From the scanner...

Old May 29th 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default From the scanner...

Nothing special, merely images passing through the scanner,
just a tad curious.

Jordan~ The Temple of Diana, cancelled at the PO at the Tower of David.
http://cjoint.com/data/fDmuoZGpdr.htm

Finally, something of beauty from Melbourne, (other than the AFL)
http://cjoint.com/data/fDmwJl7i8v.htm

I wonder what the "C" and "E" represent, under the value tablets?

Have a nice weekend...............

Old May 29th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On May 29, 6:24*am, "rodney" wrote:
Nothing special, merely images passing through the scanner,
just a tad curious.

Jordan~ The Temple of Diana, cancelled at the PO at the Tower of David.http://cjoint.com/data/fDmuoZGpdr.htm

Finally, something of beauty from Melbourne, (other than the AFL)http://cjoint.com/data/fDmwJl7i8v.htm

I wonder what the "C" and "E" represent, under the value tablets?

Have a nice weekend...............

In the Old City of Jerusalem, the post office is a few steps from the
Jaffa Gate,
up past the Citadel of David and next to the gate of the Christ Church
Anglican Hospice.

Jerusalem - القدس الشريف : Omar Ibn Al-Khattab's Square inside Bab Al-
Khalil (Jaffa Gate)
and the Citadel enterance. The post office is on the left.
http://www.palestineremembered.com/G...alem-11935.jpg

The CE would be the engravers initials. (Possibly C. E. Doepler ?)

Blair

Read mo http://www.frommers.com/destinations...xzz0Guu5XzJ7&B
Old May 29th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair"
The CE would be the engravers initials. (Possibly C. E. Doepler ?)

Maybe we should ask Tony Antipodes to seek on Stampboards
also the 5 shilling stamp duty and "JL"
http://cjoint.com/data/fEabm5Ychj.htm

Read mo
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...xzz0Guu5XzJ7&B

Thanks, (great pic of the Post Office) although I like to do my travel by
stamps

Old May 30th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

"Blair"

Read mohttp://www.frommers.com/destinations...16.html#ixzz0G...

Thanks, (great pic of the Post Office) although I like to do my travel by
stamps

Could the JL and CE possibly be control letters,
such as the corner letters on the GB Queen Victoria
penny reds? If so, they could indicate plate
position of each stamp.

Blair
Old May 30th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I think not Blair,
on the first stamp the letters are too small
on the 5s too large
I think it must be the engraver's initials.

Then I thought perhaps a code for use
as these GB imprint revenues.
http://cjoint.com/data/fEflZjAT7G.htm
F,K,A, and MS

I have only just started to get a few revenues in my Phossick boxes
I know nothing about them.
They are very attractive stamps.
Rodney.

"Blair"

Old May 30th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Gibbons says the 1d of this set was engraved by C. Jackson and J.
Lang; the 5/- was engraved by Jackson and 'other employees of Sands &
MacDougall' - maybe the source of the 'L'. Jackson and Lang seem to
have worked on several of the fiscals. I can see a 'JL' in the
illustrations of the 1/- and 2/- in Gibbons.

Doesn't explain the 'CE' - perhaps he was (or they were) another of
the anonymous Sands & MacDougall staff.

As for Stampboards, why not join up yourself? I won't give away your
guilty secret ... if you make it worth my while.

Tony of the Antipodes

"Blair"

Old May 30th 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

....not as long as my bottom points South.

Thanks for the great info Tony, it had not occurred to me
to look into Gibbons, re interchangeable etc.
10 points off for me, my memory chip needs upgrading.

BTW these Vic stamps are beautiful, and a very pretty price too.
it seems however "condition" is not that important.

"Asia-translation"

Old May 30th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan[_2_]

CE is possible Charles Evans, mentioned by Robson Lowe
as one of the engravers for this series. But RL also
specifically states that the 1d brown was engraved by
Charles Naish. Confusing!

Jay Carrigan see web site for email address
www.jaypex.com

In article
,
says...

Gibbons says the 1d of this set was engraved by C. Jackson and J.
Lang; the 5/- was engraved by Jackson and 'other employees of Sands &
MacDougall' - maybe the source of the 'L'. Jackson and Lang seem to
have worked on several of the fiscals. I can see a 'JL' in the
illustrations of the 1/- and 2/- in Gibbons.

Doesn't explain the 'CE' - perhaps he was (or they were) another of
the anonymous Sands & MacDougall staff.

As for Stampboards, why not join up yourself? I won't give away your
guilty secret ... if you make it worth my while.

Tony of the Antipodes

"Blair"

new scanner bgg Coins 2 November 26th 05 10:52 PM
Scanner help! Brian Coins 4 September 18th 04 06:53 PM
Fun with the new scanner! Wes Chormicle Coins 0 July 11th 04 04:29 PM
New Scanner Wes Chormicle Coins 1 July 9th 04 09:26 PM
Someone needs a new scanner The Fausts Coins 0 July 2nd 03 06:45 PM