Therapy needed?

Old April 23rd 04, 06:14 AM
Hal Whelply

Default Therapy needed?

OK, I know I'm among friends, so I can admit this, and it will go no
further, right? Stays in this room? OK. See, I have all these wonderful FPs.
A couple north of $500 to purrchase. Several more not far below that. I love
them. I use them. But recently I got hold of a pack of Pilot G-2 rolling
ball gel pens. And that's when and how it all started....

They're light. Flick the button on top to extend the point, you're ready to
write. No cap to post or recap, nor to lose. Push the button again, back in
the pocket it goes. If I lose it, no big deal (what are they, $2? $3 or
so?). I can relax instead of reflexively, impulsively, habitually feeling my
shirt pocket now and then (looks like some sort of salute).

The Pilots are extremely smooth. The rubber grip is comortable. Ink flows
effortlessly. Nope, the feel of ball-to-paper isn't as deliciously tactile
as nib-to-paper. But that's a small price for this...this ease, this
convenience, this...this release! And I don't have to keep filling the damn
thing, or replace another of those teensy-weensy European-size, two-drop ink
cartridges! I just write, it runs dry, I throw it away, and I grab another.
No relationship to maintain. No emotional attachment.

But how can I be thinking this way? I feel guilty. Like I've betrayed
someone. I avert my eyes when I see one of my fine writing instruments
languishing while I grab the Pilot.

So, the question: anyone else been through this? Does it end OK, or is there
trauma ahead? Is this just a phase? Has this been diagnosed? Is there some
rehab place I can go for treatment? Is it treatable?

HW

Old April 23rd 04, 08:03 AM
Earl Camembert

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:14:54 -0700, "Hal Whelply"
wrote:

[...]

This has been going on for about fifty years.
Old April 23rd 04, 06:52 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Hal Whelply wrote:

And I don't have to keep filling the damn thing, or replace another of
those teensy-weensy European-size, two-drop ink cartridges! I just
write, it runs dry, I throw it away, and I grab another. No
relationship to maintain. No emotional attachment.

One of the reasons I use fountain pens is my fundamental feeling that
"reduce, reuse, recycle" is the better way to go. So, for me, I don't
look at it as a chore. But that's my perspective.

But how can I be thinking this way? I feel guilty. Like I've betrayed
someone. I avert my eyes when I see one of my fine writing instruments
languishing while I grab the Pilot.

You know, you could get a perfectly fine capless rollerball and use the
gel pen refills for it.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
Old April 23rd 04, 07:32 PM
Ron Wilbanks

Hal Whelply wrote:
OK, I know I'm among friends, so I can admit this, and it will go no
further, right? Stays in this room? OK. See, I have all these wonderful FPs.
A couple north of $500 to purrchase. Several more not far below that. I love
them. I use them. But recently I got hold of a pack of Pilot G-2 rolling
ball gel pens. And that's when and how it all started....

Tisk tisk tisk! Well maybe it's a relief to know that Pilot traces it's
herritage back to the Namiki Fountain Pen Company in Japan.

Pilot also makes the "Varsity" fountain pen, but it's not quite like the
higher end Namiki pens, but the cool thing is that it's inexpensive
and disposable. That's right you don't have to worry about loosing it
and when it runs out of ink, you simply too it into the trash can.
Moreover, the pen comes in five colors: black, blue, pink, purple and
turqoise.

They're light. Flick the button on top to extend the point, you're ready to
write. No cap to post or recap, nor to lose. Push the button again, back in
the pocket it goes. If I lose it, no big deal (what are they, $2? $3 or
so?). I can relax instead of reflexively, impulsively, habitually feeling my
shirt pocket now and then (looks like some sort of salute).

I think you are a man truly ahead of his time and would love the "Namiki
Vanishing Point Disposable," which will be out just as soon as Pilot
invents it. ;-)

The Pilots are extremely smooth. The rubber grip is comortable. Ink flows
effortlessly. Nope, the feel of ball-to-paper isn't as deliciously tactile
as nib-to-paper. But that's a small price for this...this ease, this
convenience, this...this release! And I don't have to keep filling the damn
thing, or replace another of those teensy-weensy European-size, two-drop ink
cartridges! I just write, it runs dry, I throw it away, and I grab another.
No relationship to maintain. No emotional attachment.

