"Frustrated collectors" or "Common coins that command high prices"

Old January 14th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default "Frustrated collectors" or "Common coins that command high prices"

Here is an interesting auction for a relatively common Austrian coin.

Well I say common as it was minted to a tune of 9.90 million which is by far
the
largest mintage of the entire series (1980-2001).

The 2003 SCWC list it at $3.50 in Uncirculated while my more recent Austrian
catalogue lists it at
5 Euros.

So why did it get 17 bids and sell for $31 in probably AU?
Because it doesn't come up for auction often, because it is an inexpensive
coin you just can't find,
because sellers normally don't make much on it, because it wasn't saved,
because you need it to finish a set......
I have one with a small rim bump at 12 O-Clock and I considered seriously
bidding on it
for an upgrade. but I didn't.

Different coins:
If anyone has an uncirculated or EF+ Austrian 1950 20 Groschen, mintage 1.62
million
catalogues in uncirculated for about $15.....put it up on ebay and if I have
any competition at all....
see how much I will bid for it :-) or the 1981 20-Schilling of the same
above design!

Dale
Collecting common stuff is tougher than you think!

Old January 14th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a small lot, ie about 8-9 early 20th century Austrians on another
auction site recently, very interesting. Even have the 1848-1908 1 Corona
commem. I have really gotten interested in the early 20th century Europe
stuff lately. It is all underpriced in my opin.

Old January 14th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

[...]

I have the (1908) 1& 5 Corona. They are nice looking coins and the 5-C is
quite large.
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/...18/FiveCor.jpg
These come up fairly often for auction. The 1900-1904 1-Corona coins,
though not rare do not come up so often.
The 1892, 1906 and 1907 but especially the 1906 1-Corona are toughies

The five Corona coins 1900, 1907, (1908) and the two 1909's are a little
expensive in upper grades but obtainable.
The minor coins are more of a challenge to put together a set due to the low
price of a lot of them.

My favorite time period to collect coins from is the time between the World
Wars.

Dale

Old January 14th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

Forgot
Here is the link to my 1908 1-Corona,
Not too bad shape
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/.../1908-1Cor.jpg

Dale

Old January 15th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT"cableone.net wrote in Forgot
Here is the link to my 1908 1-Corona,
Not too bad shape
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/.../1908-1Cor.jpg

Dale

All of mine are higher grade circs, but I think on a couple of them I may
upgrade. I briefly owned a 4 Ducat but then turned around and sold it. No
more gold for me, unless I can find an original 100 Corona.

Old January 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT"cableone.net wrote in Forgot
Here is the link to my 1908 1-Corona,
Not too bad shape
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/.../1908-1Cor.jpg

Dale

All of mine are higher grade circs, but I think on a couple of them I may
upgrade. I briefly owned a 4 Ducat but then turned around and sold it.
No more gold for me, unless I can find an original 100 Corona.

I have owned two gold coins in my life, a 1/4 oz eagle and a
$5 Capital Visitor Center Commemorative. Sold both.
Maybe I need a first lady coin..............nah!!!

Dale

Old January 17th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT"cableone.net wrote in Forgot
Here is the link to my 1908 1-Corona,
Not too bad shape
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/.../1908-1Cor.jpg

Dale

All of mine are higher grade circs, but I think on a couple of them I may
upgrade. I briefly owned a 4 Ducat but then turned around and sold it.
No more gold for me, unless I can find an original 100 Corona.

I have owned two gold coins in my life, a 1/4 oz eagle and a
$5 Capital Visitor Center Commemorative. Sold both.
Maybe I need a first lady coin..............nah!!!

Dale

If you need a First Lady coin, buy a Dolley dollar. There's a REAL
First Lady.

Jerry
Hillary who?

Old January 17th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT"cableone.net wrote in Forgot
Here is the link to my 1908 1-Corona,
Not too bad shape
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/.../1908-1Cor.jpg

Dale

All of mine are higher grade circs, but I think on a couple of them I
may
upgrade. I briefly owned a 4 Ducat but then turned around and sold it.
No more gold for me, unless I can find an original 100 Corona.

I have owned two gold coins in my life, a 1/4 oz eagle and a
$5 Capital Visitor Center Commemorative. Sold both.
Maybe I need a first lady coin..............nah!!!

Dale

If you need a First Lady coin, buy a Dolley dollar. There's a REAL
First Lady.

Jerry
Hillary who?

I have the Dolly Madison Commemorative and it is one of the better looking
coins in that entire group.
Dale