Print On Demand

Old January 23rd 05, 03:37 AM
Fred Froogle

"Al Smith" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is the correct broup to post this, but how would

you go
about getting a book reprinted. I have several rare antique books that

some
of my friends would like copies of. I would need about 100-500 copies

of
each.

You've got more friends than I do.

Would I have to scan/OCR them, photocopy, or take digital
pictures of
the pages?

If they are, as you say rare antique books, you will probably want
a photographic facsimile of each page, complete with worm holes,
water stains and fly specks. On the other hand, if you merely wish
to reproduce the text in a nice, new binding, scanning and optical
character recognition would be the way to go.

Is there a POD company that does large folio sized books?

Don't know.

Is
there any copyright issues to deal with if you take an ebook of a book

that
is in the public domain and get a couple hundred printed, or do you have

get a printed copy and do the work yourself?

No copyright issues. It doesn't matter how much work some other
person has put into scanning an e-book -- if that book is in the
public domain, that person has no control over the use of the
text, and you can take the e-book and do whatever you want with
the text it contains.

You may not be able to merely redistribute the e-book itself, if
the formatting used is extensive and unique. The look of a book
can be copyrighted, along with any additional materials such as an
index, introduction, added illustrations, and so on. The text
itself is as much yours as it is the guy's who lifted it from
somebody else's efforts.

Great, just what I wanted to know. There are ebooks, but no hardcover
copies of some of the books I want to get printed. The folio volumes will
probably have to be done photographically for better effect (ornate headings
and text formatting)

Old January 30th 05, 07:45 AM

John Pelan wrote:

I do find it hard to believe that any book
worth doing 100 copies of isn't worth doing 300-500, and once you hit
that number, conventional printing is going to be more

cost-effective.

POD remains the easy answer for people whose entire concept of
marketing is putting up a website and hoping that customers stumble
across it.

Well, it is worth pointing out that Chaosium had a number of its early
Cthulhu Cycle Books printed by Lightning Source, which is a major POD
printing service started by Ingram, a major book distributor. I can
only verify that five of the first nine books were printed using
Lightning Source, but most likely the other four were as well. I do
not dispute the truth of your last statement, but apparently Chaosium
is an example of the kind of professional publishing firm that would
use POD services.

Kevin L. O'Brien