on handwriting

Old May 5th 04, 09:01 AM
Juan

Default on handwriting

Hi, I recently have received some "complaints" from some friends and
coworkers about my handwriting. It is cursive, and I use F/M nibs (of
course fps). What's going on? My handwriting is not bad; it is not
like that rounded and separated letters some (most) people use though.
A coworker even suggested me to use printing (!!!???)
Do I have to pretend I'm in kindergarden so as my handwriting can be
read or what? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Note: I know that since you haven't seen my handwriting it might seem
hard to have an opinion, but trust me, it is not bad, just cursive
with a fountain pen.

Juan
Old May 5th 04, 01:59 PM
Quarter Horseman

Specific to your own handwriting, no one here can judge objectively w/o
seeing it first. How about scanning a sample and putting it in the
a.c.p-p.binary NG?

My handwriting is not bad; it is not
like that rounded and separated letters some (most) people use though.

Well, proper rounding and separation are core requirements for
legibility, aren't they? The worse these attributes, the more has to be
assumed from context, and context can provide guidance to a reader only
up to a certain point. I can recall an old postwar Pelikan ad that
contained a writing sample that was absolutely atrocious and illegible
(should've gotten the student held back in first grade), and I can read
and write in German!

My gut feeling is that there is a real problem and that the only unknown
is the degree of seriousness.
Old May 5th 04, 02:37 PM
mz

Juan wrote:

Hi, I recently have received some "complaints" from some friends and
coworkers about my handwriting. It is cursive, and I use F/M nibs (of
course fps). What's going on? My handwriting is not bad; it is not
like that rounded and separated letters some (most) people use though.
A coworker even suggested me to use printing (!!!???)
Do I have to pretend I'm in kindergarden so as my handwriting can be
read or what? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Note: I know that since you haven't seen my handwriting it might seem
hard to have an opinion, but trust me, it is not bad, just cursive
with a fountain pen.

Juan

Handwriting is a means of communication first and foremost. If
others can't read it, then it fails at its primary function
regardless of whether you can read it yourself or like its
"look." That said, it doesn't mean you have to revert to
printing. Having suffered from the same type of problem,
others found my cursive writing became much more legible when
I slowed down my writing. That alone resulted in more time
spent forming each letter, producing the desired result:
legibility. Whether that works for you or not, it seems some
type of adjustment is needed.

Mark Z.
Old May 5th 04, 07:32 PM
Bluesea

"Juan" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I recently have received some "complaints" from some friends and
coworkers about my handwriting. It is cursive, and I use F/M nibs (of
course fps). What's going on? My handwriting is not bad; it is not
like that rounded and separated letters some (most) people use though.
A coworker even suggested me to use printing (!!!???)
Do I have to pretend I'm in kindergarden so as my handwriting can be
read or what? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Note: I know that since you haven't seen my handwriting it might seem
hard to have an opinion, but trust me, it is not bad, just cursive
with a fountain pen.

Juan

Yeah, opinions are subjective and since we can't see a sample here, all we
have to go by is what you posted.

You say it's not bad, yet you've had friends and co-workers complain and one
even suggested that you print.

Do the math.

(Have you tried an XF nib? My writing looks much nicer w/ an XF than with a
M.)

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 5th 04, 08:08 PM
Juan

mz wrote in message ...
Juan wrote:

[...]

I've tried to slow down, and it is more legible, but that doesn't seem
to be the problem. I'll try to explain: I haven't had this "problem"
before; rather the opposite: people used to say that I had a nice
handwriting, and it hasn't changed since.
When I use a fp, I use a different angle than when I (rarely) use a
bp, so line width variation appears (I like that). Then there's the
question that even a F nib writes broader than a M bp, so I have to
use bigger letters to make them legible.
The problem seems to be that many people is not familiar with fp
handwriting; at least that's my impression.
As a reference, the handwriting here

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink-02.htm#blue

resembles mine, although my letters are broader.

Any opinions? Juan
Old May 5th 04, 09:16 PM
Bluesea

"Juan" wrote in message
om...

I've tried to slow down, and it is more legible, but that doesn't seem
to be the problem. I'll try to explain: I haven't had this "problem"
before; rather the opposite: people used to say that I had a nice
handwriting, and it hasn't changed since.
When I use a fp, I use a different angle than when I (rarely) use a
bp, so line width variation appears (I like that). Then there's the
question that even a F nib writes broader than a M bp, so I have to
use bigger letters to make them legible.
The problem seems to be that many people is not familiar with fp
handwriting; at least that's my impression.
As a reference, the handwriting here

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink-02.htm#blue

resembles mine, although my letters are broader.

Any opinions? Juan

Hopefully, the writing on that site looks better in RL than it does on a
computer monitor because, IMO, it's bad enough that I'd refuse to read
anything by anyone who wrote that way. Since your writing is broader, I
might not have such a negative reaction - it's hard to tell w/o actually
seeing it.

I'm curious:

1. When you used to get compliments, was that when you wrote with a bp *and*
with a fp?

2. Why do you change angle when you use a fp? Are you a leftie? What happens
if you don't change angle? Do the complaints cease? I might be dense because
I'm not understanding how people not being familiar w/ fp writing can be the
problem because, to me, writing is writing whether it's pencil, bp, fp,
felt-tip, whatever, and it's either easy to read or else it has varying
degrees of difficulty which progresses until it's illegible. Yes, you might
have to adjust your writing to compensate for the type of line that the
instrument produces or else change the writing instrument, but that's just
part of the drill.

3. If your handwriting hasn't changed since you received compliments, what
did? It seems to me that something must have changed for you to go from
receiving compliments to receiving complaints. That's seems to be a pretty
drastic swing even if the people viewing your writing aren't the same as
before, even if they aren't used to fp's.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 5th 04, 09:21 PM
Bluesea

"Bluesea" wrote in message

snip

3. If your handwriting hasn't changed since you received compliments, what
did?

Have you changed ink or paper? Maybe there's more feathering that is making
your writing more difficult for others to read than before.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 5th 04, 11:19 PM
David W. Drake

morten wrote:

Now, there is a simple
method of training young lefties to write legibly (as simple as
turning the page a bit and changing angle). While I've tried to
master this, it gives me headaches. I wish that method had been known
when I was a kid. At least my script is a conversation starter.
"Good God! Can you read that?!"

What is this method?! Where can I find it--on the internet, in a book,
or where? I'm willing to give it a try, headaches and all.

I'm left-handed, but I just twist the paper about 30 degrees to the
right, hold my hand about like the mirror image of a right hander's
hand, and let my letters slope to the left. I can read it later, but
who knows if anyone else can.

To explain "who knows if anyone else can", I was told forty-seven years
ago in second grade that smudged, malformed,
almost-completely-unreadable-even-by-me, handwriting which sloped to the
right (only because I'd forced my hand into a painful arc) was (while in
itself a disgraceful failure) infinitely preferable to what I then
perceived as clear, legible handwriting which sloped to the left. I've
been trying to find something that works for me _and_ other people ever
since.

Sorry about the little rant.

--
David W. Drake
Old May 5th 04, 11:33 PM
Quarter Horseman

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink-02.htm#blue

resembles mine, although my letters are broader.

Nasty. I side with the complainants.