When I was in school, I would always carry one of these pens to hand out
in case someone needed one during an exam or to take notes with. I gave
one of my Shaeffer pens to a friend to write with and he really screwed
the nib up and it was very scratchy afterwards, so I learned my lesson
about lending fountain pens to others.

But how can I be thinking this way? I feel guilty. Like I've betrayed
someone. I avert my eyes when I see one of my fine writing instruments
languishing while I grab the Pilot.

Don't worry this is just a phase and you will over come it soon.
However, don't forget to show your fountain pens that you do love them
and just to make sure they are happy, order them some nice
Clairefontaine paper from Sam at Pendomonium.com. ;-)

So, the question: anyone else been through this? Does it end OK, or is there
trauma ahead?

Well if you fountain pens get disgusted with you and leave home and are
found on Route 66 looking for a ride to a better home, then you know how
bad they feel. So please make it a point to write letters and notes to
your friends using them often. Also, a good rinse and cleaning is ideal
for helping them perform with optimum results.

Is this just a phase? Has this been diagnosed? Is there some
rehab place I can go for treatment? Is it treatable?

Yes, buy some Aurora Black and Blue, followed by some Waterman Florida
Blue, Green if you desire, maybe even some Platinum Red if you want to
do it in an attention getting fashion.

Then go to places with a lot females in it and they will notice your
fountain pens and will compliment you on what a "cool pen" you have,
thus raising your ego and snapping you out of this phase you are in.

Good luck! We're all pulling for you to recover completely. ;-)

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!

Old April 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
KCat

I think it's normal - to some extent.

I think I'm abnormal so I can't really relate to what you are going through.
I find inking pens, tweaking nibs, mixing ink, etc all to be part of the joy
of using FPs.

I despise having to use BPs for certain things (writing checks, filling out
forms.)

But I like gel pens - they are not as economical as regular BPs but they are
easier for me to use than any other non-FP writing instrument because they
require less pressure on the page. I truly do use FPs in part due to
illness which causes me considerable hand pain. At least that's how it
started. My current favorite gel pen is the Zebra Sarasa - these are great
little disposables with rich, unique inks. No flashy or cutesy colours -
instead a Mahogany that is almost indistinguishable from PR Burgundy Mist, a
gorgeous dark forest green, and an "antique blue" - Zebra calls it "cobalt".
I also have a Pilot Dr. Grip with a purple refill (which is more of a plum
colour.

Buuut... actually - for tactile feedback - the second-best thing to a good
FP is a good mechanical pencil. not as easy on the pained hands, but more
enjoyable than even a gel. Something about a good pencil (Pelikan D200!) on
a nice green engineering pad is almost as much fun as an FP on a rich,
smooth paper.

yes - I do have a problem.

Old April 24th 04, 07:11 AM
Bluesea

"Hal Whelply" wrote in message
snip
I just write, it runs dry, I throw it away, and I grab another.
No relationship to maintain. No emotional attachment.

But how can I be thinking this way? I feel guilty.

Yes, you should feel guilty! Why are you throwing the G-2's away instead of
buying refills for them???

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 24th 04, 08:58 PM
Hal Whelply

Thank you! I needed that! Doubtless you won't believe it, but I just
unscrewed one. Yup, there's a refill! What a concept! Honestly (all
ignorance on embarrassing display here): I did not know it could be
disassembled and a fresh refill loaded.

I am appropriately chastised, but repent and promise to do better.

HW

Old April 25th 04, 08:24 PM
Bluesea

You're welcome . I just happen to be one of those who has to take pens
apart as soon as I buy them to see what's inside. I've even done it to Bic
sticks (is *that* sick or what?).

Sorry that I couldn't help with your original concern. Since I have an
assortment of Fisher, Parker, Pentel and Sensa bps; Parker, Pentel, and G-2
gels (ran out of Sakuras); as well as fps and inks myself, I didn't think
I'd be much help there - lol. BTW, the Pentel sticks are refillable, too.

"Gel pens are the next best thing to being there."

--
~~Bluesea~~looking forward to Sensa's fall line of gel pens

Old April 26th 04, 02:09 AM
Tommy C. Li

Old April 26th 04, 03:50 AM
Hal Whelply

Tommy, you say "back when I used gels," which suggests that you do no
longer. If you abandoned gels, why? And what have you gone (back?) to?

Thanks.

HW