counterfeit '16D dime?

Old October 25th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bluemagic

Default counterfeit '16D dime?

I wish some of you members would look at this dime for sale on ebay.
It's item # 200040460178 (I don't know how to provide a link!). To me,
what remains of the D is too far to the left and below the leaves.
Thanks in advance--Bill

Old October 25th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kodakoda

Looks like a 16-P to me. The link is below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...chQ3aUSQQfviZ1

oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harvey Bastacky

I don't see a D at all

Looks like a 1916 plain to me.

oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"bluemagic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wish some of you members would look at this dime for sale on ebay.
It's item # 200040460178 (I don't know how to provide a link!). To me,
what remains of the D is too far to the left and below the leaves.
Thanks in advance--Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-D-Mercury-D...QQcmdZViewItem

When I have the page loaded for which I want to provide a link, I left click
once in the address bar and that highlights the contents of the address bar.
Then I right click and select the copy command. Then right click here and
select the paste command.

With regard to the dime, I see two possibilities to cause an unsaavy seller
to claim a "D" mint coin. First, as you see and say, the faint glob too far
to the left. Second, a ghost of a large "D" at a bad angle and too far to
the right. I think the coin is a Philadelphia product and the claim of a
"D" is just wishful thinking on the seller's part. He makes some mistaken
claims in some of his other auctions and I am inclined to think the seller
is just clueless.

Bill Krummel

Old October 25th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
WheatPenny

On 25 Oct 2006 09:54:17 -0700, "bluemagic"
climbed to the top of the minaret and sang out:

I wish some of you members would look at this dime for sale on ebay.
It's item # 200040460178 (I don't know how to provide a link!). To me,
what remains of the D is too far to the left and below the leaves.
Thanks in advance--Bill

There's no D on it.

---

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

(Charles M. Schulz)
Old October 26th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gary Loveless

On 25 Oct 2006 09:54:17 -0700, "bluemagic"
wrote:

200040460178

This Merc IS NOT a 16-D.....

Regards,

Gary Loveless

Old October 26th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob and Dee

Nobody has mentioned that he graded it VG. I think is V is upside down.
Should be about AG. I see no "D" either. Maybe it's an ultra-rare 1916-D
with a missing "D".

Bob

oups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

I don't see any mintmark. I read somewhere (probably on this forum)
that if a 16-D Merc appeared for sale on e-bay that it was most
assuredly a scam. Kathy