British postal clerks, up to their old tricks.

Old June 17th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default British postal clerks, up to their old tricks.

An advert for a dog's refuge home.

Check the Machins in the background

http://cjoint.com/data/grb0Gzo6Pu.htm

Old June 17th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Ray[_4_]

rodney wrote:
An advert for a dog's refuge home.

Check the Machins in the background

http://cjoint.com/data/grb0Gzo6Pu.htm

Even when they are cancelled with a circular date stamp they can be
spoiled for collectors, as the block of four shows. I wish that Royal
Mail would invest in the type of date stamps that are used, for example,
in Germany and Switzerland.

--
John Ray
Old June 17th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Here, here.
I find it curious that a country with such a proud history of philately,
actually allows it to continue.
But then again, who cares? everybody is collecting mint unhinged with gum.

Old June 17th 09, 11:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

Here, here.
I find it curious that a country with such a proud history of philately,
actually allows it to continue.
But then again, who cares? everybody is collecting mint unhinged with gum.

Um - no. Not everybody.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 17th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 17 June, 02:19, John Ray wrote:
rodney wrote:
An advert for a dog's refuge home.

Check the Machins in the background *

http://cjoint.com/data/grb0Gzo6Pu.htm

Even when they are cancelled with a circular date stamp they can be
spoiled for collectors, as the block of four shows. I wish that Royal
Mail would invest in the type of date stamps that are used, for example,
in Germany and Switzerland.

--
John Ray

They did have neat cancellers, but a few years ago washing off the
cancels and selling "unfranked no gum" stamps on eBay rose to epidemic
proportions. Hence the killer cancels were introduced. It didn't
really work, as there are so many skips anyway. So now we have stamps
with little lozenge-shaped roulettes which will allegedly cause them
to self-destruct if soaked. ISTR someone here saying that they _can_
be soaked, but I've only just started to receive them, and yet to try
it.

Chris
Old June 17th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Not that I recall Chris,
there was somebody here talking about soaking Aussie peel and stick.