Error collectors

Old July 6th 03, 01:30 AM
mark

Default Error collectors

Paul Abair wrote:
I am curious do many error collectors use a microscope over just a loop? I
am told a 20 times stereo microscope
is a good choice, I would welcome opinions.

Thanks

A rule of thumb held by many is that if you can't see it with 5X-10X
magnification it's not worth worrying about. I use a Bausch and Lomb 10X
hastings triplet almost exclusively for checking out Morgan dollar
varieties.

HTH,
Mark

Old July 6th 03, 03:41 AM
GELEWIS

I high quality glass is very important tool in this hobby. I use mainly a 10x
but I also have a 20x Bauch and Lomb. They cost about $40 each.

Gary Lewis
Old July 6th 03, 05:09 PM
chuck

i use the end off of an old scope on my shotgun.i would say its between 30
and 40X.works great and its a nice fit in my hands

Old July 6th 03, 06:38 PM
Coin Saver

From: mark

Paul Abair wrote:
do many error collectors use a microscope over just a loop?

A rule of thumb held by many is that if you can't see it with 5X-10X

magnification it's not worth worrying about.

The problem with "rules of thumbs" is that there are exceptions. I personally
would want to use my microscope to double check, for example, the likes of a
1909 S Cent for it's VDB, a 1916 Dime for it's "D", and the 1942 Dimes for the
under-1, especially if the coin was well circulated.

I don't always see that well with a loupe, something hand-held, as in
comparison to something stable, such as a microscope. And on that note, the
microscope I use is an old one, bought at a Goodwill for $5.oo, from an old
chemestry set, I suppose. I angle in the light.

8-/
Coin Saver