Spain query.

Old June 17th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Spain query.

The control numbers on the reverse.
Is it uncommon to have them in red ink?
Thanks.

Old June 17th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod.

A quick glance at my Scott tells me that there is an Alfonso XIII issue of
1917 where the control number is listed as red or orange. Then there is the
same stamp issued in 1918 with the control number in blue. I believe that
other control numbers are in black. Don't take this to the bank, wait for
others to respond.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old June 17th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Tony,
I have put a hold on my flight ticket to Travancore.

for the record
http://cjoint.com/data/grcFgyotur.htm

I have it as 1909 and orange looks OK

"tranvias" ? by tram

Old June 17th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hello again.

If Gibbons shows the red/orange numbers in 1909, then I am confused; I must
be missing something. As per my Scott, the Alfonso XIII was originally
issued in 1909 with blue control numbers on the back. The only time (again,
according to Scott) it was issued with red or orange numbers was in 1917.

Yes, Rodney, tranvía is the correct way to refer to the "tram" both in
Spain and in Latin America. You brought back a memory of youth: long ago I
got into the bad habit of referring to "travels by tram" as "viajes en tram"
and I drove the then-Cultural Attaché at the local Argentine Embassy so nuts
that at times he used to totally lose it and scream at me from one room to
another: tranvía, tranvía, Toni, sometimes you speak Spanish like a carioca
!!!! That was some 30 odd years ago.

Incidentally, am I the only old geezer around here who goes through his
albums and is sent down memory lane by some particular stamp here and there?
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old June 17th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Alas, I am the dizzy one.
The issue originated in 1909
now I see the cancellation it confirms 1919
My trigger finger was itchy, I'll have to lay off the multi vitamins.

"Tony Vella"

Old June 17th 09, 10:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Tony,

On Jun 16, 9:14*pm, "Tony Vella" wrote:

Incidentally, am I the only old geezer around here who goes through his
albums and is sent down memory lane by some particular stamp here and there?

No you are not the only one. My wife is Colombian and I have been to
Colombia a few times. We look at the collection and remember the
places we have seen there.

I don't think my reason for collecting Colombia can be topped. I
started with a set that depicted my wife's house in Tunja, Boyaca (El
Mono de La Pila, Scott C247). The set was designed by one of her
distant relatives. In addition, some of her relatives are depicted on
Colombian stamps. Since her family was in the arts, concert pianists,
she has met some of the artists and dignitaries depicted on the
stamps.

By the way how do you keep French and Spanish separate. I try
learning Spanish but confuse it with French, I come from Maine so we
learn French because of Quebec. My sister-in-law says I speak Spanish
like a poor Frenchman.

Jerry B
Old June 17th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Tony Vella"
Incidentally, am I the only old geezer around here who goes through his
albums and is sent down memory lane by some particular stamp here and
there?

Hmmm, that's not exactly the kick I get out of stamps,
I go down the "wonder" path, I find it hard to explain,
but its sort of a voyeurs peek into peoples past lives
and to me it brings it front and centre.

I have always found it absolutely amazing that William Dampier was
christened probably what, 7 miles from where I was born.
Take this cover for example
http://cjoint.com/data/grpqmRwBPw.htm
pretty ordinary on the face of it, but I found it in a phossick box
and was delighted that it was from Dorset, my neighbouring county.
As it turns out Beaminster is but approx 18kms from where I was born,
it is Thomas Hardy country, "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" was written from
Beaminster.

When I investigated "R S Hine" (pronounced Hinn) it turns out he came from a
very
notable family.
He was a Pharmacist, and a photographer who took amazing photos of my
country
and my county.
The family were notable for their progeny and the most well known of the
family
of naval smugglers was Thomas Hine who went to France, during the Revolution
was imprisoned and
when free married into a French family of Cognac producers, and eventually
ended up
head of the business. (Hine Cognac)
His son was the first British extract to be a mayor of a French town

R S Hine the addressee on that card, has his wanderings and photos now
available on DVD Rom,
his original writings and manuscripts are available on the internet for
purchase at GBP140

The elder Hine has "the paper of 2009" on the national archives register,
for a circular Family Tree
that maps 5 generations of Hines
http://cjoint.com/data/grpDNqWd7j.htm

To see that tree up close is nothing short of amazing, there must be 300
people
listed on his tree.

Finally a picture taken by the addressee R S Hine of Beaminster,
these are my country folk and I find it just absolutely fascinating,
a simple postcard can have you on such a journey.
http://cjoint.com/data/grpQtYnG3W.htm

also took picture

Old June 18th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Hello Rodney,
The stamp you show was issued from 1909 to 1922. The 15c stamp in this
series has two versions: one is in violet color with control number in blue
ink on back, the other version is in yellow color with control number in
orange ink on back (which is the one you have). With the same design
appeared others in 1920 with values of 2c and 20c (no control number). I
hope this helps.

best regards,
Pedro

Old June 18th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, it helps.
thanks a lot Pedro.
Cheers from Perth.

Spain query. Rod General Discussion 3 March 30th 07 01:10 AM
Spain Query. Rod General Discussion 9 November 22nd 06 12:21 AM
TERRORIST TURKS! "Turk Captured in Spain, Imprisoned in Spain"! King Seanie, Ruler of the Griks Coins 0 January 17th 06 02:01 AM
Spain Query Rodney General Discussion 21 October 27th 03 03:18 PM
Spain Query Rodney General Discussion 3 September 24th 03 10:56 PM