eBay Scenario

Old May 30th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Default eBay Scenario

A buyer bids on a coin (or other eBay auction) that has a reserve price.
The eBay shipping calculator indicates a shipping charge of $17.77 to the
buyer's location.

The auction ends and the high bidder is $15 away from the reserve price.

The seller sends a second chance offer to the bidder in the amount of the
bidder's highest bid.

The bidder accepts and asks for an invoice total.

The seller sends an invoice for the second chance offer amount, $59.41 S&H +
an additional $15.00. The seller explains that the $15.00 is to make up the
difference between the buyer's highest bid and the reserve price.

Your comments, please.

Old May 30th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message
A buyer bids on a coin (or other eBay auction) that has a reserve price.
The eBay shipping calculator indicates a shipping charge of $17.77 to the
buyer's location.

The auction ends and the high bidder is $15 away from the reserve price.

The seller sends a second chance offer to the bidder in the amount of the
bidder's highest bid.

The bidder accepts and asks for an invoice total.

The seller sends an invoice for the second chance offer amount, $59.41 S&H
+ an additional $15.00. The seller explains that the $15.00 is to make up
the difference between the buyer's highest bid and the reserve price.

Your comments, please.

Bait and switch.

James

Old May 30th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Starman

the additional 15 $ is not allowed by eBay, thats excessive shipping and
handling or surcharges
and i would right away make an dispute if a seller did that to me, i would even
consider giving negative feedback

Old May 30th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dsybok

The buyer should pay the second chance offer price plus the indicated
shipping charge, and not a cent more. The $15 is cheating. Someone needs to
explain to that seller how second chance offers work.

Old May 30th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Thanks for all the replies. I am, of course, the buyer. I asked the seller
why the jump in price and he claims that the calculator was an estimate and
only took the weight into consideration and not the package size. The
seller has offered to reduce the invoice by $15.00.

Ugh. The auction is for a 24" wide-screen computer monitor and I am getting
a decent price even with the inflated shipping. I just don't like how this
has played out.

Old May 30th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On May 30, 3:57�pm, "PC" wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. �I am, of course, the buyer. �I asked the seller
why the jump in price and he claims that the calculator was an estimate and
only took the weight into consideration and not the package size. �The
seller has offered to reduce the invoice by $15.00.

Ugh. �The auction is for a 24" wide-screen computer monitor and I am getting
a decent price even with the inflated shipping. �I just don't like how this
has played out.

I don't understand the part about the $15 being the difference between
your high bid (accepted as a second chance offer) and the reserve
price.

In the auction text he claims a reserve price $65 higher than the
eventual "buy it now" price.

Old May 30th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
On May 30, 3:57?pm, "PC" wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. ?I am, of course, the buyer. ?I asked the
seller
why the jump in price and he claims that the calculator was an estimate
and
only took the weight into consideration and not the package size. ?The
seller has offered to reduce the invoice by $15.00.

Ugh. ?The auction is for a 24" wide-screen computer monitor and I am
getting
a decent price even with the inflated shipping. ?I just don't like how
this
has played out.

I don't understand the part about the $15 being the difference between
your high bid (accepted as a second chance offer) and the reserve
price.

In the auction text he claims a reserve price $65 higher than the
eventual "buy it now" price.

He lowered the reserve from $400 to $350 before the auction ended.

Old May 30th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"PC" wrote in message
. ..

He lowered the reserve from $400 to $350 before the auction ended.

BTW, I was going to withhold revealing the auction but since someone has
already sleuthed it out here it is for all to view and judge:

I don't want to force someone to sell me something that will cause them to
lose money but I am not at all comfortable with how this sale developed. I
will give him the benefit of the slim doubt and let him walk away from the
sale without any fuss.

Besides, I really had my eye on the 2407-HC version and only became
interested in this one because of the awesome price I thought I was getting.

Old May 30th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message

"PC" wrote in message
. ..

He lowered the reserve from $400 to $350 before the auction ended.

BTW, I was going to withhold revealing the auction but since someone has
already sleuthed it out here it is for all to view and judge:

I don't want to force someone to sell me something that will cause them to
lose money but I am not at all comfortable with how this sale developed.
I will give him the benefit of the slim doubt and let him walk away from
the sale without any fuss.

Besides, I really had my eye on the 2407-HC version and only became
interested in this one because of the awesome price I thought I was
getting.

The shipping calculator shows $17 to my address.

James

Old May 31st 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Fri, 30 May 2008 14:57:18 -0500, "PC" wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I am, of course, the buyer. I asked the seller
why the jump in price and he claims that the calculator was an estimate and
only took the weight into consideration and not the package size. The
seller has offered to reduce the invoice by $15.00.

That's certainly possible, though he should have entered the correct
dimensions when listing the item. Package dimensions is an option when
listing. Anyway, if it was a good deal, I might pay. But I would
certainly want to see proof of shipping charge or ask for the
dimensions so that I could go to UPSs website and calculate it.