who aren't collectors usually don't know how to get a real 8x10
so if I were a celeb, I'd think "They were stuck, didn't have anything
to sign but wanted to come out because it means something to them".
For an 8x10 I'd think "This person has done this before; fan maybe but
dealer maybe" Not knowing, I would sign if they had one or two, but
if many, I'd know or assume it was a dealer. It is like you are
saying,,,,, you are poor or uneducated or a jerk because your photos
suck, so the celeb shouldn't sign for you. What are you assuming of a
person who prints their own photos? My opinion is "at least they
tried". I don't imagine a NICE celeb saying, "your photo is ****, get
outta here". I guess they may, but for me, I'd leave and make a
comment about it that is just as nice as theirs.

The other day, a Star Wars concept artist who chose not to sign for my
friend, I decided to send an email to. I said in my email that my
friend had written and that I assured him I'd not sell his autograph
and would send something I will make in photoshop with his name on it
and a small image of something related to his work; I told him that no
one would probably buy such and image probably and also he could
dedicate it.... he said he'd like to sign what I made and go ahead and
send it. Now I don't know if for a fact that that made a difference,
but I think maybe it did. I've been told in the past they didn't want
to sign because they didn't want to see their items on the net being
sold. Fiona Phillips sent me a long letter telling me about walking
through a street fair and seing her photo for sale and being agast.
She did sign, but asked me to spread the word about it and that if
someone wanted a photo, then they should pay her and not a street
vendor. She would at least be the one making the funds for her
likeness and would donat to charity. She only asked for $1 I think
(maybe it was $2 at the time). Can't remember it was a while back.
So for some, it makes a difference.

Also, are you saying if my collection is mostly computer printed
photos my collection sucks? Most of my LOTR, Pirates of the Carribean
and Harry Potter images are 5x7's made on Cardstock which are DVD
captures of the film. I put them in a binder and going through them
is really neat because they are all standard size, all images from my
favorite scenes that person did, and it's sort of telling the story of
the film. For me, it's much better than having a 3x5 signed or a
trading card or an 8x10 headshot or some other 8x10 that does not
depict that scene or movie. I guess to each his own! Lastly, the
quality of the printed photos is NOT crap unless you have crappy
printers, crappy photoshop skills and use an ill quality capture/jpg
or whatever. The neatness and continuity make the album nicer and
easier to look through rather than say my artists binder which is an
array of comic books, index cards, promo items and such. Anyway,
that's just my opinion so for those who make their own images either
for reasons like mine or just simply because it's easier and cheaper
(not always either), more power to ya! Rock on.

Old December 25th 04, 03:10 PM
Corey

I agree with some of the stuff barefoot said, but definitely not with the
computer print outs... to some extent. As dahoov said, they can still look
neat, and may even hold more meaning than a purchased picture. For
example...

I made nice looking pictures/logos of a few bands and printed them on glossy
paper from the computer. They looked nice, but not super-professional.
Anyway, I think EVERY TIME I had these signed, the guys commented on them
and said they were cool. In fact now that I think of it, two that I made
were on posterboard, not glossies, and looked considerably worse than the
glossy one's I made (I must've been out of photo paper...), but the bands
loved them and thought it was awesome that I took the time to make them. I
think it showed more thought and meaningfulness than a purchased picture,
even tho less professional.

As for Lance Armstrong, he was on a show called "Overhaul" and the host
(playing a fake cop) asked for an autograph for his father. Anyway, Lance
was an ass about it, and gave the eBay excuse as well. Finally he signed
it, but claimed "if he didn't get his car back, he wanted the signed jersey
back." He seemed extremely full of himself...

Old December 25th 04, 09:26 PM
Corey

towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens.
The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables;
green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t
be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead
Large bunch of mustard greens
2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery
Vegetable oil (or hog fat)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot.
Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed).
Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water
when it starts to stick.
Stir frequently.
When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea.
Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue;
you can at least get rid of all th