Serendipity

Old August 11th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Serendipity

This evening I noticed that I had not opened a box of books
that I had bought most inexpensively two or three months
ago. On perusing its contents, I found a copy of Hilton's
Goodbye Mr. Chips, Hodder & Stoughton, but only a ninth
printing from 1938 and no dust jacket. But there was one
point of interest. There was the imprint of a circular seal
bearing an elaborate design and the words "Ex Libris Clare
Booth Luce".

Francis A. Miniter

Old August 11th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_7_]

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
. ..
This evening I noticed that I had not opened a box of books that I had
bought most inexpensively two or three months ago. On perusing its
contents, I found a copy of Hilton's Goodbye Mr. Chips, Hodder &
Stoughton, but only a ninth printing from 1938 and no dust jacket. But
there was one point of interest. There was the imprint of a circular seal
bearing an elaborate design and the words "Ex Libris Clare Booth Luce".

Wow! The woman who assassinated old Abe Lincoln at the Chevrolet Theater?
That's a great brag!

Old August 11th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

foad wrote:
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
. ..
This evening I noticed that I had not opened a box of books that I had
bought most inexpensively two or three months ago. On perusing its
contents, I found a copy of Hilton's Goodbye Mr. Chips, Hodder &
Stoughton, but only a ninth printing from 1938 and no dust jacket. But
there was one point of interest. There was the imprint of a circular seal
bearing an elaborate design and the words "Ex Libris Clare Booth Luce".

Wow! The woman who assassinated old Abe Lincoln at the Chevrolet Theater?
That's a great brag!

I suppose the seal might have had an "e" in there!

Francis A. Miniter
Old August 12th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

wrote:
This evening I noticed that I had not opened a box of books
that I had bought most inexpensively two or three months
ago. *On perusing its contents, I found a copy of Hilton's
Goodbye Mr. Chips, Hodder & Stoughton, but only a ninth
printing from 1938 and no dust jacket. *But there was one
point of interest. *There was the imprint of a circular seal
bearing an elaborate design and the words "Ex Libris Clare
Booth Luce".

Francis A. Miniter

In a similar incidence, about 15 years or so ago I found a copy of the
Hardy Boys book "The Tower Treasure" with a bookplate stating it was a
"Grosset & Dunlap, Inc. Office File Copy" complete with printing and
binding information.
A scan of it graces the bottom of the "Original Series" page of my
Hardy Boys site:
http://hardyboys.bobfinnan.com/hbos.htm