GB. a rare cancellation.

Old May 27th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

Default GB. a rare cancellation.

On May 27, 1:02*am, Joshua McGee wrote:

What is less well known is that Blair simply looked at the cJoint
image, and was able to deduce all the extra information he provided
about Arthur Conan Doyle's life through simple methods. *Elementary,
really.

--
Joshua H. McGee

The interesting part was that had Doyle's mother been
less affluent, he could very easily have become a
Jesuit priest and we might never have enjoyed
the tales of Holmes and Watson and Moriarity.

Blair
Old May 27th 09, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On May 27, 2:07*am, "rodney" wrote:

I never read "The hound of the Baskervilles"
anyone recommend it?

The story is very similar to the renowned "Fennec of the
Baskervilles."
http://www.trussel.com/detfic/sna-2001-baskerville.jpg

To quote from Victor's marvelous website...

This sheet, designed by the SNA Postmaster General Blair Stannard,
was dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Sherlock Holmes (who spent
seven years in exile in SNA - a fact known only by few). This was one
of the most successful SNA issues so far, one million sheets being
sold out in a month after its appearance.

Old May 27th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

That's scary,
maybe a relation to the Fennec Kangaroo
from USPS
http://cjoint.com/data/fBqOggktBT.htm

"Blair"

Old May 28th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On May 26, 11:07*pm, "rodney" wrote:
I never read "The hound of the Baskervilles"
anyone recommend it?

I used to adore the stories in my (even more) youth -- except until
the last collection, when horrific racism starts to bleed in, Holmes
is given credit for (secretly) saving the Allies, and so forth.
"Baskervilles" is pleasantly moody. The stories are, of course,
completely ridiculous; but such sublimely immersive ridiculousness is
rarely encountered. Also, having (what can only be described as) a
clinically bipolar hero puts Conan Doyle ahead of his time (Well,
Boswell's Johnson -- earlier! -- is a bipolar hero, but "Life" is not
supposed to be fiction....)

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA

Old May 28th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Well, you see, I am trapped in a time warp.
Having been initiated with Basil Rathbone as the smart arse detective,
every other attempt at reproduction fails miserably.
Basil's curling lip, condascending attitude and the dorky Watson, portayed
in moody black and white
was just the ant's pants.
I must have watched about 5 minutes of the 1993 TV series before disgust set
in.
When I read the book, I hope my imagination forms around Basil.

Old May 28th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair"
This sheet, designed by the SNA Postmaster General Blair Stannard,

Is "general" an adjective or a title?

Old May 28th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Blair wrote:
On May 27, 1:02 am, Joshua McGee wrote:

The interesting part was that had Doyle's mother been
less affluent, he could very easily have become a
Jesuit priest and we might never have enjoyed
the tales of Holmes and Watson and Moriarity.

Blair

Then we might have had a Father Holmes to compete with Father
Brown ...

Tony
Old May 28th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

rodney wrote:
Well, you see, I am trapped in a time warp.
Having been initiated with Basil Rathbone as the smart arse detective,
every other attempt at reproduction fails miserably.
Basil's curling lip, condascending attitude and the dorky Watson, portayed
in moody black and white
was just the ant's pants.
I must have watched about 5 minutes of the 1993 TV series before disgust set
in.
When I read the book, I hope my imagination forms around Basil.

Then you simply must track down 'The Original Illustrated 'STRAND'
Sherlock Holmes', Wordsworth Editions. It has the original
illustrations, for which Basil Rathbone might have sat.

Tony
Old May 28th 09, 11:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks Tony,
I'll see what our two libraries have on offer,
although good old fashioned books do not rate very highly.

Rathbone the quintessential actors face, I don't know what it was
but he had it in bucketloads.
How I despised him as Sir Guy of Gisbourne in Robbing Hood.
He was the flavour in the stew.

"Asia-translation"