I pity the poor fool who bids on this!

Old August 21st 03, 06:45 PM
Ed Hendricks

Default I pity the poor fool who bids on this!

"Leo M. Cavanaugh III" wrote in
message
At
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=52 9
if you don't read the description carefully you might think you're
getting a 1995-W proof SAE instead of these silver-plated knock offs.

Granted this auction is obviously intended to rope in the gullible and the
greedy. However, the following words were lifted directly from the auction
commemoration, Proof Replica, "copy"

Anyone who bids on this thinking he is getting an authentic coin deserves
his fleecing. :-)

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 21st 03, 07:42 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message

What description? I see only a picture of the obverse.
Aram.

This description, the words "commemoration, proof replica and copy" are
colored red to highlight them:
------------------

1995 "W" SILVER EAGLE COMMEMORATIVE PROOF
**** NO RESERVE ******

In 1995 the West Point Mint struck a limited edition of only 30,000 Proof
Silver Eagles for collectors.

This low mintage combined with the popularity of the .999 Pure Silver, 40mm
diameter dollar coins sent this limited edition's price to 2000 to 3000
times face value!

Now, in commemoration of this special issue, you can get your own 1995 Pure
Silver Clad West Point Silver Eagle Proof at only a fraction of the
original's cost.

Specifications:
Composition: 100 Mil .999 Pure Silver Clad Base

Base Weight: 1 oz. avdp

Diameter: 39mm Silver Dollar Size

Condition: Individually Struck Proof Replica

Edition Limit: 2,250

Includes

CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY

Product will be shipped within 48 hours of receipt of payment.

No Reserve!!!
This proof complies with the Hobby Protection Act of 1973 and is clearly
marked "copy" on the reverse.

----------------

I agree that by not including the word replica (or something similar) in the
auction title and by not picturing the reverse, he was deliberately being
evasive with the hope of suckering in the greedy. I am definitely not
defending this seller. Just pointing out that it would take a very gullible
bidder, indeed, to be taken in by it.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 21st 03, 10:52 PM
J. A. M.

Ed Hendricks wrote:

[...]

I had to open the page in an editor to see the description. This is a very deceitful seller.

JAM
Old August 21st 03, 11:06 PM
Arthur Hardy

In my opinion you should not even be allowed to place an auction listing for
a fake in the same category as real coins. There should be a category called
"Garbage, Fakes or Cheap knock offs" But hey what do I know, And what I
think don't mean ****.

ART

"Leo M. Cavanaugh III" wrote in
message ...
At

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=52 9
if you don't read the description carefully you might think you're getting

1995-W proof SAE instead of these silver-plated knock offs.
--

In actual reality, there are no Reid and Anti Reids. There are only Anti

Reids.

- Reid Goldsborough 2003

Old August 21st 03, 11:29 PM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
says...
At
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=52 9
if you don't read the description carefully you might think you're getting a
1995-W proof SAE instead of these silver-plated knock offs.

Leo, when I read the subject line, I thought Mr. T. had possibly abducted
you and stole your computer!

;o)

--
~~~Chrysta~~~

ANA#R-206318

My Collection: http://www.chrystawilson.com

The Truth About Eric Tillery:
http://www.chrystawilson.com/aboutk6az.html
Old August 22nd 03, 01:47 AM
Coin Saver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=52 9
if you don't read the description carefully you might think you're getting a
1995-W proof SAE instead of these silver-plated knock offs.

He states in the description, near the end, that the word COPY is on the
reverse, but he only shows images of the obverse. I agree that this seems to be
somewhat a questionable way to deal.

8-/
Coin Saver
Old August 22nd 03, 04:57 AM
George D

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote:

Ed Hendricks wrote:

"Leo M. Cavanaugh III" wrote in
message
At
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=52 9
if you don't read the description carefully you might think you're
getting a 1995-W proof SAE instead of these silver-plated knock offs.

Granted this auction is obviously intended to rope in the gullible and the
greedy. However, the following words were lifted directly from the auction
commemoration, Proof Replica, "copy"

Anyone who bids on this thinking he is getting an authentic coin deserves
his fleecing. :-)

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621
eBay: edh.

What description? I see only a picture of the obverse.
Aram.

OK here is what I did

Netscape 4.7 Photos and no description at all.

IE ? Lots of description and NO photos or other graphics.

That's all folks.....
--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

The reward for a good deed is to have done it.

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.
Old August 22nd 03, 06:42 AM
Ron

Since I haven't sold yet on ebay, only bought, correct me if I am
wrong......doesn't he basically have only 1 pic? Doesn't ebay charge
you more to have more than 1 pic?

I read the ad....he referenced MANY things pertaining to this being a
replica/copy.
Yes, my first thought was "where's the reverse picture?" but, his
description was more than adequate.

I have seen people on ebay try to hide the fact something is a
copy...it appears to me this seller is repeating it over and over.

As to the fact that some people think that replicas/copies belong in a
"garbage" category......maybe some people want it so they can feel
complete for whatever reason they have and there is NO way they could
afford $2300 for the real thing (at least not at the moment). They
may not look in a "garbage" category, but may chance on this auction
while looking for something else.

So, I don't find the auction deceitful...as someone else has said, the
ones for National Mint appear more deceitful (to me at least) and this
one, to me, seemed to want the title to bring people in and then told
them what it was all about.

Nothing different than many other businesses' sales tactics.

Old August 22nd 03, 08:11 AM
Phil DeMayo

George D wrote:

OK here is what I did
Netscape 4.7 Photos and no description at all.
IE ? Lots of description and NO photos or other graphics.
That's all folks.....

Netscape 7.01.....everything.

He should have included the word "COPY" or "REPLICA" in the auction title.
Other than that the most deceptive statement (and I believe this is same as
used by the manufacturer):

"Composition: 100 Mil .999 Pure Silver Clad Base"

Translation: silver plating over God knows what.

Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

Gretzky jersey big bids Mark S. Autographs 0 December 1st 03 02:44 PM
FA: Nintendo games, lotsa rare games Biff Babblecabbage General 0 November 27th 03 11:16 PM
FA: Disney ornaments and Alice in Wonderland items (3D pictures,bobble-head) John Zimmerman General 0 October 20th 03 03:12 AM
Multi bids L@@K Doggo Coins 5 August 9th 03 09:56 PM
FA: Stuffed animals - Care Bear, Gund, Applause, others John Zimmerman General 0 July 13th 03 03:50 PM