Newsgroup observation

Old June 9th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

Default Newsgroup observation

Good morning all (at least for me it's morning). I would like to say
how much I enjoy reading posts to this newsgroup. Many of the posts
are beyond my line of understanding as I see individuals here that can
go rather deep on various topics. I've only posted one other time
here because up to this point I feel I don't have anything to offer!
The thing that I really admire about this group is how individuals
treat each other and the humor that is injected into the posts. I've
observed over the past year that here people are respectful of each
other. I say this because recently I joined another newsgroup and
rather than seeing an exchange of ideas it was a "peeing
contest" (being nice here). Personal attacks were common and it
really made for a sad, yet comical, newsgroup. I unsubscribed within
the week. Maybe stamp collectors are a milder bunch by nature.

Now, I need to come up with something here so I'm not off-
topic...................got it............. the forever stamp. I just
purchased from ebay the four different varities of the Liberty bell
forever stamp. They were all booklet varieties. I thought there was
a pane issued as well. Any ideas??

Ron

Old June 9th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jun 9, 10:21 am, Ron wrote:
[...]

Hello Ron:

Welcome to RCSD. I'm not in the USA, but here's what I have:

Here are all (4) major varieties of the 2007 Forever stamps,
mint never-hinged, as follows:
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a3/fd/1aeb_1.JPG

These come in vending booklets of 20, also seen offered as
"sheets" of 20. The booklets are issued "double sided".
View of the two sides of the booklet of 20.
http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/98/87/ed00_1.JPG
or in ATM Booklets (panes of 18)

Scott #4125 - from convertible booklet, large "FOREVER"
microprinting, Liberty Bell 16mm wide (Avery-Dennison);

Scott #4126 - from convertible booklet, small "FOREVER"
microprinting, Liberty Bell 16mm wide (Ashton Potter);
Regular Booklet of 20 - Plate number P11111
(possibly Ashton Potter printing)
http://i21.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/98/a3/e2d3_1.JPG

Scott #4127 - from vending booklet, medium "FOREVER"
microprinting, Liberty Bell 15mm wide (Sennett);
http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2...ampx-large.jpg
Regular Booklet of 20 - Plate number S11111
(Possibly Sennett printing)
http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9c/03/c18d_1.JPG

Scott #4128 - from ATM booklet (Avery-Dennison).
The ATM Booklet comes with panes of 18 stamps.
The ATM Flat Booklet was issued in 2007. The
stamps are Self-Adhesive. In order for the stamps
to get through the ATM machine, they are issued
on paper backing (not cardboard), so the flat booklet
is thinner than regular cardboard-backed booklets.

ATM Booklet pane of 18 (Avery-Dennison)
http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9f/d5/28c0_1.JPG

ATM Booklet (Avery-Dennison)
http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/9f/48/5b35_1.JPG

I hope that this helps you.

Blair

Old June 9th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:21:51 -0000, Ron wrote:

Good morning all (at least for me it's morning). I would like to say
how much I enjoy reading posts to this newsgroup. Many of the posts
are beyond my line of understanding as I see individuals here that can
go rather deep on various topics. I've only posted one other time
here because up to this point I feel I don't have anything to offer!
The thing that I really admire about this group is how individuals
treat each other and the humor that is injected into the posts. I've
observed over the past year that here people are respectful of each
other. I say this because recently I joined another newsgroup and
rather than seeing an exchange of ideas it was a "peeing
contest" (being nice here). Personal attacks were common and it
really made for a sad, yet comical, newsgroup. I unsubscribed within
the week. Maybe stamp collectors are a milder bunch by nature.

We've had our smiley faces on for a while around here. There was a
time, however... never mind - let's get back to the good stuff.

Humor was needed badly and now we have a bunch of it. A lot of word
play, tongue in cheek stuff happening here also, so don't be put off
by some of our (ahem) interactions.

Now, I need to come up with something here so I'm not off-
topic...................got it............. the forever stamp. I just
purchased from ebay the four different varities of the Liberty bell
forever stamp. They were all booklet varieties. I thought there was
a pane issued as well. Any ideas??

None yet. Been out of the new U.S. loop for some time. Used up a lot
of postage instead of framing those durned S/S. Collecting used items
is far more tedious! (To me - rewarding)

Keep up the good work - someone will have an answer here soon enough.
Old June 9th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 9, 10:21?am, Ron wrote:
[...]

Ron, all in the newsgroup is not quite as rosy as you see it.
There is one rotten apple in the group who told me in the latter half
of the last century he would send some Netherlands stamps for my
collection. Well...I am still waiting. He says he wants my want list,
hrmph, I want his entire barrel of stamps.
He also chastizes me because I have AOL and dialup. I think he is
jealous and doesn't want to admit it. I think he is also envious of my
title of Postal Clerk #1, SNA Post Office.

Ralphael, the OLD one.

Old June 10th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good morning all (at least for me it's morning). I would like to say
Ron

Good mornin' Ron,
welcome to the newsgroup,
everyone can participate, and has something
to offer, because we all are at various stages
of our journey. no matter how banal, because
someone, (and there are lots of lurkers
will identify with your query / statement.

Participation makes for a healthy Newsgroup.
grit your teeth, and bring on the posts
Rod.

Old June 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

My Postmistress says, by her 'allowable order' sheet (EG what she can and
can't get) the "Forever" currently comes in Rolls and Booklets. A pane
-=IS=- expected but when is ???

Tracy,

Now that I think about it I should have referred to my stack of
Linn's. They always seem to be out in front when it comes to new
issues. I like to read those right before bedtime but since I got my
finger whacked I've fallen behind. I've got them stacked up since mid-
April. I bet if I look tonight the forever stamp will be discussed in
detail.

Thanks again to all that responded to my initial post about this
newsgroup. These responses just validates what I've thought all
along.

Regards,

Ron

Old June 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

On Jun 9, 8:30 pm, "Rod" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

ups.com...

Good morning all (at least for me it's morning). I would like to say
Ron

Good mornin' Ron,
welcome to the newsgroup,
everyone can participate, and has something
to offer, because we all are at various stages
of our journey. no matter how banal, because
someone, (and there are lots of lurkers
will identify with your query / statement.

Participation makes for a healthy Newsgroup.
grit your teeth, and bring on the posts
Rod.

Thanks Rod and I just might become more active as the days pass on. I
just have to come up with something worthwhile.........

Old June 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

Ron, all in the newsgroup is not quite as rosy as you see it.

Come on now Ralphael, don't make me have to take off my rose colored
glasses! I realize that not everyone sees eye-to-eye but it is *how*
the interactions take place that I am appreciative. In that other
newsgroup I spoke of one individual actually was threatening legal
action against others. Needless to say that really fueled the fire
for further attacks. It all just seemed so junior high to
me........and I know junior high.....I've been teaching them (13 yr.
olds) for 23 years!

title of Postal Clerk #1, SNA Post Office.

At the risk of sounding ignorant....I've not yet figured out what SNA
stands for............

Ron

Old June 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

Humor was needed badly and now we have a bunch of it. A lot of word
play, tongue in cheek stuff happening here also, so don't be put off
by some of our (ahem) interactions.

This type of interaction is what I enjoy seeing - tounge in cheek and
wry humor.

I do believe in the old saying "It's not what you say but how you say
it".

Old June 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

On Jun 9, 12:01 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:21 am, Ron wrote:

[...]

Blair- Hide quoted text -

Blair -

WOW! ask and ye shall receive! This was much more information than I
expected....but then again, this type of detail is what I've come to
witness here in this newsgroup. Thanks!

Ron