Uruguay ~ stamp missing.

Old June 17th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Uruguay ~ stamp missing.

A postcard from Uruguay 1902
From Mercedes to Bremen.
I just noticed a stamp missing, any guess as to what would have been its
value?
http://cjoint.com/data/grqewFiujT.htm

Interesting note:

Printed by Waterlow and Sons, address........."London Wall" London.

Emperor Trajan in front of "London Wall"
http://cjoint.com/data/grqg0hy88Z.htm

Old June 17th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Rodney,

Look at the lower left of the imprint. I believe it is 20 centisimos.

Jerry B

Old June 17th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

OOPS, typo

Centesimos. It is hard to read under the cancel. I do not think it
is Milesimos.

Jerry B
Old June 17th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Jerry.

The pre-printed stamp is indeed 2 centésimos but I think what Rodney is
after is the missing stamp below it. One can see the square corner in the
cancellation over the missing stamp. The missing stamp would be the rate
at the time from Uruguay to Germany less 2 cents.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old June 17th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

"jerry" wrote in message

OOPS, typo

Centesimos. *It is hard to read under the cancel. *I do not think it
is Milesimos.

Jerry B

By 1902, both Uruguay and Germany were UPU members.

Further, the Uruguay peso was on the Gold standard and
kept a steady value until after WWI. There were about 4.7
pesos per pound sterling, putting the peso on a par with
the US / Canadian $.

Using US / Canadian UPU rates of 1902 as a guide, one
might surmise that the UPU postcard rate in 1902 was
2 Centesimos (2c US / Canadian).

I have seen the 2c rate on other Uruguay postcards of
the period.

I believe that Canadian postcards in 1902 were 1c for
domestic and British Empire destinations and 2c for
other countries.

PC - Canada to France 2c
http://www.cdncovers.com/790france08.jpg

So far, so good. But, what about the other stamp?

Well at one time there was a word limit on postcards.
(5 words rings a bell.) If you went over the limit, then
you paid the full letter rate. I believe the UPU letter
rate at the time was 25 centimes (5c US / Canadian,
2.5 d sterling) which would be 5 Centesimos total
in Uruguay. If so, 3c would have been added.

Since the values at the time seem to have been
1/2c , 1c, 2, 5c, 7c, 10c etc... , I'm not aware of
a 3c value, but a 1c and 2c could have been
overlapped, if needed.

In another scenario, here is a Western Australian
PC to Mauritius (1902) at a rate of 2d (4 centesimos).

http://www.philatelicdatabase.com/wp...tius-front.jpg

If this were the UPU rate in 1902, then the amount
to be added would be 2centisimos paid by one 2c stamp.

Blair
Old June 17th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Wow! impressive Blair, philately at work
I shall assume 5c then.
http://cjoint.com/data/gsaarxIvb7.htm
When applying "make up" stamps you use the closest on hand.

"Blair"

Old June 19th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:23:12 -0700, Blair wrote:
Well at one time there was a word limit on postcards. (5 words rings a
bell.) If you went over the limit, then you paid the full letter rate.
I believe the UPU letter rate at the time was 25 centimes (5c US /
Canadian, 2.5 d sterling) which would be 5 Centesimos total in Uruguay.
If so, 3c would have been added.

There is a fascinating bit of history about word limits -- not in
philately, but in telegraphy. Because per-word costs were prevalent,
some businesses distributed extensive codices to their offices.
Telegraph messages of just a few words could be sent communicating
complex ideas or business states if the maintainers of the codex had
thought of the situation beforehand.

In one story (discussed in Tom Standage's "The Victorian Internet" --
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/3915769...=brief_results -- if I
remember correctly) the telegraph operator made a single-character
mistake, changing one word to another word, causing a business
(investment?) error of several thousand (?) dollars. The business
brought the telegraph company (AT&T?) to court for damages, and after a
trial it was decided they were entitled to compensation, but only the
cost of the erroneous message itself, or something like ten cents.

If someone has a better memory or better reference library, feel free to
expand on the details.

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth

Uruguay ID. Rod General Discussion 6 May 19th 07 12:32 PM
FA. GB Error Stamp - Jane Eyre 12p - Missing P from value in block of 4 - on eBay johndin Marketplace 0 October 16th 04 12:24 PM
FA. GB and BC on eBay inluding GB missing colour, IOM missing phosphor klokken Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 01:16 PM
FA. GB and BC on eBay inluding GB missing colour, IOM missing phosphor klokken Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 01:16 PM