Won't he "go in the hole?"

Old April 27th 05, 01:35 PM
Larry Louks

Default Won't he "go in the hole?"

I'm not sure why one would even bother with selling this coin on eBay. If
the buyer uses PayPal to settle up, it looks to me like the seller will rue
having let this one go like this --

http://tinyurl.com/8ljyv

Larry
'we don't all think alike'

Old April 29th 05, 02:08 PM
Jonathan_ATC

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
news:1114605330.fe1e5263c269fccb9eb9251ebee8865f@t eranews...
I'm not sure why one would even bother with selling this coin on eBay. If
the buyer uses PayPal to settle up, it looks to me like the seller will

rue
having let this one go like this --

http://tinyurl.com/8ljyv

Larry
'we don't all think alike'

Some people are as hooked on selling on eBay as other people are on buying
on eBay.
Volume, Volume, Volume! This guy claims to "catalog 500+ coins a month" in
one of his feedback rebuttals. He has sold 10000+ items in the past 12
months. He must make about $0.50 per item. People want to buy low priced
stuff, he offers that stuff. A glance at his feedback shows that a great
percentage of his buyers have less than 10 feedback.
He must think it is worthwhile. I know I like to make AT LEAST $5.00 on
items I sell, hopefully more. But I did sell some coffee mugs a couple of
years ago that, although I only made $2.00 on each of them, I sold over 100.
Not bad for a hobby.
--
Jonathan

Old April 29th 05, 05:22 PM
Bob Flaminio

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
I'm not sure why one would even bother with selling this coin on
eBay. If the buyer uses PayPal to settle up, it looks to me like the
seller will rue having let this one go like this --

http://tinyurl.com/8ljyv

Some people are as hooked on selling on eBay as other people are on
buying on eBay.
Volume, Volume, Volume! This guy claims to "catalog 500+ coins a
month" in one of his feedback rebuttals. He has sold 10000+ items
in the past 12 months. He must make about $0.50 per item.

Exactly. Say he averages 50c profit per item. He didn't do so well with
that Buffalo nickel, but he'll make it back on a different coin. 10,000
items at 50c each is five grand -- not so bad.

I have a friend who runs a coin/pawn shop. Sometimes I hang out with
him. Hours can go by without a customer coming in the door. Like many
coin dealers, he's got stacks of raw junk in the back room. I've
suggested to him more than once that when there are no customers in the
store, he should spend the time listing stuff on eBay rather than just
reading the paper. It would add some cash to his coffer and clear out
his back room. No dice. (FWIW, he does pretty good business anyway, so
it's not like he's hurting for money.)

I've also sold stuff on occasion where I knew I would lose money to the
fees. In my mind, it's a form of recycling -- I have something that I do
not want, but surely it is wanted by someone else in the world. Rather
than just throwing it away, I eBay it. It costs me a little, but it's
better for the environment and society. I don't know if well worn
Buffalo nickels fall into that category -- I think in that case I would
just spend them.

--
Bob