Tape Player Problem

Old April 17th 05, 06:43 PM
ommadawn

Default Tape Player Problem

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having with my tape
player?
It's a JVC ED-1103 and has been in the closet for a while.
I dragged it out to play some new tapes I bought and it plays OK for the
first track, but then slows down. I used to be able to position the tape
'just right' in the past, but now nothing will help.
Do you think the belt is the problem? And are these available? Or is this a
junky player (motor) in the first place.
Thanks for any input...

Old April 18th 05, 06:18 AM
DeserTBoB

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:43:48 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having with my tape
player?
It's a JVC ED-1103 and has been in the closet for a while.
I dragged it out to play some new tapes I bought and it plays OK for the
first track, but then slows down. I used to be able to position the tape
'just right' in the past, but now nothing will help. snip

Stretched belt and needs lubrication and cleaning.

Do you think the belt is the problem? snip

Yes.

And are these available? snip

Yes. See the archives for a number of sources.

Or is this a
junky player (motor) in the first place.
Thanks for any input... snip

I don't think your motor's at fault, although I've found that the
permanently lubricated bearings aren't, and a
disassembly/cleaning/oiling will bring them to like-new condition,
something I used to routinely do to Betamaxes years back.

dB
Old April 25th 05, 10:09 PM
ommadawn

The belt seems to have worked, but a few of my carts still sound 'warbly.'
Can you tell me more about what needs to be lubricated and cleaned?

Tim

Old April 26th 05, 03:47 AM
trippingtoo8track

belt, or capacitor on the motor if an AC motor, or the motor itself, or
capstan needs to be resurfaced, or ???

Old April 26th 05, 11:34 PM
ommadawn

It worked fine for 2 songs, then EXTREME wow and flutter.
Threw some oil in the motor ('73 date), but it didn't work.
Now that's all there is; cannot listen to anything anymore, a real shame.

Old April 27th 05, 04:36 AM
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:34:05 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

It worked fine for 2 songs, then EXTREME wow and flutter.
Threw some oil in the motor ('73 date), but it didn't work.
Now that's all there is; cannot listen to anything anymore, a real shame. snip

Anything's repairable, given the parts and materials to fix them being
available. All's not lost. If you oiled the capstan shaft bearings,
it's possible you got some lube oil on the capstan shaft face, which
is bad news for that particular cartridge. Clean everything
thoroughly with 94% isopropyl alcohol and try another, hopefully
unmolested cartridge.

dB
Old April 27th 05, 06:01 PM
trippingtoo8track

slow down- you have to go through one step at a time

1. is the belt on right and somewhat tight ? or is it loose and
falling off ?

2. you have to rough up the capstan so it can grab the tape and move
it- I have an old RCA table top deck that needs capstan resurfacing at
least once a month, or it drags tapes

3. you may need a new motor

4. you may have an AC Motor, and have a capacitor in line with the
motor- if that cap goes bad, the motor will slow down after a few
minutes. I had a deck that both the cap AND the motor eventually
needed to be replace.

5. if you're over your head with this, or are not the hands-on
technical type- you have to send that to someone to get fixed- or sell
it/give it away/throw it away, and get a functioning deck. 8-track
decks have come way down in price on ebay, you can get a high end unit
in working condition, for under $75, and sometimes under $50

Old April 27th 05, 11:01 PM
ommadawn

Yes, I tried it again today, and it works fine for the first minute, then
slips into 'underwater mode'...
I see a small deck on Ebay for about $10, so I may try that.
I also have an old Sony deck that records as well; the front pulls out from
the unit, but I've never liked the way that unit plays tapes-the track
changing it so loud it hurts.
Funny, though-it didn't do this before I changed the belt! It played badly,
but I was able to chock the tape in and it was OK.

Old April 28th 05, 12:38 AM
trippingtoo8track

I may be interested in your JVC deck if you want to get rid of it.

Old April 28th 05, 04:55 AM
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:01:06 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Yes, I tried it again today, and it works fine for the first minute, then
slips into 'underwater mode'... snip

Replace the motor run capacitor...done.

dB