Stylus Magazine - my first issue review

Old October 1st 03, 06:15 AM
Len Provisor

Default Stylus Magazine - my first issue review

I have just received my first issue of Stylus magazine and I think it is
well produced and nicely balanced with articles on modern and vintage pens,
several pen company histories and fascinating articles. It is a hefty 114
pages of great reading, and this is what we can expect in all future
bi-monthly issues.
The photography is entirely their own, with the exception of some images
that were provided by some advertisers and featured articles, which were
created by Bill Riepl. Stylus has their own professional photographers and
writers producing Stylus as well as their sister publication International
Wrist Watch, recognized as the best watch magazine produced today with about
50,000 copies distributed world wide. Stylus will also have an initial
distribution to over 35,000 IWW subscribers.
This premiere issue of Stylus features an in-depth history of Montegrappa by
pen veteran Nancy Olson accompanied by stunning photography of some of their
trademark sterling silver pens such as the soon to be produced White Night
and Journey on the River Rhine. Nancy also writes on the history of
Montblanc and interviews Wolff Heinsrichsdorff, Exec Vice President of
Montblanc International.

Managing Editor Jon Messer who is a 20+ year veteran in pen collecting, was
pretty busy writing about the history of Caran d'Ache,and the 2003
Washington, DC Pen Show. Jon is also writing a history of our favorite
sponsor Fountain Pen Hospital - Part I starting with their inception in 1946
and telling us of cutomers such as Betty Grable, Ernest Hemmingway,
President Franklin Roosevelt and Count Basie.
Jon also profiles Bexley pens interviewing President Howard Levy.
A short history of an American icon A.T. Cross and interviews with President
and CEO David Whalen by staff writer Megan Livolsi. Megan also writes about
David Oscarson featuring their new pens with barrels of cut crystal, a
quantum leap in originality and luxury design. Megan also writes a short
history of Alfred Dunhill and features Dunhill men's accessories.
The Art of Maki-e by our friend David Ushkow, presents a short history of
Maki-e pen with beautiful photos of Namiki classics.

John Loring, a collector of Presidential pens writes a detailed history and
illustrates many of the pens used by President Kennedy.
There are more articles featuring an interview with best selling author and
American storyteller Tom Robbins, his 1981 _Another Roadside Attraction_
built his reputation as the master of metaphor and a writer of screwball
prophetic tales.
There is more on William Henry knives, Signum's Palladio d'Oro, the pen
creations of Grayson Tighe and a taste of Krone's stunning double page ad of
purple eyes. You just have to see this one.

Future issues of Stylus will present more stories and articles well balanced
with modern and vintage, articles on pen repairs, pen shows and related
events. Being closely related to the collectible wrist watch audience we may
see ads and articles on related subjects, but I have been assured that the
ad in question was an obvious mistake and such images will not appear again.

I personally think Stylus has a well balanced content, written by seasoned
collectors and writers who have a keen insight as to reader's expectations
in a new publication. Stylus has long term plans and volumes of scheduled
material yet to present. I can see that Stylus is not just a showcase
journal of boring new pen ads and gratuitous rhetoric, rather a presentation
of a wide spectrum of topics to appeal to varied interests among pen
collectors, both modern and vintage with a hint of crossover to other
popular issues such as knives and watches.

Subscriptions can be placed at a toll free number 800.935.6171

Subscription Rates: (U.S. funds only)

USA & Canada:
1 year (6 issues) = $ 36.00
2 years (12 issues) $ 69.00

All other countries:
1 yr (6 issues) = $69.00
2 years (12 issues) = $ 138.00

Old October 3rd 03, 06:57 AM
Len Provisor

Any web site, will it be sold in the bookstores or newsstands.
thank you

The Stylus web site
www.stylusmag.com is being prepared and should be
up soon. I undertsand that Stylus magazine will be sold at all Barnes
& Noble, Walden, B. Dalton, Borders, and other bookstores in the U.S.
and at United Cigar stores in Canada. As a matter of fact, the first
three issues ( Oct/Nov Dec/Jan Feb/Mar ) will have a free copy of the
IWW )International Wrist Watch ) magazine shrink wrapped with it.